Challenge! March Symposium: The Small Sensor Look.

drd1135

Zen Snapshooter
Name
Steve
Start Date
Mar 1, 2021
End Date
Mar 31, 2021
Put all your comments, pictures (new and old), and astute observations right here starting March 1. My weapons of choice will be the X-30, the Pentax Q, the Pentax Optio I-10, and my ancient archives. I just found the old I-10. My wife loved this camera and had two of them. I think it had the same sensor as the Q, or the 1/2.3” predecessor. It used the same battery. I took this shot with it long ago.
7B0BAB39-371A-4557-B200-E18E4CF03C75.jpeg

Last edited:
This sequence of images were taken two days ago (Saturday) on the outskirts of my village. I was fascinated to see what can only be described as multi tasking down on the farm, namely an addition to a reversible plough which allows both ploughing and disc harrowing at the same time.

210227-FZ200-P1030617_DxO.jpg
Join to see EXIF info for this image (if available)

At the end of a pass the tractor reverses to turn round, The disc harrow rotates above the reversible plough so it can then harrow the furrows just ploughed as it makes the next pass across the field

210227-FZ200-P1030622_DxO.jpg

The disc harrow is swinging from left to right above the plough

210227-FZ200-P1030646_DxO.jpg

The tractor is backing up close to the hedge ready to make the next pass across the field

210227-FZ200-P1030650_DxO.jpg

210227-FZ200-P1030662_DxO.jpg

210227-FZ200-P1030667_DxO.jpg

210227-FZ200-P1030674_DxO.jpg

Tractor driven by Matt, photographs by Barrie

Barrie

Last edited:
This picture was taken with a small-sensor camera I owned for awhile and loved, and still miss - my old tiny Ricoh GRDiii. The subject was one of those candles-inside-a-glass-cylinder; when you light the wick, the artwork on the outside of glass seems to glow...

GRD_Dali_candle_monochrome.jpg

...and the mad artist's eyes seem to widen as time itself...begins to melt...along with the candle wax.

I was mistaken about my little Nikon camera; it's an L3, not an L5. I used to send it up on model airplanes to get aerial photos, but here's a lazy shot from about 3 feet behind me.

EDIT: one cool thing about this tiny camera is that it has the card slot on the side of the camera, rather than under the battery door. If a lower tier P&S from 2006 can have that feature, why isn't it standard on other cameras?

DSCN2692.JPG

Last edited:
Okay, this is a large number of photos, but these are the originals for all 15 photos that were published in the NY Conservationist magazine. They were not only published, but payed for! And all were taken with small sensor superzoom cameras.

The point is simply this: you don't need a full-frame, big time, big deal, interchangeable lens camera to take photos that an editor might find worthy. I offer that as encouragement for anyone who has a fondness for small sensor cameras.

FZ150 Peebles Island 019 (Medium).JPG

Peebles FZ200 040 2.JPG

Peebles Island 008.JPG

Peebles Marlene's Birthday 010 copy.jpg

FZ150 Peebles Island 020.JPG

Peebles FZ200 014-001.JPG

FZ200 Peebles eagles and herons 033.JPG

FZ150 Peebles Island 087.JPG

Peebles FZ200 021.JPG

FZ200 Peebles 039.JPG

Peebles FZ200 025-003.JPG

Peebles FZ200 032.JPG

Peebles at Dusk 010.JPG

Peebles at Dusk 023.JPG

Moonshot and Peebles FZ200 038_DxO.jpg

FZ200 Peebles eagles and herons 031.JPG

Additional: when I took these, I had no idea that someday that might be published. The joy was in wandering around with a small sensor camera and the spotter-in-chief (better half), shooting things that caught my eye. When she pointed out the eagle eating a fish, and I pressed shutter, I said "This is what I want to do when I grow up." She rolled her eyes and said, "IF you grow up." Sigh. She knows me too well! (and I love it.)

Cheers, Jock

Last edited:
Thanks Steve, some of us still love our small sensor cameras :)

Most of my submissions will come from the archives. I’m still not going out much.

This shot is, I believe, my best ever, and it was taken with an Olympus C760uz. Only 3.2Mp, and top ISO of 400, but it served me well for a number of years. Batteries are dead now (and I can’t find replacements), so it will be consigned to recycling at some point.

The shot is of a ship called the Pasha Bulker which got beached during savage storms in June 2007. The Captain ignored all warnings to get away from the coast and this was the result
1BE19A49-C17E-4058-9CF9-28EBA87CAACA.jpeg

I took a few others on other days, too

01BA1554-9934-4191-A0D9-AB5F0E185BFE.jpeg

8B910BE3-4CFB-47A6-AA44-2F2F6F08C304.jpeg

ABF09B61-3FBD-4335-BDFD-E74B69B10192.jpeg

I've often passed these beech trees on a secondary road that runs across country inland from Kingsbridge and thought these trees would make a good image. Today I had to drive that route to seek emergency dental treatment and stopped on the way home. The day was still rather dull but beginning to clear. Having taken the image I'm no longer convinced it makes a good image and it needed quite a bit of post processing to try and get something from it, never mind, here it is. I also tried a yellowed monochrome version, still not really happy.

210301-FZ200-P1030677_DxO-c.jpg

210301-P1030677_DxO.jpg

Barrie

I've often passed these beech trees on a secondary road that runs across country inland from Kingsbridge and thought these trees would make a good image. Today I had to drive that route to seek emergency dental treatment and stopped on the way home. The day was still rather dull but beginning to clear. Having taken the image I'm no longer convinced it makes a good image and it needed quite a bit of post processing to try and get something from it, never mind, here it is. I also tried a yellowed monochrome version, still not really happy.

View attachment 250490

View attachment 250491

Barrie
I thought there was definite potential in the image, Barrie. I took the liberty of processing it myself in DistressedFX. A few crows always fill a blank area nicely 😁
14A5C919-1E8F-4A7F-913F-FAF9D4AA6EE7.jpeg

I thought there was definite potential in the image, Barrie. I took the liberty of processing it myself in DistressedFX. A few crows always fill a blank area nicely 😁
View attachment 250492
Hi Martin, an interesting take on the image. Perhaps I'm too much of a purist to go that far with an image. It certainly looks like an old image where the negative has been badly handled :). The crows banking in the wind certainly add to it and actually match the conditions, a brisk easterly wind, otherwise I might have walked a little further from the car towards the trees, blame the after effects of a temporary filling for root canal work as well as the wind. I was sure there was an image there, more effort on my part to make something of it, so thanks for your interest and efforts.

Barrie

View attachment 250490

View attachment 250491

Barrie
My preference is for the monochrome version, Barrie - for me, it emphasizes the textures and what I guess some would call the geometrical nature of the tree. The more I look at it, the more I like it. The colour version is nice but, and I have no idea why, it didn't affect me as much as your monochrome.

Back