Film Mamiya RZ67

Great shots from a dangerous beast of a camera. Even when I had my Blad I actually craved for a RZ67 but never made the switch, sigh. Did you use a different magazine for the first two shots (different aspect ratio)?

Just started using this camera. It has been a joy to look through that viewfinder and operate the camera. Here are some photos to get started.

Portra 400
16189940324_19f9c20f56_c.jpg
Spring
by yohanjkim, on Flickr

Fuji Pro 400H
16735298477_66cd3f6f48_c.jpg
heather
by yohanjkim, on Flickr

Ektar 100
16807632671_615b175ae3_c.jpg
Spring
by yohanjkim, on Flickr

Great shots from a dangerous beast of a camera. Even when I had my Blad I actually craved for a RZ67 but never made the switch, sigh. Did you use a different magazine for the first two shots (different aspect ratio)?

Hi Ken,

RZ67's film back rotates. You can rotate it 90 degrees so you don't have to hold the camera sideways or mount a different back. Quite a useful feature!

Hi Ken,

RZ67's film back rotates. You can rotate it 90 degrees so you don't have to hold the camera sideways or mount a different back. Quite a useful feature!
Pretty much a must-have on such a beast. I've played around with one many moons ago.

yohan;

Was your first (top) image taken at f2.8 ? wOw that's shallow depth of field, really nice looking......superb bokeh! Yes I've three RZ lenses for the 67, a 50mm/110mm/180mm.

I'm waiting on a processed/developed film arriving with me towards the end of this week from 'Peak Imaging - UK', looking forward to viewing my first film results (I haven't shot 120 film for over 22+ years or so).
Really love using the waist level finder with pop up magnifier, gives a lovely clear image.

Need to view more images here taken with medium formats. Loving it.

Regards;
Peter
Scotland

Shot a couple rolls through my RZ67 so far, really enjoy this camera except for the humongous size. I'm not afraid of larger cameras by any means but with the shape of the RZ67 I always say it handles like a cinder block :D

This one was from a recent studio session. RZ67 with 110mm lens @ f/11 or thereabouts, shot on Ektar 100 film.

17128624005_348d079ea9_c.jpg

Joe 2
by jloden, on Flickr

Jay;

That's a superb image, pure quality and clarity, that Z 110mm f2.8 seems a versatile piece of SHARP glass! Must get a few rolls of Ektar 100asa film soon, that film is superb looking.

Keep the images coming guys n' gals. Fantastic.

Thanks;
peter

Jay;

That's a superb image, pure quality and clarity, that Z 110mm f2.8 seems a versatile piece of SHARP glass! Must get a few rolls of Ektar 100asa film soon, that film is superb looking.

Indeed, it's a fantastic lens. I've only shot a couple rolls of Ektar but I'm a big fan of it. I only wish they made a 400/800 ISO version for the times when the available light isn't so available :D

yohan;
Was your first (top) image taken at f2.8 ? wOw that's shallow depth of field, really nice looking......superb bokeh! Yes I've three RZ lenses for the 67, a 50mm/110mm/180mm.

I should have written it down. It was a direct backlit situation with ASA 400 film. If I had to guess, I think that photo was at F4.

Question(s) to the Rx67 fans - what is the mount compatibility between RB/RZ lenses ? Are they interchangeable ? Whats good and what is bad ?

The RB series is completely mechanical, the RZ is electronically controlled components. As a result, you can use RB67 lenses on an RZ67 in compatibility mode but you cannot use RZ series lenses on an RB body. If you use RB lenses the shutter speed control is on the lens in that case rather than the body, and you set the body shutter to "RBL" mode.

Personally I bought mine for studio portraits so I only have the RZ series 110mm f/2.8 standard lens and a 180mm f/4.5 for something a bit longer.

Jay;

How do you find shooting the Z 180mm f4.5 lens on the RZ67 in the studio for portraits? I've not long bought a mint condition 180mm f4.5 lens and hardly had a chance to use it as yet.
Handy for head and shoulders shots....?......maybe the longer 210mm (APO) lens or the 250mm is better again for serious portraits I wonder? I'd love to hear what your thoughts are please?

Thanks;
pete

Jay;

How do you find shooting the Z 180mm f4.5 lens on the RZ67 in the studio for portraits? I've not long bought a mint condition 180mm f4.5 lens and hardly had a chance to use it as yet.
Handy for head and shoulders shots....?......maybe the longer 210mm (APO) lens or the 250mm is better again for serious portraits I wonder? I'd love to hear what your thoughts are please?

Don't know yet, I've only used the 110mm so far :)

The 110mm focuses closely thanks to the bellows design of the RZ67, but I know from experience on 35mm that that's a little on the short side for tight headshots so I picked up a 180mm just in case. Hopefully another time I'll get a chance to shoot a few frames with both lenses.

Just received my first shot roll of Kodak Portra 400asa taken with the newly purchased Mamiya RZ67, I sent the film to 'Peak Imaging' (Sheffield - UK) last week for developing/print and ten 5"x4" satin matt prints, the film turned out really well, exposed nicely.
I used both a Sekonic handheld meter and a dedicated Mamiya AE Prism Finder (and waist level finder also) which were both very accurate exposure wise. Over the moon, no light leaks, excellent.

I've no way (at the minute) of scanning my 6x7 negatives to show the film results here, but hoping to work something out in the near future.

I'm one happy man!

They've always looked very interesting to me, but I'm in love with my Hassy 500CM and wouldn't part with it for the world, not even to acquire an RZ67==

As an RZ67 owner I'd still love a Hasselblad V series or 200 series, no doubt.

There were several practical reasons I liked the Mamiya (much lower price, hotshoe flash sync, bellows for close focus, 6x7 ratio) - but a Hasselblad is still on my someday wishlist for sure :)

I think they're really just fundamentally different cameras despite their paper-spec similarities.

They've always looked very interesting to me, but I'm in love with my Hassy 500CM and wouldn't part with it for the world, not even to acquire an RZ67==

I would really LOVE to pick up a really clean Hasselblad 500CM at some stage, I love the early chrome versions, SO ICONIC. It's deffo on my wish list!

Regards;
Pete

Back