Challenge! March Symposium: The Small Sensor Look.

Cannon Powershot A400 (first digital camera that my wife owned) 2005 visit to Clinton Presidential Library
IMG_0172.JPG.jpeg
Join to see EXIF info for this image (if available)

This makes me feel dizzy!

Mission accomplished then! With these types of photos, I am trying to get the view to feel like they are riding with me!

Damn, John... this is such a cool shot. Jaw-droppingly so.
You definitely hit the trifect of sweet spots here.

Thanks. Thinking upon it further, I remember looking at this photo and wishing that the yellow warning sign was not down the road! You can't control everything out there, I guess.

A 2011 shot with the Pentax Q + 03 Fish Eye. This is supposed to be one of their budget "toy" lenses with fixed aperture and manual focus, and it takes a bit of extra work to set it up. Namely, I need to prefocus the lens but how do I do that before I strap it on and ride? Ultimately, I make an approximation, secure the focus ring with a wide rubber band that I got from a bunch of broccoli (no joke), and rely upon the lens and camera's generous DOF to make sure that my helmet's in decent focus while I ride.

9578219715_e69145eebc_b.jpg

Exploring the Northeast Kingdom #NEK VT
by John Flores, on Flickr

2013. Algonquin Provincial Park, Ontario, Canada. Another one with the Pentax Q + 03 Fish Eye toy lens. This is one of my favorites of this genre and era of my photography.

9219412348_5072990bf4_b.jpg

Riding through Algonquin Provincial Park

1/320s, F5.6, ISO160
That little bit of motion blur in the foreground makes the shot for me. I was caning the little Honda NC700X and trying to exaggerate the lean angles in the curves to accentuate the movement. That's the thing about motorcycle photography that's different than car photography - in car photography, you can fake speed in Photoshop. It's a lot harder to do with motorcycles because the lean angle of the bike and posture of the rider are visual cues to speed.

The whole goal of this series was to bring the viewer with me, to feel like they are riding with me. This may be my most successful attempt and ended up being the lede photo for the story:

13903562005_30271a71cc_b.jpg

Ontario_RoadRUNNER_Jun14.pdf

2013. Algonquin Provincial Park, Ontario, Canada. Another one with the Pentax Q + 03 Fish Eye toy lens. This is one of my favorites of this genre and era of my photography.

View attachment 251555
Riding through Algonquin Provincial Park by John Flores, on Flickr

1/320s, F5.6, ISO160
That little bit of motion blur in the foreground makes the shot for me. I was caning the little Honda NC700X and trying to exaggerate the lean angles in the curves to accentuate the movement. That's the thing about motorcycle photography that's different than car photography - in car photography, you can fake speed in Photoshop. It's a lot harder to do with motorcycles because the lean angle of the bike and posture of the rider are visual cues to speed.

The whole goal of this series was to bring the viewer with me, to feel like they are riding with me. This may be my most successful attempt and ended up being the lede photo for the story:

View attachment 251556
Ontario_RoadRUNNER_Jun14.pdf by John Flores, on Flickr
Knee draggers of the world unite!

Back