Market place - are links to eBay ok?

comment23

Regular
Name
Simon
Hi there,

I wanted to post some links to a few eBay items I’m selling. I’ve done this before on mu43.com but am no longer a subscribing member there and wanted post the links here instead.

I can see that there have been ‘link to eBay’ posts here in the past but not recently - is this still allowed? If so, is there a specific way I should ‘tag’ the post?

Thanks for your help 😊

Any member can post want to buy and for sale ads here, but auctions are not allowed.

Several years ago, before the consolidation of the forums into what they are now- there used to be a sub-forum for posting links to Ebay auctions, but it is now gone.

I'd like to ask @Kevin for a clarification regarding this.

In my view, it's obvious that according to the rules concerning the marketplace, the whole transaction (communication, documentation) should be done through this site. It's not as if we profit from that, though, so it's more about completeness and transparency than about protecting our interests. I'd actually appreciate being sure about this.

M.

Thanks. I’m not too concerned what the outcome is, it won’t stop my enjoyment of this place 😊

The absence of a ‘link to eBay’ option when creating a marketplace post, and the fact it appears to have existed previously, suggests it probably isn’t allowed.

Having (partially) migrated here from mu43.com, I’m still caught out by my own assumptions about the similarities of the sites; and this subtle difference gave me pause to ask the question.

Last edited:
Several years ago, before the consolidation of the forums into what they are now- there used to be a sub-forum for posting links to Ebay auctions, but it is now gone.
I don't recall seeing that one but maybe it's time to revisit the idea.

Would a dedicated area really be needed or an expansion of the classifieds forum? 🤔

I don't have much of an opinion as I don't use eBay for auctions, only fixed prices. With the high fees eBay charges, even if a link was posted I would think folks might ask for a discount if purchased here instead of through the link... I know I would.

Would a dedicated area really be needed or an expansion of the classifieds forum? 🤔
I remember a separate subforum under the Buy/Sell/Trade. This was long ago- I think when the Buy/Sell was much more thread-like rather than a separate module.

I also see one completed ad that was listed as "Link to Ebay" for type of ad.

We'd certainly make clarifications in the rules - it's not really covered, but auctions on site are forbidden. It's kind of a no-man's land to date ...

I personally am not sure if it may lead to liabilities - I'm not an expert on any of this, but I'm also not sure if it's wise. I hope people with more experience on the 'bay can chime in here.

M.

I don't have much of an opinion as I don't use eBay for auctions, only fixed prices. With the high fees eBay charges, even if a link was posted I would think folks might ask for a discount if purchased here instead of through the link... I know I would.
I can certainly see the logic. All my eBay items are generally listed as buy it now or best offer, I very rarely use the auction option, so for me that would be quite possible.

Back