Fuji Macro Button

flash

Veteran
Name
Gordon
What's it supposed to do? I've Googled and Googled. The best i can find is a reference to it changing the focusing algorithm to better suit close focusing. But I see little or no difference on the lenses i own (18-55, 55-200 and 35mm). It certainly doesn't let me focus closer.

Am I missing something? Or is this yet another Fuji quirk (of which I'm finding many).

Gordon

Gordon,
You don't say what camera you are using, and maybe they are all the same. On the X100 (and to the best of my recollection the X-Pro and X-E, but it's been awhile since I used them), the macro button merely allows closer focusing (although you still can't focus closer than the minimum focus distance....but obviously you would know that).

One shortcut I used to use was to set the camera to manual focus mode (MF) and use the AE/AF button to AF. In that mode, the lens will rack through the entire range of focus (instead of two separate ranges)

ANd make sure you have something with good contrast in your focus box, or it may be a coin toss.

It's a focus limiter essentially. It doesn't really enable any special features. It just keeps the lens from focusing all the way out to infinity. Or I could be wrong.

According to the specs found on the Fuji website a closer focusing distance is achieved with the 'macro' setting on the body enabled.

i.e.
14mm - Normal Focus = 0.6m (60cm), Macro = 28cm
18mm - Normal Focus = 0.8m (80cm), Macro = 18cm
23mm - Normal Focus = 0.6m (60cm), Macro = 28cm
35mm - Normal Focus = 0.8m (80cm), Macro = 28cm
60mm - Normal Focus = 0.6m (60cm), Macro = 26.7cm
18-55mm -Normal Focus = 0.6m (60cm), Macro = 30cm @Wide setting 40cm @ Tele setting
55-200mm - No difference @ 1.1m although the range is reduced in macro mode to 1.1m - 3m rather than 1.1m - infinity.

That said, I find there is no difference when using the 18-55! All the prime lenses I have do seem to get me closer but I have not done any specific testing.

OK, I just done a very quick and unscientific test with the 14, 35 and 60 primes first focusing in normal mode then without moving camera position, switching to macro mode and refocusing and then moving camera forwards a few mm and then refocusing - it won't!

The macro button indeed seems to have no benefit at all. I was convinced that it did make a difference, or maybe I was mistaken (I am never wrong, but sometimes mistaken!). Perhaps a firmware update affected it? Is that possible?

Gordon,
You don't say what camera you are using, and maybe they are all the same. On the X100 (and to the best of my recollection the X-Pro and X-E, but it's been awhile since I used them), the macro button merely allows closer focusing (although you still can't focus closer than the minimum focus distance....but obviously you would know that).

One shortcut I used to use was to set the camera to manual focus mode (MF) and use the AE/AF button to AF. In that mode, the lens will rack through the entire range of focus (instead of two separate ranges)

ANd make sure you have something with good contrast in your focus box, or it may be a coin toss.

Sorry. XE1. I just assume everyone is a mind reader. I played and played today and I still have no idea what it does. Possibly a firmware thing (I never used the old firmware). Wish there was a way to repurpose it.

Gordon

It's a focus limiter essentially. It doesn't really enable any special features. It just keeps the lens from focusing all the way out to infinity. Or I could be wrong.

Indeed it does prevent the 55-200 from focusing at infinity but not the 18-55 or 35mm. And minimum focus is the same regardless with all three. Weird. Just plain weird.

Gordon

The benefits relate to focusing method. There is no difference in minimum focus distance. Rico mentions in his book that the focusing method in macro-mode is optimized for subjects in close proximity. I noticed that focusing indeed becomes easier with the 60mm lens (less hunting, more accurate). So I assume the focal range will be limited when using the macro button, as OdzBodkinz says. It is good practice to leave it off by default, turn it on when you shoot in close range, and then turn it off again. Tapping the button twice + hitting OK does the job. See also Rico's book.

When you use the macro button, the OVF is switched off and the EVF or the LCD has to be used for focusing to minimise parallax issues.

For accurate close-range focusing, using MF and focus peaking function (active when you're in MF mode) is (much) better than using AF, as Gary already stipulated

Bottom line: the macro button does not mean that you can focus closer. It only makes life a tiny, little bit better.

OK, I just done a very quick and unscientific test with the 14, 35 and 60 primes first focusing in normal mode then without moving camera position, switching to macro mode and refocusing and then moving camera forwards a few mm and then refocusing - it won't!

The macro button indeed seems to have no benefit at all. I was convinced that it did make a difference, or maybe I was mistaken (I am never wrong, but sometimes mistaken!). Perhaps a firmware update affected it? Is that possible?

Back