Sony Manual focusing

I've decided to give the RX1 a try - however I have a question regarding manual focusing. I plan to use the camera only in MF as this is how I'm used to shooting. I also do not wish to turn on the manual assist as this only works with the image magnification setting which I do not want. My question is how easy/hard is it to "see" your subject inside the EVf and know that its focused where you want it to be focused? My only real experience is with my Leicas so I've not really used DSLRs except for playing around with them...Thanx for any feedback

www.ademetriades.com

I would say: Like and SLR without any focusing aid (split screen or microprism)

I understand your frustration with magnification only with focus peaking. I am really hoping Sony releases a firmware update to correct this and leave it as it is applied to all NEX cameras and even the RX100 (!)

I've decided to give the RX1 a try - however I have a question regarding manual focusing. I plan to use the camera only in MF as this is how I'm used to shooting. I also do not wish to turn on the manual assist as this only works with the image magnification setting which I do not want. My question is how easy/hard is it to "see" your subject inside the EVf and know that its focused where you want it to be focused? My only real experience is with my Leicas so I've not really used DSLRs except for playing around with them...Thanx for any feedback

www.ademetriades.com

I moved from an M9 to the RX1, and without the split-image rangefinder I have come to believe that it is best to use the autofocus, but in a particular way - ie focus on something at the distance you want to be in focus, hold that focus with a half-depression of the shutter, then compose and fire. I find this very successful.

I have tried manual focussing, and I guess it would be okay using a tripod, but I really can't get on with it hand-held. I use a Voigtlander optical viewfinder, so maybe my method is forced on me!

Taken using auto-focus on stonework, then re-composing this morning in sunny Cornwall. Using an optical viewfinder and auto-focus like this is a little like using an M9 because you don't know what the OOF is going to look like until you view the file on a computer.

South Wheal Frances 1280.jpg

Back