Apple Mac Mini - which arrangement to use? Processor or storage?

wt21

Hall of Famer
I have a limited budget and am just a hobbyist, so need to keep costs pretty well contained.

I have an M1 MBA, but want to move to a Mini. I've got about $1K to spend.

I can get a refurb M1 mini with 1TB SDD and 16GB RAM

or

I can get a new M2 mini with 500GB SDD and 16GB RAM

My MBA 500GB drive is nearly full, so I need more storage. I also need new external drives because I'm sick of my spinning platters, so will go SSD.

Here's my question - which is better - the external port (TB4) and processor upgrade of the M2 but rely on external storage or get the better internal storage of the M1, but have a slightly slower processor and TB3 ports.

From why I understand the difference between the M1 and M2 is marginal at best - and really only seen at the limits. If it was me, I would go with the M1 and larger SDD, and a second external storage solution.
I agree on the processor, but then I read the thunderbolt ports on the M2 are TB4, which (should be) faster than on the M1, which are TB3. But from what I've read, it looks like the real life speeds are often limited by the drive controllers, so it's more theoretical than practical, and I am thinking getting the 1TB internal storage will be the fastest, but was wondering if I'm missing anything??

edit - to summarize, M2 has theoretically faster external disc access than M1, but it may be more theoretical than reality, and the internal SDD access is faster then either, so bigger internal storage is better?

Keep in mind that eventually Apple will discontinue support for the M1. The M2 will hang in a bit longer before support is discontinued. So if you want to maximize the lifespan of your investment, the M2 is a better choice.

A lot of editing programs use the Neural Engine on the M-line, and the performance is pretty solid, even on the base M1. I'd probably get the M1 with 1TB storage. I don't think M2 is worth it unless you're going to get the Pro version. I guess we'll see what M3 becomes. I had an M1 mini for a year and was never disappointed in the performance, for what it's worth. The dang thing wouldn't even consume more than 30W under load too. Quite an impressive first desktop CPU attempt from Apple, IMO.

Support is a factor, but keep in mind that the 2013 Mac Pro just finally got dropped off the new OS list. It's still not EOL though, as Apple typically maintains 3 generations of macOS, so Monterey support (last OS for Monterey) won't end for a couple more years. That's 12-13 years of software support. I don't see M1 getting cut versus M2. They aren't all that different.

By the time any portable device is on the market, it's already outdated ...

So buy the fastest, biggest, latest than you can afford.

Example: My wife needed a new tablet. Choices were 1) 4 GB RAM, 128 GB storage or 2) 8 GB RAM, 256 GB storage. Price difference of ~$100.

In 3-4 years, the $600 tablet will be on its limits. The $700 tablet will have another 3-4 years life before it hits its limits. Real cost of #1 is 2x $500 over 6-8 years (total = $1,000), versus #2 at $700 over that period.

Secondly, #2 is faster for the entire period, and ergonomically better, with higher battery capacity.

It always pays to look at total cost of ownership over the projected lifespan, plus unquantifiable benefits, such as speed, frustration, etc.

My recommendation is to buy the new M2 with a larger SSD. Save a bit longer, if needs be.

By the time any portable device is on the market, it's already outdated ...

So buy the fastest, biggest, latest than you can afford.

Example: My wife needed a new tablet. Choices were 1) 4 GB RAM, 128 GB storage or 2) 8 GB RAM, 256 GB storage. Price difference of ~$100.

In 3-4 years, the $600 tablet will be on its limits. The $700 tablet will have another 3-4 years life before it hits its limits. Real cost of #1 is 2x $500 over 6-8 years (total = $1,000), versus #2 at $700 over that period.

Secondly, #2 is faster for the entire period, and ergonomically better, with higher battery capacity.

It always pays to look at total cost of ownership over the projected lifespan, plus unquantifiable benefits, such as speed, frustration, etc.

My recommendation is to buy the new M2 with a larger SSD. Save a bit longer, if needs be.
While true, I don't think it's nearly as big a deal anymore, especially on desktops (which is what OP is looking for). If you aren't demanding the most performance money can buy, there's really very little wrong with something older. I find even the 2010 Mac Pro perfectly useable today, with a few modest upgrades. 2013 MP is also pretty solid. If the most you're doing is photo editing, and the MPs are not too steep, premium performance isn't going to get you that much more.

I'm not a fan of the current approach all the companies (Intel, AMD, NVIDIA) are taking to get you more performance. Top tier desktop CPUs consuming 300W+ at load, and premium GPUs climbing to 600W peaks. It's a downhill slide if that model continues. It not only consumes more energy (which is getting more expensive by the day), but it costs more to properly engineer and cool, so the designs themselves are more expensive and have more potential for failure. They could have given us 90% of that performance for way less power consumption, but that's not what they're doing. They need to come back to reality before I'll buy their new wares.

For what it's worth, I recently bought the Mini M1 1Tb 16Gb. It's a tremendous machine! I use an external SSD for raw storage. But speed requirements really aren't too high on that, so I don't think the M1 is limiting in this regard.

