Challenge! March Symposium: The Small Sensor Look.

You know ... sometimes, I really enjoy shooting with "lesser" (i.e. older or lower spec'd) cameras simply because it takes the quest for perfection out of the equation entirely. And it very often leads to me being pleasantly surprised with the results instead of dismaid by some minor niggles with IQ. It may just be possible that simplicity is indeed bliss ... or at least a blessing. At times. For a change. Or even, if you're so inclined, in general.

DSCN1008.jpg
Join to see EXIF info for this image (if available)

On other "news", this camera's M mode is so clunky that I'll usually just chance it and use P ... However, the camera resorts to small apertures over shorter shutter speeds, something I generally don't like. But the lens probably isn't up to enough that I should worry about something as arcane as diffraction ...

M.

This is Anna, a friend from work who helped get me back into photography after a very long hiatus... Shot with my Olympus XZ1

AE48DB86-DBBB-4222-B2F1-D1EDAD9E6AF2.jpeg

And here’s a 100% crop on her eye. CCD 1/1.63 at work. I’ve lost the charging cable, and really need to find it again, because this is one camera I still really like!

28F383B2-7124-4804-A9E3-E73DDBA8F6CC.jpeg

I just looked up the Pentax Q7 and two things. First I have never actually seen one of those in the wild. And second they came in multicolor options. What color is yours @MiguelATF ?

Mine is the color which the gentleman who sold it to me had - which coincidentally, was also my favorite colour choice as well - black.

Pentax_Q7_front.jpg

The standard (01) 8.5mm prime lens is silver, a rather cool-looking contrast.

After investing heavily in Lo-Fi challenge that just ended, my plan was to sit out this one, and just drop in regularly to follow your progress.
But that linked article from fstoppers kinda annoyed me so I decided to defend the honor of 1 inch sensors with shots from my little Sony RX100 Mk1.
Contrary to statement that 1 inch was the compromise no one wanted, I think RX100 series was a great move by Sony that put a lot of quality in a truly pocketable package.
My served me well over the years and gave a lot of keepers, so - let's sing it a praise!

PICTOGRAMAX - 2014 - FRIBOURG - 007.jpg

PICTOGRAMAX - 2014 - FRIBOURG - 005.jpg

After investing heavily in Lo-Fi challenge that just ended, my plan was to sit out this one, and just drop in regularly to follow your progress.
But that linked article from fstoppers kinda annoyed me so I decided to defend the honor of 1 inch sensors with shots from my little Sony RX100 Mk1.
Contrary to statement that 1 inch was the compromise no one wanted, I think RX100 series was a great move by Sony that put a lot of quality in a truly pocketable package.
My served me well over the years and gave a lot of keepers, so - let's sing it a praise!

View attachment 250660
View attachment 250661
I just adore these two, Milan! They are my favourites of all of yours :)

One of several P&S cameras I used in the late 90s and all through the 2000s was a Sony DSC-P32. This image from March 5, 2004 shows Katie (L) and Smokey lounging around as usual. They were inseparable best buddies, and Katie had a hard time adjusting when Smokey suddenly passed away just a few months later. We lost Katie at the age of 20 in July 2012, and she never accepted any of our later cats, just tolerated them. Even after all these years, I miss these two terribly. I hope somewhere they are playing together in the Fields of Forever.

DSC00152.JPG

View attachment 250660
View attachment 250661
I knew that article would irritate someone. :whistle:

It’s too cold and grey to venture outside today so here’s another from the archives (2011). My much missed little friend Archie, captured on a Canon G12, which despite its pretty useless viewfinder was a great camera.
Lovely shot of Archie, and yes, that early G series and its tunnel viewfinder was both good (IQ) and horrendous (viewfinder)

Here’s one of Tommy, with the G11. At least it had a vari-angle screen.

2D32EBB0-7C48-43AF-980F-7B99894E98B3.jpeg

View attachment 250660
View attachment 250661

I totally agree with you Milan but to be fair, you just need a sheet of paper and a pencil to create an amazing image. You are not a mere mortal when it comes to creating art. These are fantastic shots.

Back