macro experiments

Going to stick with what I have for now. I am completely ignorant of standard approaches in microscopy :)

Autofocus bracketing is something else I haven't even tried. Another day perhaps?

I've dipped in to photomacrography.net a few times, but I'll freely admit that rather a lot of content goes clean over my head. Perhaps I'm unused to the structure, but there appears to be a disconnect between gear and actual photographic technique so I find it a little difficult to follow compared to here, although there are plenty of very good gallery posts.

Happy to experiment. Doesn't matter when I mess up.

Last edited:
there appears to be a disconnect between gear and actual photographic technique
This has been true for every photography forum I've ever been on. I think it's fair to say the photomacrography.net regulars have an atypically high fraction of their attention devoted to pixel peeping even by photo forum standards, though. There also hasn't been too much of an effort to consolidate the forum's tribal knowledge into the FAQs and arrange those for teaching. But that's also entirely normal in my experience.

As someone who does lots of stacking at >1x, I'm not sure there's concepts for epi illumination beyond what it took two of our posts to cover on the first page of this thread. I think some of the disconnect you might be picking up on is there's probably more detail which, ultimately, ends up being about what not to do than detail about what to do.

What I've found most useful about photomacrography.net is there's a few folks there who've tried pretty hard to understand what's going on optically within coupled lenses. So, if you're trying to decide whether to spend on a particular objective or light or something, you've somewhere to start with for reasoning about what it might or might not offer.

Back