Feedback Making the Forums a Better Place to Spend Your Time

Status
Not open for further replies.
But there is a bit of a dilution effect, to be honest. How many actual posts on any specific camera? Not too many (save maybe the X100 or X10 or a few other local favorites).

But, what is the purpose of the site -- to attract new comers of all serious compacts, or to serve those who are here with their interests (e.g. a number of folks have film cams, so there is a new film cam forum). I'm not sure myself. Just wondering aloud, but honestly, if I was a newbie with any given, specific camera, I think there isn't a ton of help here on a specific camera. If I was someone who collects MANY cameras, then this is a good site for that. How big that latter population is, I'm not sure.

Not trying to be harsh. It's just some momentary thoughts in passing...

But there is a bit of a dilution effect, to be honest. How many actual posts on any specific camera? Not too many (save maybe the X100 or X10 or a few other local favorites).

But, what is the purpose of the site -- to attract new comers of all serious compacts, or to serve those who are here with their interests

Why not Both?

I have changed cameras 4 or five times since joining this forum. so I'm glad that we have discussion, questions, reviews, information on a wide spectrum of equipment. I also like the diverse collection of photography and styles. Not all interest me, but they are there if I want to look and learn, enjoy, or even comment occasionally. I am not a heavy contributor, but like it that I can feel free to do so from time to time. Until the latest "discussions", I have never felt the contention of some other sites, for which I thank everyone. I for one, intend to continue here as long as we can keep it to Amin's original plan and purpose.
Amin, I want to thank you publicly, for the effort, money and vision to develop and maintain this and other sites. I visit several times a day for a short time, to see what the new posts.
ps:
At the moment I have no SC camera. I still enjoy the visits. Maybe soon I be an actual member "in good standing", ie own a SC.:)

I think there isn't a ton of help here on a specific camera. If I was someone who collects MANY cameras, then this is a good site for that. How big that latter population is, I'm not sure.

Not trying to be harsh. It's just some momentary thoughts in passing...

I collect and use a lot of cameras, and lenses. If someone asks a question about a camera or lens that I have experience with, I will share that experience.

So what sets this site apart from many others? It is a friendly site where a member can pose questions and get civil answers.

I too have been tied up over the last two months and have hardly posted - so I was surprised by the recent thread about CATS or was it LOLCATS - in fact I could not really understand it at all and have no idea what LOLCATS are but I did in the early days "moan" in a "tongue in the cheek" way about too many "bloody" cat photos, (being a dog person, that is!).

Both points that Admin makes seem "normal" to me

Threads lack content - IMHO some do some don't - you can't win everytime

Clique(s) - always will happen - and IMHO is normal once you get to know forum members thru time spent on the forum - again quite normal and a fact of (forum) life

nothing wrong with either of the above - so my comments to the moaners are "stop moaning and get on with it or just don't bother and get (another) life if that is the way you feel - after all, it's only a photographic forum to be enjoyed by members - it's not life and/or death - that stuff is happening all over the world but not here"

I collect and use a lot of cameras, and lenses. If someone asks a question about a camera or lens that I have experience with, I will share that experience.

So what sets this site apart from many others? It is a friendly site where a member can pose questions and get civil answers.

When you're not being ignored, yeah.

You make it sound so intentional and malicious! I post plenty stuff that gets ignored or missed, or maybe no-one has the answer or cares. I tend to shrug and decide it's just the way a forum works and there's nothing personal, then remember that if I want replies then so do other folk, so I stick my ill informed tuppenceworth on somebody else's thread and try and keep the wheels moving a bit. Then at least they'll know I read it. The "thanks" button is handy for that too.

I have a pal who says - Do you want to be part of the problem or part of the solution?

My grandma (rest her soul) would always say "You attract more bees with honey than with vinegar".

Also (and I need to change this myself) I read on some other forum, that if you use a small icon rather than a blank space (especially a shot of a smiling face) that people are less likely to argue with each other. Not sure if it's true or not, but it seems logical.

My take on this (interesting) topic is a little different;

When I aquired my NEX in June I quickly found this site and liked it very much,...the 'locals' were obviously nice people with interests and opinions who wanted to get the best images from their compact cameras despite any shortcomings of compactness. There was an ethos of intelligent application that I could identify with,especially among the main contenders such as BBW, Heatherthevet, storyteller and BillN etc I looked at 'SC' most days and sometimes it was my few minutes of sanity!

Since then the compact camera world has changed and that has seen a different type of customer here. With the advent of very expensive 'posercams' costing twice the price of a good camera there has been an influx of stupidity and mindlessness that is better left behind, so now I may take a quick look at the site once a week....

........In short there is nothing here to learn and nothing that I can contribute!

