Birds Magpies can be manipulative bastards.

There's a sweet little book, called the Garlic Testament, set in Northern NM, where the narrator saves an injured Magpie, which later follows him around during his farm chores. (True Story) BN No Results Page

I've actually never had any bad encounters with magpies, just a momma hawk who didn't like me hanging around taking pictures of her chicks, so started dive bombing me. After the second time, I started hiding in my car and sticking the end of my lens out the window. Viewer vantage points, but it seemed like a good compromise.

I'd love to get a good picture of a magpie though, that's the only way I'm interested in shooting them.

Great story and photos!
As to whether the Australian Magpies are corvids or not, it sounds like another case of splitters vs lumpers! It's great to know they're smart enough to set up their own entertainment!

There's a sweet little book, called the Garlic Testament, set in Northern NM, where the narrator saves an injured Magpie, which later follows him around during his farm chores. (True Story)

I was wondering what garlic had to do with a story of friendship between a magpie and a farmer which spurred me to look up the book. I like reading about stories that describe man's interactions with nature but I've found that quite often there is a tragic or sad ending. Such is the way the universe works.

I was wondering what garlic had to do with a story of friendship between a magpie and a farmer which spurred me to look up the book. I like reading about stories that describe man's interactions with nature but I've found that quite often there is a tragic or sad ending. Such is the way the universe works.

My sister-in-law turned me onto the book I'm linking to, "No More Dead Dogs." She and her daughter had noticed that in almost all dog books and movies, the dog dies at the end. This book addresses that problem. It's a Young Adult novel, but a good read, and why should kids have all the fun? Amazon.com: No More Dead Dogs (9780786816019): Korman, Gordon: Books

Back