Challenge! March Symposium: The Small Sensor Look.

After investing heavily in Lo-Fi challenge that just ended, my plan was to sit out this one, and just drop in regularly to follow your progress.
But that linked article from fstoppers kinda annoyed me so I decided to defend the honor of 1 inch sensors with shots from my little Sony RX100 Mk1.
Contrary to statement that 1 inch was the compromise no one wanted, I think RX100 series was a great move by Sony that put a lot of quality in a truly pocketable package.
My served me well over the years and gave a lot of keepers, so - let's sing it a praise!

View attachment 250660
View attachment 250661
The RX100 and siblings are my most recommended cameras. Many said they were so surprised to open it up full size on a screen and see how good the image looked.

I started off with the intention of using my Canon g7x mark ii (are my numbers and letters in the right order or even the right sensor size?) but, when looking for some old photographs in my archive to share, I ended up in Death Valley in 2018 revisiting the Panasonic gx9. I travelled a lot that year and somehow managed to forget these photographs. Unfortunately they don’t qualify for this thread but I’m having one heck of a journey editing them - I took so many - to want to stop now. It’s almost like I am there, seeing it and taking the picture, for the first time again.

Seriously, if we don’t get to travel this year I’d love it if you could all take me on a road trip with your photographs and show me where you have been so it feels I am travelling with you. Even if it is just in your own town. From this year, last year, yesteryear. It doesn’t matter. Chances are I’ve never been.

A shot from nearly 8 years ago, taken on a trip to Summer Lake in Eastern Oregon - where one can stay in old-but-comfortable Airstream trailers. This was taken with my old Lumix LX7 - that I bought from Ray Sachs, many many moons ago - one of the most fun 'small sensor cameras' I have ever used - and judging from the pictures I used to take with it, probably one of the best photographic tools I have ever owned.

Airstream 1.jpg
Join to see EXIF info for this image (if available)

It's funny how, in retrospect, one can appreciate some (probably many) things more.

Last edited:
P1000108.JPG

Richard Strauss Strasse U-Bahn station in Munich taken with my LX3. I had this camera for many years and took some of my favourite pictures with it. Eventually I sold it but missed it enough that I bought a second hand LX5 to replace it which I'm still using.

Last edited:
The RX100 and siblings are my most recommended cameras. Many said they were so surprised to open it up full size on a screen and see how good the image looked.
I would be perfectly happy with the IQ of the RX100 cameras if one of them was the only camera I could own. It’s the ergonomics that Sony still haven’t got right, for me at least. I’ve owned 3 ( 2x mk 1 and 1 x mk3) and each time I found something that annoyed the heck out of me eventually.

I would be perfectly happy with the IQ of the RX100 cameras if one of them was the only camera I could own. It’s the ergonomics that Sony still haven’t got right, for me at least. I’ve owned 3 ( 2x mk 1 and 1 x mk3) and each time I found something that annoyed the heck out of me eventually.
I agree. They are designed to be pocketable and they are truly pocketable. In use however, they are the classic bar of soap design.

I'm going to do my best to use my little Q7 every day for this.
And, since I (apparently) have a weakness for rusted and charred metal dinosaurs...

Q7_Mar3_21_Studebaker#1.jpg

The hood ornament, what's left of it, is rather cool, too.

Q7_Mar3_21_Studebaker#2(hood_ornament).jpg

I can imagine these wheels, shod with real vulcanized rubber, rolling along at a good clip.

Q7_Mar3_21_Studebaker#3(wheel).jpg

An old shot from nearly 8 years ago, taken on a trip to Summer Lake in Eastern Oregon - where one can stay in old-but-comfortable Airstream trailers. This was taken with my old Lumix LX7 - that I bought from Ray Sachs, many many moons ago - one of the most fun 'small sensor cameras' I have ever used - and judging from the pictures I used to take with it, probably one of the best photographic tools I have ever owned.

View attachment 250693

It's funny how, in retrospect, one can appreciate some (probably many) things more.
Cameras like the LX7 had truly wide DoF and that was part of the look of the images. Weston and Adams would have been amazed at this camera and the images that came out in their style.

I've got the Q batteries on the charger and waiting for an opportunity to use them again, but until then here's more from the archives:

View attachment 250730
Great Blue Heron by John Flores, on Flickr

2015 with the Q7 + DA55-300 via the K-Q adapter
1/500s, ISO400, ~1410mm EQ, monopod
I swear I can hear this bird thinking "Damn, it's cold".

A shot from nearly 8 years ago, taken on a trip to Summer Lake in Eastern Oregon - where one can stay in old-but-comfortable Airstream trailers. This was taken with my old Lumix LX7 - that I bought from Ray Sachs, many many moons ago - one of the most fun 'small sensor cameras' I have ever used - and judging from the pictures I used to take with it, probably one of the best photographic tools I have ever owned.

View attachment 250693

I'm always on the lookout for an LX7 to add to my LX5.

Back