Fuji Major firmware update for X-Pro 1 and lenses

Thanks for the heads up - just installed it and my immediate reaction is that AF is faster, whether twice or not I'm not sure, but real improvement. The 18 is fast enough for ANYTHING at this point and the 35 not too far behind...

-Ray

I'm very happy with the update.

I'd agree with Ray that the 18 is very fast. The 35 shows a very noticeable improvement.

I also notice that some other operations have speeded up. For example, when using the main display, changes to aperture used to reveal a small lag, but are now much faster.

The MF is also much more responsive, I still don't know why I would use it though...

I don't use it much, but now I am more likely too when AF conditions are tough, or for Macro work, for example. Not only is it more responsive, but the new 3x and 10x magnifications settings are easy and effective.

But yes, a lot of people won't need the MF.

Cool that Fuji always steps up with firmware updates!

I know a lot of you are mostly using the OVF, but I am curious if you are seeing an improvement on EVF refresh? It seems like AF performance and EVF refresh rate are linked...

Is it just me or did the marker (needle) for the exp comp disappear when shooting in manual mode when looking through the OVF, it used to be there all the time and now only shows when you half press the shutter.

More good news with this firmware. The "aperture dance" that used to feel like shutter lag when shooting in bright light with a small aperture seems to be gone now. Or reduced to the level of a non-issue. It wasn't technically shutter lag because shutter lag would show up uniformly regardless of conditions, but this only happend in bright light when the aperture had to open and close back down prior to shooting. I just went out today in very bright sunshine with the aperture at f11 and in manual focus (so there was no AF speed confusing the phenomenon) and I couldn't find any delays. I'd point into the sun, away from the sun, in a shadow toward bright light, etc, and I couldn't get it to delay. I took a bunch of sort of practice street shots (since there wasn't really much to shoot) and it never missed. Whereas before, you had to anticipate and half press to assure the camera would fire when you pressed the rest of the way. Now, just a quick full press seems to click immediately.

This was the only impediment to the X-Pro being a great street camera - it was a pretty good one but I missed more than a few shots because of that little unpredictable delay. If its truly gone, I'm truly thrilled!

-Ray

I used the Xpro extensively on the streets during the DNC in Charlotte, and had very few focus misses, though there were a couple that were distressing to me. Now perhaps all of that will be past history with this camera. Yes, Fuji has established a good reputation for these follow-up software corrections.

I used the Xpro extensively on the streets during the DNC in Charlotte, and had very few focus misses, though there were a couple that were distressing to me. Now perhaps all of that will be past history with this camera. Yes, Fuji has established a good reputation for these follow-up software corrections.

I never had any problem with focus misses, but I'm generally using zone focus so that's never an issue unless I totally misjudge a shot. But I'd missed more than a few because of the lag in bright light. So, if that's remedied, I'm happy...

-Ray

Is it just me or did the marker (needle) for the exp comp disappear when shooting in manual mode when looking through the OVF, it used to be there all the time and now only shows when you half press the shutter.
I just checked this on mine and it seems to to be there all the time unless I'm missing something. Mine is partially blocked by the frame line with the 18mm, but it's still visible either with manual or auto, OVF or EVF. I also tried with the 35mm but it still works just fine. Hope you get this figured out!

I just checked this on mine and it seems to to be there all the time unless I'm missing something. Mine is partially blocked by the frame line with the 18mm, but it's still visible either with manual or auto, OVF or EVF. I also tried with the 35mm but it still works just fine. Hope you get this figured out!

Hmm....I may have to reinstall the firmware update, it may have not installed properly.

Back