Fuji major xt1 dramas

Paulie

So i dug out my Xt1 and 35mm f1.4 from the camera bag after months of neglect. and lo and behold, my acc door is bowed, the leatherette is peeling... the Ael and Afl buttons have seized!! they are solid, i can NOT push them down. now the last shoot i did was near the beach, but no water got on the camera, nor did it fall in the sand. isnt this thing weather sealed? how could something get under the button to cause it to seize? i now that no weather sealing is perfect, but its not like i had dunked the thing in water, it was simply walking around by the seaside. the camera was bought used and is now long out of warranty. so does anyone have any idea?

Welcome!

That's frustrating. Hmm... Was the inside of your bag damp in any way when you put it away? Did the camera encounter any salt spray? Did you store it near a heat source? Do you know anything of it's history before your ownership?

Nope, there was no bag, i simply took the body and 35mm down to the seaside in the car, walked around, took some snaps, then went to get lunch and a coffee, camera sat on the table, and then back i went. i live about 20 minutes away from the beach. then she went into my bag at home, definitely completely dry. Funny thing is...its just those two buttons, the rest of the camera is operational.

That's really weird. I'd be inclined to suggest some Ill treatment by the previous owner, but there should have been evidence of that. A service is called for, I think.

The side doors bowed on a LOT of those, my first one included. Same with the rubber grip, it will eventually loosen up with the oils from your hands. That's probably not related to the beach, but related to how much the previous owner handled it. The stuck buttons is a new one...

The side doors bowed on a LOT of those, my first one included. Same with the rubber grip, it will eventually loosen up with the oils from your hands. That's probably not related to the beach, but related to how much the previous owner handled it. The stuck buttons is a new one...
Did Fuji fix your door and grip peeling? ive heard some countries are repairing this for free?

Last edited by a moderator:
I sent mine in for other reasons... my shutter froze after about 50k shots. So yes, they did fix the grip and the door - they also put an entirely new top plate, top knobs, motherboard, and bottom plate on too, plus repairing the shutter of course. I sent it in saying "shutter frozen, needs new grip and missing screws in bottom plate," and they did all that for about $300. It was basically a new camera.

Condensation? Changes in temperature suddenly? Just a couple of ideas based on incidents from sad experiences

Back