Matt Granger 'That Nikon Guy' selling his Nikon gear

mike3996

Legend

Alongside Ming Theins announcement, this was another impactful bit of news on my feeds this week.

So Matt has decided it's a good time to change gear he uses professionally. You may know he shoots pretty much all gear for review/youtube purposes but Nikon DSLR has been his professional core.

Any guesses what he's going to switch to? :)

I'm hoping he's going for Leica SL2 or Canon R5 (although I'm not sure if it's actually legal to switch from Nikon to Canon... a lawyer could clarify this bit for us?). Good content to come from that surely. :)

A most boring target would be Nikon Z series or Sony. These are pretty likely candidates because he's looking better hybrid camera performance.

You missed the big one, Chelsea switched from Sony to Canon R5 and previously from Nikon to Sony... It's like a soap opera:)

As some say they are looking for a sponsor or website clicks... Manufacturers send them review equipment on loan anyway, so they might not need to buy anything....

Steve Huff gave up also as he slowed down and did not get new cameras to review:
Photography has become disposable. | Steve Huff Photo

With camera gear buyers shrinking (the trend is so clear), you have to think YouTube channel hits are down.

I'd like to see Gordon Lang survive. His gentle take and user reviews are something I've enjoyed. I hope Tony N gets fed up and moves on!

I think Ken Rockwell will have to shut out the lights for all of them. Didn't he start this whole thing anyway ?? XD

I'd say Matt was/is one of the more thorough, yet quite relaxed and most decidedly real world reviewers out there. He's a seasoned pro with lots of experience under his belt, and a good educator. Not someone to gush over or rant about a system just because they can - he just knows what he wants and needs, and he always makes valid points. So, I'm looking forward to watching him choose and develop a system - it'll be instructive as well as fun.

M.

Gordon's reviews are the ones to watch in addition to dpreview and Dustin Abbott... Rockwell is a blog reviewer also, but lagging on youtube...

I'd like to see Gordon Lang survive. His gentle take and user reviews are something I've enjoyed. I hope Tony N gets fed up and moves on!

I think Ken Rockwell will have to shut out the lights for all of them. Didn't he start this whole thing anyway ?? XD

I could not care any less who switches to what. It's just like Scott Kelby, when he switched to Canon from Nikon. Canon wanted to have an influencer in their pocket, so they gave him a sweet deal. probably something similar with Granger.

I got 30 seconds into the video.

I see the problem. He does not have a Df.

Maybe he's going to switch to Leica L Mount, or better yet, M-Mount.

Or maybe Apple is giving him an IPhone 14 that you just describe the photo you want, it goes over the Internet, and CGI's it without you leaving the house and having to stop texting on your phone 24/7. Including describing the youtube video about the experience that you want to upload.

I got 30 seconds into the video.

I see the problem. He does not have a Df.

Maybe he's going to switch to Leica L Mount, or better yet, M-Mount.

Or maybe Apple is giving him an IPhone 14 that you just describe the photo you want, it goes over the Internet, and CGI's it without you leaving the house and having to stop texting on your phone 24/7. Including describing the youtube video about the experience that you want to upload.

aka "deep AI"

More BS:) He cannot switch to Leica M since he already has 2M's ... @ 5:40:
"Implied Nude Portraiture Series" - what was "implied" there lol (it's his own commercial right at the beginning. I thought implied nude was, well, implied. See here for example)

Matt has a lot of gear he isn't shooting professionally. He was so excited about Df back in the day, he quite probably still has the camera.

Whatever he's choosing, he's probably covering a lot in future videos and he produces nice content to be sure. Just hope it won't be Sony lol :D

How long have you been waiting to use that line??? lol 😂 😂
You should see when I use the "BS" stamp that my Dad gave me when I was a teenager. Fully spelled out. I keep it in a drawer at work. I don't use it much, but used it to evaluate a proposal for technical work that was so bad- it got stamped. Like proposals that defy the Laws of Physics.

More BS:) He cannot switch to Leica M since he already has 2M's ... @ 5:40:
I'll have to skip ahead to 5:40!

Does he show his lenses? I probably have more. Probably past 100 in LTM and M-Mount. That is counting the ones I converted myself.

He has an M Monochrom, CCD version same as mine. And the M10 is on loan. The 50/2 APO Summicron is on his M Monochrom.
He needs a Sonnar, an M10 of his own, and some more I can suggest. He should get an M9 with new sensor to go with the M Monochrom.
Maybe he thinks he needs a 50/0.95 Noctilux. That and the M10 will run a good bit. I have a lot of Leica lenses, but all classic lenses- most bought before the M8 came out. I paid for both the M9 and M Monochrom when they were new by selling RF lenses bought when they were cheap. $70 Summicron, $25 Sonnars 5cm F2, $50 J-3's.

Last edited:
Back