Since then the compact camera world has changed and that has seen a different type of customer here. With the advent of very expensive 'posercams' costing twice the price of a good camera there has been an influx of stupidity and mindlessness that is better left behind, so now I may take a quick look at the site once a week....

What is a "posercam"? Example?

A few thoughts:
1. Technical details will always be a bit diluted on a site that is devoted to so many kinds of a cameras. OTOH, there are problems typical to shooting with a small sensor or PP software, which can be shared by all.
2. I appreciate the "shooting experience" threads. I can read all the tech details I want on DPReview, but I'd like some insight into what it's like to shoot with a camera. This is helpful in general and especially good as part of a purchase decision.
3. Critique of images is always tricky. The "Thanks" button is handy for saying "nice shot", but it's hardly a detailed analysis. The problem is that many of us just drop into this site and poke around for a while. It takes time to really analyze images and I already have a job :) OTOH, I don't expect others to take the time to analyze my photos either. For me, a place to post forces me to finish the image production process.
4. By it's very nature, this is a more diverse photo forum than many others with lots of beginners or born again photographers. I also expect it has a high turnover. It's a convenient source of a wide range of info, however, and very handy if used in conjunction with other sources.

My last look and post to this thread. If you don't want to be "ignored" on this or any forum, post something positive that is interesting in its self. Negative, complaining is most often ignored until it gets annoying. I think we have been made very aware of some discontent. And enough is enough.

I am temporarily closing this post because of recent jabs back and forth. I think it's a worthwhile discussion overall and will re-open it very soon.

It is apparent that the posts here have become more inflammatory, and I know some are upset by this thread. I've gotten a couple of PMs as well.

A few things I'd like to ask to keep things from escalating:
  • Please avoid using any adjectives to describe another person. Ie, don't use ad hominem arguments
  • If you've already made a point, there's no reason to repeat the same point. We can all go back and read it again. The circular nature of these kinds of threads is often what makes them inflammatory.
  • If this thread bothers you, please consider ignoring it altogether. At this point, that's what I would be doing if I were not a moderator.

I am not patronizing. The first of the three points is a site rule. The second and third points are just my 2-cent approach as a long-time forum user.

The thread will re-open in 5...4...3...2...1...

Before you read my post, please be aware, that English is not my native language, and I may have chosen wording that is easy to misinterpret.

Snake is trying to “fight a battle” where he is immensely outnumbered. It is always difficult to look into yourself and acknowledge unfortunate behaviour. Looking at a particular situation, there will always be a excuse for the way one behaves. The frequent users of this forum are of course happy with the atmosphere as it is. It is only when the forum is dying, that “something” must be done. The users which tried to join the forum, are long gone, and the few left which agree with snake, may be reluctant to post because they can see the “thought battle” snake is having.

Do I think the forum is clique? Well I have not been here long enough to judge that, but I am also reading the mu-43, and if I should chose between the two, it would not be SC who wins.
So my impression is that snakes input should be taken serious, and one should try to look beyond some of his more unlucky postings. The solution may be very difficult because ultimately it´s a change of attitude or habit.

P. Nielsen

Amin, you have created two sites that I always watch first!! Yes, I have made friends from both of these sites, friends that live in Nova Scotia, somewhere in New York, and also England, so my friend, keep up the good work and ignore ignoramuses as they tend to show up everywhere!!

1. The forums discussions lack substance. Whereas previously the discussions were useful, they have become largely frivolous.
  2. The forums have become too cliquish. A small group of people reply to each other's posts while others are largely ignored.

Let me address the last point first. I don’t post all that often on this site mainly because I don’t. Because I am an infrequent poster I suspect I am not in the clique. When I do post I get nothing but respect, some friendly jabs, and the occasional not so friendly hit. In fact I get treated just the same as the heavy hitters, those in the know, those who are regulars. Because I see no difference I see no clique. If I posted more, I would become better know and with familiarity would probably have more friends and consequently more personal chatter, but that fault is not the forums but mine. It is a very friendly group that is very open to new posters.

The first point about lack of substance is well … sort of true. Still there is enough substance to make this site a very valid defense of the seriousness of compact cameras. The point is I don’t come here for substance. I am a very serious photographer and I feel I am reasonably good and knowledgeable at my craft. While I come to this site to learn a bit about the ever changing world of subcompacts the real benefit is I get swept up in the enthusiasm that the folks have on this site. For me it is not about F/stops and ISO as I know all about that. For me it is about enthusiasm and I always benefit about a good hit of WOW.

I for one think a good job is being done here and I think it would be a mistake to try to appeal to everyone. As my grandda once said, “If everyone liked the same thing they would all want to marry your grandma.” Keep the site as is and let the others find a site that appeals to them.

Now if only I had 26 hour days I would be able to devote two hours a day to posting on this site.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back