Challenge! March Symposium: The Small Sensor Look.

Addendum: but the results of excessive consumption of the aforementioned caffeinated beverages....may be......unpredictable.

Q7_Mar5_21_Calavera_Coffee(fish-eye).jpg
Join to see EXIF info for this image (if available)

I still remember the Nikon 1 V1 infuriating me on this shot.

I was crouching on the ground, wishing I had a flip/twist display because I still had my motorcycle helmet with comms system on so that I could communicate with my friend Sandy who was riding across the bridge.

So I'd give Sandy direction, ("Traffic's free here, Go!" ... "Speed up a bit to put some distance on the cars behind you." ... "move towards the centerline") while snapping a burst of photos.

But after each burst, I'd have to pause for precious seconds while the camera went into auto-review mode (no way of turning off) and I'd have to do a quick double-tap of the shutter button to get it back to picture-taking mode. And in that time, Sandy had traveled further across the bridge, or a break in the traffic was squandered because I was waiting for the camera.

10190150634_44f0d18079_b.jpg

Searching for Doughnuts in Kentucky
by John Flores, on Flickr

On the other hand, I could mount the little camera on a suction cup to the back of the bike, program it to take a photo every 5 seconds in P mode, and rely upon the camera's excellent AF to get the shot. It was probably the best camera I've ever used for this type of shot.

24036450569_00468bc5f6_b.jpg

Nikon 1 V1 in Kentucky
by John Flores, on Flickr

I still remember the Nikon 1 V1 infuriating me on this shot.

I was crouching on the ground, wishing I had a flip/twist display because I still had my motorcycle helmet with comms system on so that I could communicate with my friend Sandy who was riding across the bridge.

So I'd give Sandy direction, ("Traffic's free here, Go!" ... "Speed up a bit to put some distance on the cars behind you." ... "move towards the centerline") while snapping a burst of photos.

But after each burst, I'd have to pause for precious seconds while the camera went into auto-review mode (no way of turning off) and I'd have to do a quick double-tap of the shutter button to get it back to picture-taking mode. And in that time, Sandy had traveled further across the bridge, or a break in the traffic was squandered because I was waiting for the camera.

View attachment 250881
Searching for Doughnuts in Kentucky by John Flores, on Flickr

On the other hand, I could mount the little camera on a suction cup to the back of the bike, program it to take a photo every 5 seconds in P mode, and rely upon the camera's excellent AF to get the shot. It was probably the best camera I've ever used for this type of shot.

View attachment 250882
Nikon 1 V1 in Kentucky by John Flores, on Flickr
What setting did you use to capture the thought donuts?

How is the J5? That was the most advanced model of the series. Wasn’t the J5 the only one to finally use the Sony 20mp one inch sensor? I always felt the Nikon 1 series was hampered by using the sensor that they designed. I can’t think of the name of the company that made the sensor. My friend had the J1 and V2 and I always thought the images were noises and had a bit less DR than the Sony 20mp sensor used in the RX100 series
As I recall the J5 had a Sony sensor. I think the others were made by Aptina. I also had a V2, which I liked for its EVF. All the Nikon 1 models produced excellent results for their size. The lenses were excellent and so compact. I think sensor size is overrated. I just made an A3-size enlargement of an image from a Sony HX9V camera that came out fine. That camera has a 1/2.3 sensor. Here's the photo:

50999757393_47741fb4e0_b.jpg
bolus_trailer_2012
by D Payne, on Flickr

@Briar Hope you are still having fun with your Death Valley shots and that we get to see some of them soon. As you wished, here is a shot from a memorable travel, this one taken in Viareggio, Italy:
PICTOGRAMAX - 2018 - TOSCANE-SOLLIES - 03 - VIAREGGIO - 06.jpg

It was a great trip, combining Italy, Monaco and south of France. I have a small reportage on my site here, if you might be inclined to check it out:

As I recall the J5 had a Sony sensor. I think the others were made by Aptina. I also had a V2, which I liked for its EVF. All the Nikon 1 models produced excellent results for their size. The lenses were excellent and so compact. I think sensor size is overrated. I just made an A3-size enlargement of an image from a Sony HX9V camera that came out fine. That camera has a 1/2.3 sensor. Here's the photo:

View attachment 250893bolus_trailer_2012 by D Payne, on Flickr
This is a great shot.

@Briar Hope you are still having fun with your Death Valley shots and that we get to see some of them soon. As you wished, here is a shot from a memorable travel, this one taken in Viareggio, Italy:
View attachment 250899

It was a great trip, combining Italy, Monaco and south of France. I have a small reportage on my site here, if you might be inclined to check it out:

Quel grand voyage, Milan! Merci de l'avoir partagé ici! J'ai toujours adoré ce petit coin du monde mais je l'apprécie encore plus le revoyant à travers l'oeil de ta caméra. Mon seul problème maintenant, c'est que tes photos m'ont provoqué une envie insensée de vouloir visiter Solliès-Ville - et comment qu'on pourra faire ça dans la pandémie?

And, by the way, you captured some wonderful moments in your reportage.

I’ve just gone to your website and am blown away by your illustration and sketching... WOW! Also watched the youtube video... more WOW.

I almost forgot... my Indian lunchbox has two different deities, one on each side. The photo I posted earlier shows the side with Hanuman, the monkey-faced god who, among other things, was a courageous warrior and general. The other side features Shiva, a member of the Hindu Trinity who, if I remember my mythology correctly, was the god of mercy and compassion, though he was also known as Shiva the Destroyer.

Q7_Mar6_21_Shiva_lunchbox(XP).jpg

The one thing I know for sure is that this lunchbox... will protect whatever vittles I may carry inside it.

Back