Leica M9 and M8 with Summicron 35 and 50

Raid

All-Pro
I decided yesterday to use my trusted Summicron 35/2 Version 1 (with 8 elements) and the Rigid 50/2. Both had hoods.

1. It was shortly before sunset:
I used the 35mm lens on the M9 here.

M9_Cron35--27-X2.jpg
Join to see EXIF info for this image (if available)

Link to additional images: M9_Cron35_2017 - raid

I used the 50mm lens on the M8 here.

M8_Cron50--29-X2.jpg

Link to additional images:
M8_Cron50_2017 - raid

2. I drove back to same location this morning around 7:40am. I switched around the lenses.

I used the 50mm lens on the M9 here.

M9_Cron50--23-X2.jpg

Link to additional images:M9_Cron50_2017 - raid

I used the 35mm lens on the M8 here:

M8_Cron35--3-X2.jpg

Link to additional images: M8_Cron35_2017 - raid

I like the results from these two old Summicron lenses with the "old digital" cameras. I started out with these two lenses and the M3, and I am returning to the same lenses over twenty five years later but I am using the M8 and the M9. I did not do any editing or PS here.

Your feedback is always welcome.
Thanks.

Dear Raid,

as always I'm astonished regarding the to me unfamiliar colours you are able to catch — I know, where you live it's a completely different climatic zone (that I couldn't suffer, to be honest), but these colours make me a bit envious :)

Lows in the Thirties in FLORIDA!

It was much colder in Virginia, we had a sheet of ice this week.

I have 7 weeks of accrued leave and a house in Navarre...

Wait, thirties in Fahrenheit, that's around freezing point, aka 0° Celsius?

Wow, I guess that's unusual. My temperature here is also unnormal, but the other direction; I had about 14-16 °C (57-61°F) this afternoon, while we should have definitely less!

Pensacola actually got snow not too long ago.

Growing up in Georgia: I was 11 before we scraped enough snow off the cars in the neighborhood to make one snowball. Moved to Virginia, they got a foot of snow a year later. Once in 100 years!

Looks like two great outings Raid, before and after work.

I note the 50mm on the M8 has more "reach" as expected. The bird has great clarity, and background has a bit of blur. So you were using a wide aperture, and relied on range-finder accuracy to get the bird in focus. Worked great.

In the morning, more light. So, looks like the 50mm on the M9 had the "easier" time of it with a tighter aperture, allowing greater depth of field. An over-all crisper shot, not that one or the other is more desirable.

I've tried shooting the M9 and the M240 on an afternoon outing, along with 5 total primes. That proved to be lots of confusion. Which lens was on which camera? Swap out that lens to go on the other camera, but have to take that other lens off of course. Juggling a bag, two Ms and two lenses ... I think you had the right idea: Two cameras two lenses, no swapping!

Thank you for your feedback, Carl. We have Spring Break at my university, so it was "before breakfast" and then "before dinner" for me and not related to before/after work. It is mostly about refocusing over and over as birds suddenly take off and they may fly close to me or not. The sunset shots were done with F 2 -4 maybe, while the morning shots were done with F 5.6-8 today. Yes, having the M8 and the M9 together works great.

I have so many image files now from "comparing lenses" over the years. It is fun to go over them and to get a feeling of how well or poorly I have done with each lens. In the end, it is not about the lenses, really. Most lenses can deliver good looking images.

Last edited by a moderator:
... In the end, it's not about the lenses, really. Most lenses can deliver good looking images.

So true! I think as we get better with our shots, we tend to get more critical of them too. I used to play golf, but it was too frustrating - now I wonder if I've reached that place with photography. :rolleyes-79:

My son is off on spring break from his studies. His dad couldn't convince him to take a few photography days wtih the old man. Off he went with his friends on some spring break jaunt. Left me to pick up his car at the shop, with $$$ brakes and maintenance repairs to pay for. Just glad I can do so for him, heh.

Last edited by a moderator:
So true! It's so great to travel to a completely new locale, and have some time for photography there.

I am lousy at coming up with "new ways of looking at the old!" :LOL:

It is challenging to visit the same place over and over for many years and to take similar looking photos (but I see differences).
It's a good reason to have a large collection of lenses and bring a different one to shoot that "same old Scene that you never get tired of"....

In the past, I used mainly 50mm lenses, but I have been using also 35mm lenses since I saw how beautiful some 35mm lenses worked with some cameras. In particular, I am biased to the pre-asph V2 Summilux 35/1.4 with the M9 (and used in warm light such as in Italy during the summer months). The colors come out very special (to my eyes, at least). I may have sharper 35mm lenses, but this is irrelevant here.

Back