Challenge! March Symposium: The Small Sensor Look.

LOL now you are just showing off!! In some parts of the world (New York, I’m talking about you) some people I’ve met don’t think I even speak English!

I honestly find that hard to believe, Karen. The Scottish brogue is not all that hard to comprehend. Linguistic experts recommend that, if one is having difficulty understanding, there is a simple cure (demonstrated in the attached video): merely take a deep breath and...

Actually got out of the house and drove down to the beach for a while, today.

2C8E068E-2653-46D1-9E6D-B9DB7A1C7C2B.jpeg
Join to see EXIF info for this image (if available)

I LOVE James McAvoy. That was so funny. You did understand him though?

Yes... :)thumbsup:) I surely did. (I love him too!)

But I am afraid many on this side of the pond might not get all the subtleties. For the less linguistically inclined, subtitles (of what people are actually saying) can help. (Caution: the following linguistic lesson, exerpted from a critically and internationally acclaimed Scottish film, exceeds the bounds of what might be 'proper' usage.)

Last edited:
I honestly find that hard to believe, Karen. The Scottish brogue is not all that hard to comprehend. Linguistic experts recommend that, if one is having difficulty understanding, there is a simple cure (demonstrated in the attached video): merely take a deep breath and...

When we first took my daughter to the UK, she was so pleased that everyone spoke with a British accent. I mean, she knew that was true but the reality was a real highlight of her trip. I suspect that's true of many Americans visiting the UK, even if they won't admit it.

Having not posted for some days I've posted four taken today.

210308-P1030704_DxO.jpg

210308-P1030707_DxO.jpg

Evidence of problems with slight camera shake or focusing issues, rather too frequent a problem in my experience making the camera a little disappointing to use.

210308-P1030715_DxO.jpg

With a Nikon 5T close up lens.

210308-P1030720_DxO.jpg

From my back door.

Barrie

I struggle with Northern Irish. I’d love to visit but I’m scared of not understanding what people say, which would be embarrassing.
Most of us from that part of the world realise it can be a difficult accent and tend to moderate it a bit when talking to visitors. I've spent the last 16 years travelling and have held onto my Belfast accent but I've genrally been able to make myself understood among various Brits, North Americans, Antipodeans, and Northern Europeans who speak English as a second language. Southern Europeans do seem to find it a little trickier though. Anyway, you'll be fine. You should come and visit as soon as we're all able to travel again.

I’ve never been to Northern Ireland but would hope to visit some day. Part of the fun of travelling is to learn new ways to communicate with the people you meet.
If you're Scottish you'll be fine in Northern Ireland. I can follow Rab C without subtitles!

Most of us from that part of the world realise it can be a difficult accent and tend to moderate it a bit when talking to visitors. I've spent the last 16 years travelling and have held onto my Belfast accent but I've genrally been able to make myself understood among various Brits, North Americans, Antipodeans, and Northern Europeans who speak English as a second language. Southern Europeans do seem to find it a little trickier though. Anyway, you'll be fine. You should come and visit as soon as we're all able to travel again.
Yes, I expect I’m being over cautious! I should watch a few more episodes of Derry Girls and get attuned!

Back