Leica M9 and M Monochrom Sensor Replacement program: August 2017 deadline

Brian

Product of the Fifties
CCD sensors of the Leica M9 / M9-P / M Monochrom and M-E camera models // 2017 // Global // Leica News // World of Leica - Leica Camera AG

After the middle of August the owner will pay for part of the Sensor replacement, the replacement includes a full CLA of the camera. Cameras bought new within 5 years continue with the free replacement. My M Monochrom is in for corrosion, my even older M9 shows no signs of a problem. I will check my M9 "again", so far it does not show any signs- and I know what to look for. Note that the S8612 cover glass is more efficient than the glass used to replace it, and it was used in the Kodak DCS/n and DCS/c sensors- far older than the M9.

After reading the cost of the service, what the service includes, and that a 1-year warranty was placed on the camera: I'm not disappointed or worried. The full CLA plus warranty is worth the asking price, the $2500 that would have been for the CCD itself- that's on Leica.

KAF-18500-NXA-JH-AA-08 ON Semiconductor | Sensors, Transducers | DigiKey

Digikey removed the price, as the S8612 version is obsolete. I looked it up a while ago. Was ~$2500 for the detector alone.

Last edited by a moderator:
Stop down your lens to F16, set to infinity- point at a source of flat lighting. I use the inside of a lampshade. If you seen some ugly black spots that do not move after blowing with an air blower or wet-bleaning, likely to be corrosion. Also- instead of dark spots, some looked like bubbles. My M Monochrom clearly failed this test, the M9 passed it. The M9 is older. Makes you wonder about the process used to coated the sensor, did it vary at all.

I had been procrastinating on sending in my M9 for about a year, so when I saw the announcement, off it went that week. Sensor corrosion was confirmed this morning, and I've elected to have the sensor replaced and not upgrade to a M240. In the meantime, I'm fondling my M7 and taking the occasional photo when out. Camera Clinic says that it will take anywhere between 2-8 weeks depending on when more sensors arrive.

I had been procrastinating on sending in my M9 for about a year, so when I saw the announcement, off it went that week. Sensor corrosion was confirmed this morning, and I've elected to have the sensor replaced and not upgrade to a M240. In the meantime, I'm fondling my M7 and taking the occasional photo when out. Camera Clinic says that it will take anywhere between 2-8 weeks depending on when more sensors arrive.

I should probably just send my M9 in ... don't know if it has corrosion or not, would have to do the lampshade test or similar.

Back