Fuji Manual Exposure Problem

kbures

Name
Kenneth Bures
Am I doing something wrong when I use manual exposure? I think I'm following all of the steps outlined in the X-T1 manual and in Rico's book. The problem is that the lens actually stops down when I turn the aperture ring. Is there a way to get the camera to keep the aperture open until I push the button to take the picture? That's the way my old SLR worked. This behavior is a problem because at f/22 there is so little light getting through to the viewfinder that I can't frame the picture.

I am doing some product shoots with two remote flash units triggered by the Fuji on-camera flash in the "Commander" mode. So the framing and focusing occur at the low room-level light before the flashes go off. I select, by trial and error, the proper manual exposure setting to give good flash pictures, and this generally means that the shutter speed is 1/160 sec (the maximum for flash sync) and the aperture is around f/22. But with those settings it is not possible to see in the viewfinder the object being photographed.

The lens stops down to working aperture as you half-press the shutter. Exception: adapted lenses.

As for flash photography in the studio, it may be useful to turn-off the exposure preview in manual mode in order to see what's in the picture. See tips #32, 33 & 93.

Last edited by a moderator:
Btw, shooting at f/22 is usually a pretty bad idea due to diffraction blur. Just sayin'. ;)

With a pixel pitch that is pretty much the same as in a Nikon 810 or Sony A7R, maximum resolution will only be available up to f/11.

The lens is stops down to working aperture as you half-press the shutter. Exception: adapted lenses.

As for flash photography in the studio, it may be useful to turn-off the exposure preview in manual mode in order to see what's in the picture. See tips #32, 33 & 93.
Thank for the help. The key for me was to turn off the the exposure preview. Tips 32 and 93 clearly stated that, but somehow its significance just didn't register when I first read those parts of the book.

Last edited by a moderator:
Back