Fuji Mabuhay from the Philippines!

Mikey

Veteran
I am a proud owner of an OM-D and decided to take the plunge into the Fuji X system after finding a killer deal on a silver X-E1 with the 18-55 kit zoom (1170usd new). I'm holding out on purchasing the 35/1.4 until after I give this baby a proper test run but alas, I am vacationing in the Philippines and won't get hold of this beaut until the end of the month. I can already tell that it's gonna be a long wait.

If the AF, stabilization, and subject isolation on the upcoming 55-200 is as good as Billy the Fuji guy claims, I just may find myself letting go of my OM-D. I've gotten tired of waiting for Olympus to release a (longer than the Panny 35-100) fast tele zoom (I would've been very satisfied with a 40-150/2.8-4). Handling should be ok since it's no bigger than the Panny 100-300 though a bit heavier.

To all the 18-55 users out there, I'm curious -- how slow can you go on the shutter speed with this lens? I heard the OIS provides a 3-stop advantage. I figure the higher ISO advantage would be more useful than 5-axis IBIS for fast moving kids. I'd appreciate any and all advice for this Fuji newbie. :D

Mikey

Thanks, Phoenix and Hyubie!

Ayus! Meron uling noypi. :)

Welcome! Glad you joined us and went over to the dark side. :clapping:

Hyubie, tayo pa lang ba Pinoy dito? I've been following the Mu-43 Pinoy thread but have never really posted anything. Itong uwi ko, it seems to me that the Philippines is pretty much still CaNikon territory. This past week my sister sold her Nikon system in order to switch to Fuji. The geek squad who she sold her lens to asked her if she was switching to micro four thirds then proceeded to make some condescending remarks about my beloved system. I have nothing against the system itself; it's just that Fuji will provide me with all the lenses I want by early next year. :)

Welcome Mikey!
Great choice.
I like your expression "CaNikon" territory.
I've been there but switched over. Not the 18-55 though.
Have a great time here and enjoy your X!
Peter

Hi. Pinoy din ako pero newbie ako hehe. I owned the OMD before too with the Pany Leica 25mm 1.4 and the 12-50 kit lens. I sold them last year and bought the X-E1 with 35mm 1.4. I'm loving it!

Thanks, Phoenix and Hyubie! Hyubie, tayo pa lang ba Pinoy dito? I've been following the Mu-43 Pinoy thread but have never really posted anything. )

+1 more Pinoy. Been here and on the m43 and SC sites as well. Still have the m43 system; I thought I would eventually move completely to Fuji, but have found the E-PL3 with the bodycap and tilting LCD too enjoyable to use for street, and the E-M5 great for using longer zooms. I do love the IQ from the larger sensor on the X-Pro much better, and the X10 is a great all-around camera with a nice maximum aperture.

May isang Pinoy na photographer who is still Pinas-based (Chuck Valerio) who writes a very good photo blog, and is also a Fuji X10 user.

Thanks Pniev and xdayv!

Ayos, good showing of Pinoys.!

Hi. Pinoy din ako pero newbie ako hehe. I owned the OMD before too with the Pany Leica 25mm 1.4 and the 12-50 kit lens. I sold them last year and bought the X-E1 with 35mm 1.4. I'm loving it!

Badradlad, ako semi-newbie din. First picked up a camera Jan 2012. My first camera was the E-PL3 like Penfan. Having owned the OM-D before, how difficult was it switching back to a camera without IBIS? I'm really tempted to buy the 35/1.4 as I've seen tons of great pics from that lens.

+1 more Pinoy. Been here and on the m43 and SC sites as well. Still have the m43 system; I thought I would eventually move completely to Fuji, but have found the E-PL3 with the bodycap and tilting LCD too enjoyable to use for street, and the E-M5 great for using longer zooms. I do love the IQ from the larger sensor on the X-Pro much better, and the X10 is a great all-around camera with a nice maximum aperture.

May isang Pinoy na photographer who is still Pinas-based (Chuck Valerio) who writes a very good photo blog, and is also a Fuji X10 user.

Penfan, thanks for the input about owning both systems. The 2 things preventing me from switching completely are the OMD and its 5-axis IBIS, and the 75/1.8. Shot a ballet recital yesterday from quite a bit away with horrible, horrible lighting and still came away with keeper shots (granted, I had to do aggressive cropping and do a lot of WB tweaking).

I'll certainly look at Chuck Valerio's work and bookmark his blog site. Thanks again!

