Challenge! March Symposium: The Small Sensor Look.

August 1, 2012. Pentax Optio A40.

IMGP1407.JPG
Join to see EXIF info for this image (if available)

Walking around my adopted small town of Talent, Oregon, one sees different signs and messages of community solidarity, following the devastating wildfire which burned swaths of houses and shops months ago. I glimpsed this tiny bumper sticker which carries a similar message---

Q7_Mar28_21_Talent_Bee_Strong.jpg

2013. Nikon 1 V1 with 1 NIKKOR VR 30-110mm f/3.8-5.6
F5.6, 110mm, ISO1600, 6s

I remember standing on the deck of the ferry and faintly seeing the birds following the ferry.
I remember thinking about how to capture it.
I remember thinking that no camera no matter the sensor size would be able to capture this scene since both the camera and subjects were moving.
I tried anyway.

9572080010_cf612b78b9_b.jpg

Seagulls hunting for fish in the spotlight of the ferry as Hatteras Village sparkles on the horizon.
by John Flores, on Flickr

Brought the Nikon 1 V1 to the 2013 Central Jersey Jazz Festival. It was nice to be able to get these shots from such a small, 2-lens setup.

9818952984_5b911bbd78_b.jpg

2013 Central New Jersey Jazz Festival. Sunday afternoon in Somerville.

9766430193_299c58daee_b.jpg

Christian McBride @ Central Jersey Jazz Festival

9766345785_84e4c3042a_b.jpg

Marcus Strickland @ Central Jersey Jazz Festival

9766137461_3610bcda4f_b.jpg

Donald Harrison @ Central Jersey Jazz Festival

Some good highlight control on this last one - still decent detail and contours in Harrison's jacket.

July 1, 2013, Pentax Q + 06 lens. I was sitting on the deck of our vacation rental cottage, eating roasted peanuts and tossing the shells in the yard, when I heard the soft scrabbling of claws. I glanced up to see a squirrel peeking up over the edge of the deck at the corner of the cottage. I watched in amusement as it cautiously crept down the deck, up on the railings, and over to a picnic table a few feet away, where it sat eying me hopefully. I tossed it a peanut, which it greedily grabbed and carried to the nearest tree branch. Little did I realize that I had just triggered The Great Squirrel Invasion of 2013. Within seconds, squirrels began converging on the cottage from all directions - down from the surrounding trees, out of the woods, and from nearby cottages. I also learned that day that squirrels growl and hiss at each other just like cats.

IMGP1347.JPG

Back