Pentax Macros with the Q7

pinholecam

Regular
Taking advantage of the 4.6x crop factor of the Q7.
Coupled with a Vivitar 55/2.8 macro.

10107858224_35c971d7dd_c.jpg

10108005173_9c8cf04e45_c.jpg

10107899215_bc8ab177c0_c.jpg

10107930966_be89f3e53a_c.jpg

Wow. You should send those to Ricoh. I was very tempted by the Q7. I really like the size and operation of the Q, and the Q7 seemed like a better version of the same.

These are excellent! Could you share some info on your set up? Some look like flash was used? How far did you have to stop down, to achieve this level of DOF?

Thanks guys.
Glad you like them.

These are excellent! Could you share some info on your set up? Some look like flash was used? How far did you have to stop down, to achieve this level of DOF?

Most shots are stopped down to f8. (almost always)
I try not to go 1:1 as thats usually 'in the bugs face' (too much magnification) and pulling back a bit gives more DOF.

The flash is mounted on camera with a home made diffuser.
Its basically a plastic lunchbox, but to slot in the flash and diffused with white styrofoam paper used for wrapping electronics goods.

There is an additional LED lamp mounted to the side as a 'search light' in the dark, and it helps prevent the LCD from being too grainy in the dark too.

F8? There's diffraction effects by F8 with a sensor that small, and your shots are amazingly sharp. I can only assume that you are a wizard and have used your magical powers.

F8? There's diffraction effects by F8 with a sensor that small, and your shots are amazingly sharp. I can only assume that you are a wizard and have used your magical powers.

The thing about diffraction is that its not a sharp cliff.
From my own trials, on the older Q, its there at f8, but it only gets bad at f11 and its a no-go at f16.
The Q7 does a bit better since diffraction starts later than the Q.

I use my Q with a old Pentax M50 f4 macro. I've gotten a lot of use lately over in the December Doodads thread. As long as you have enough light, the DoF of the small sensor is really amazing.

Back