M2.
I bought the M1 with 16GB RAM and 256GB SSD drive in December 2020 and it has been a jewel. I have a 1TB SSD attached as my data drive and there is no delay swapping information. The M2 processor and upgraded ports are worth it, though, and I would not hesitate to buy it.

I have a limited budget and am just a hobbyist, so need to keep costs pretty well contained.

I have an M1 MBA, but want to move to a Mini. I've got about $1K to spend.

I can get a refurb M1 mini with 1TB SDD and 16GB RAM

or

I can get a new M2 mini with 500GB SDD and 16GB RAM

My MBA 500GB drive is nearly full, so I need more storage. I also need new external drives because I'm sick of my spinning platters, so will go SSD.

Here's my question - which is better - the external port (TB4) and processor upgrade of the M2 but rely on external storage or get the better internal storage of the M1, but have a slightly slower processor and TB3 ports.
I don't know if it's to late if you already bought it.

I have come to the conclusion that under 1.000 £/€/$ the Apple M1 and M2 Mac Mini is the fastest and cheapest computer you can buy FOR photo editing and mid-level video editing (not multi stream 4K or 8K video native ProRes RAW).

M2 is literally M1 with a higher clock speed and a faster RAM interconnect but only if you get the 24GB.
Thunderbolt 4 has 40GB/s throughput but it's difficult to push that much data unless you are having multiple 4K or 6K video output AND external storage read/write at the same time. For photo editing Thunderbolt 3 is more then enough.

Depending on the budget I recommend M1 because you get 98% of the performance at a cheaper price WITH better SSD speeds (no necessarily something you will feel a different unless you push the Page System when you run out of RAM, like hundreds of pixel panorama stitching, hundreds of pictures foxu stacking or multiple 4K streams video editing)

Going behind the reasons I bough a Mac Mini M1 was 16GB is sufficient for 32 MP Sony RAW files and I have 512GB (dual 256GB M.2 SSDs in RAID 0) system storage for when I do make huge files.
M1 and M2 are going to be throw in the same Update Support because the architecture is identical, with the average of 8 years of software support from Apple and coming out in 2020 there's at least 5 more years left, possibly until 2030?

With storage on Macs you don't have to go with Apples stupid pricing (they get more then 400% profit on just SSD storage at the prices they are asking). 256GB is ok-ish and 512GB is perfect.
If you want more storage just add more through external docks, enclosures or DAS/NAS. For the money you pay for a 2TB model you can get 8TB external storage attached and the Type C Thunderbolts are incredibly fast and effective. You can even get more M.2 or SATA SSD storage if you buy it separately and add it through external enclosure.

I don't know if it's to late if you already bought it.

I have come to the conclusion that under 1.000 £/€/$ the Apple M1 and M2 Mac Mini is the fastest and cheapest computer you can buy FOR photo editing and mid-level video editing (not multi stream 4K or 8K video native ProRes RAW).

M2 is literally M1 with a higher clock speed and a faster RAM interconnect but only if you get the 24GB.
Thunderbolt 4 has 40GB/s throughput but it's difficult to push that much data unless you are having multiple 4K or 6K video output AND external storage read/write at the same time. For photo editing Thunderbolt 3 is more then enough.

Depending on the budget I recommend M1 because you get 98% of the performance at a cheaper price WITH better SSD speeds (no necessarily something you will feel a different unless you push the Page System when you run out of RAM, like hundreds of pixel panorama stitching, hundreds of pictures foxu stacking or multiple 4K streams video editing)

Going behind the reasons I bough a Mac Mini M1 was 16GB is sufficient for 32 MP Sony RAW files and I have 512GB (dual 256GB M.2 SSDs in RAID 0) system storage for when I do make huge files.
M1 and M2 are going to be throw in the same Update Support because the architecture is identical, with the average of 8 years of software support from Apple and coming out in 2020 there's at least 5 more years left, possibly until 2030?

With storage on Macs you don't have to go with Apples stupid pricing (they get more then 400% profit on just SSD storage at the prices they are asking). 256GB is ok-ish and 512GB is perfect.
If you want more storage just add more through external docks, enclosures or DAS/NAS. For the money you pay for a 2TB model you can get 8TB external storage attached and the Type C Thunderbolts are incredibly fast and effective. You can even get more M.2 or SATA SSD storage if you buy it separately and add it through external enclosure.
Thanks! I did get a mini already - an M1 w/16GB RAM but I also got a 1TB drive. I had a nearly full 1/2 TB drive, so this gave me a bit more room without rearranging my drive. After researching the M2, I came to the same conclusion - M1 was just a better buy. Also, I got it refurb for about $220 less than a similar configured M2.

Thanks! I did get a mini already - an M1 w/16GB RAM but I also got a 1TB drive. I had a nearly full 1/2 TB drive, so this gave me a bit more room without rearranging my drive. After researching the M2, I came to the same conclusion - M1 was just a better buy. Also, I got it refurb for about $220 less than a similar configured M2.
Congratulations. I got mine refurbished as well, by a 3rd party and it came in great condition, got the M1 16GB 512GB for 761 £.

Back