Penfan, thanks for the input about owning both systems. The 2 things preventing me from switching completely are the OMD and its 5-axis IBIS, and the 75/1.8. Shot a ballet recital yesterday from quite a bit away with horrible, horrible lighting and still came away with keeper shots (granted, I had to do aggressive cropping and do a lot of WB tweaking).

I'll certainly look at Chuck Valerio's work and bookmark his blog site. Thanks again!

Mikey - agree. I use an old 4/3rd Olympus 70-300, which is huge on the E-M5. I can still get very good photos handheld at relatively slow speeds. I also love using the E-M5 for video, really good quality.

Hi Mikey. It's not too difficult because I also owned the Canon 550D with kit lens and 50mm 1.8 and Nikon D7000 with Tamron 17-50 and Sigma 50mm 1.4 and sold them before buying the OMD but I really miss the IBIS, tilting touch screen, weathersealing (I even shot a video while swimming at the beach then washed it with tap water after lol) and the super fast AF.

It felt frustrating at first because the focusing of the X-E1 + 35mm was so sloooooooow especially in low light but I got used to it and after the latest firmware upgrade early this year the AF improved.

Hi Mikey. It's not too difficult because I also owned the Canon 550D with kit lens and 50mm 1.8 and Nikon D7000 with Tamron 17-50 and Sigma 50mm 1.4 and sold them before buying the OMD but I really miss the IBIS, tilting touch screen, weathersealing (I even shot a video while swimming at the beach then washed it with tap water after lol) and the super fast AF.

It felt frustrating at first because the focusing of the X-E1 + 35mm was so sloooooooow especially in low light but I got used to it and after the latest firmware upgrade early this year the AF improved.

Thanks! That's very reassuring to hear. Now, I may just sell the OM-D to my brother for a cheap asking price to help finance the 35/1.4. If things don't go well with Fuji, I can always buy the next iteration of the OM-D. :p Question now is which of my primes to keep along with the 75/1.8.

hoy. i'm new here, myself. had the nex-7. loved that sensor. worked really well with legacy primes especially for video. gave it to my pops when i upgraded to the a77 with cz glass. my goodness, what a combination. but it wasn't quite practical for the 98% travel i do. i was missing the small form factor of a compact mirrorless system. then i was traveling with a konica slr and rangefinder. when looking for another rangefinder, i kept seeing these fuji x-systems coming up. then i'd notice an amazing aesthetic about the x-trans files. and their lens lineup made sense and followed what i'd want - 20mm, 35mm, 50mm, 85mm (2014) equivalences. i liked the fact that their native lenses were amazing compared to the e-mount system for the nex line. (i've always seen expensive sony hdv cameras with fujinon lenses.) plus, i always loved being able to quickly control shutter and aperture the traditional way. yeah, it may not be as fast, but like everyone else says, you think more about the pictures you take. idk.. i'm hooked on this system while my other system sits at home (waiting for any more serious stuff i may need to do).

(Sent from my EVO)

I'll add my welcome here, Mikey - though it's quite clear you've already made yourself at home. Glad to have you here!

Thanks a bunch, BB! Is it me or does there seem to be less activity here than on the Fuji X Forum website? On the other hand, people here are much much friendlier, akin to the Mu-43 forum. :friends:

hoy. i'm new here, myself. had the nex-7. loved that sensor. worked really well with legacy primes especially for video. gave it to my pops when i upgraded to the a77 with cz glass. my goodness, what a combination. but it wasn't quite practical for the 98% travel i do. i was missing the small form factor of a compact mirrorless system. then i was traveling with a konica slr and rangefinder. when looking for another rangefinder, i kept seeing these fuji x-systems coming up. then i'd notice an amazing aesthetic about the x-trans files. and their lens lineup made sense and followed what i'd want - 20mm, 35mm, 50mm, 85mm (2014) equivalences. i liked the fact that their native lenses were amazing compared to the e-mount system for the nex line. (i've always seen expensive sony hdv cameras with fujinon lenses.) plus, i always loved being able to quickly control shutter and aperture the traditional way. yeah, it may not be as fast, but like everyone else says, you think more about the pictures you take. idk.. i'm hooked on this system while my other system sits at home (waiting for any more serious stuff i may need to do).

(Sent from my EVO)

Welcome to the club, Romi! Great minds think alike -- like you, it was the lens lineup that sucked me in. The Fuji IQ and colors was only secondary but very much welcome nonetheless. :)

Back