May Prompts Challenge begins

Luke

Legend
Name
Luke
Well everyone, May is beginning in some parts of the globe already and will be coming to all of us before too long. Of course, just as I finished making a checklist, Trisberg added a prompt (everybody add "signs" to your list of 36 if you want the extra credit). So unfortunately, it's not on the list, but I expect we should all be able to add it in. So the number has swelled a bit to 37.
View attachment 53182
prompts checklist by Lukinosity (not around much..... too much work), on Flickr

It's not strictly a photo-a-day challenge (although many will treat it that way). And you are not limited to what gear you use. I wanted this challenge to be easier and less stressful than the Single in January challenge. So just shoot what you like, when you like.....and use these prompts as inspiration or leaping off points. None of them have to be taken literally.....get creative. No rules.... have fun.

I've added the checklist to the gallery so you can view it. I also have it saved as a Word document. I can easily send you a copy if you like checklists. Shoot me an email at mikeslps AT hotmail.com if you'd like a copy.

Feel free to use this thread to discuss how your day of shooting is going, what prompts are challenging you or a great story of the shot that got away. One of my favorite parts of the Single in January was the cameraraderie I felt.

Here's the gallery that has been set-up for sharing images...... May Photo Prompts Challenge - SeriousCompacts.com Gallery Remember they display best for all if they are 1024 on the longest side. Give a holler if you have any questions.

Finally, it's May in my corner of the world...just finished a little breakfast and time to walk the dogs. Those Aussies are a little lazy it seems :tongue:.....not a single shot in the gallery yet.

Bill, I dig your PPing on your first shot. I wanted to leave a comment on the photo in the gallery, but there was no comments box. I'm going to search for birds today, too...... I may tick off the box for song....

Just back from today's walk. I might have cought "Entropy", will see after PP. I surely got several "Out of focus" contestants:tongue:

What is your strategy? Posting one as soon as you have it, check it off and move on?

That was my initial plan, but after today's outing, I don't have one single image I'm considering "worthy". Maybe I'll stock several days lot and start posting when a first "solid" shot emerges...
I mean, I don't want just to check all the boxes - preferably I want to end up with a set of images meaningful and dear to me. Maybe I'm asking too much?

pictogramx......there's no one "right" way. My plan (totally not thought out at all) is to go out walking with a couple of the "easier" ones in mind and try to get a few shots for each, and one challenging one to be my main focus. And hopefully, I'll bag the tough one, but if not, I'll get some contenders for the other ones. There's certainly no rush to post if you're not happy with any. Having said that, I certainly don;t expect to get 37 masterpieces. I'm hoping for 2 really great ones, 10 pretty good ones, 10 that aren't quite right, but show promise and around 15 that could have been shot by a monkey with a camera.

The most important part is to get out and get shooting. I find that while I'm on the forum or reading reviews or the classifieds, I get zero great shots ;)

What is your strategy? Posting one as soon as you have it, check it off and move on?

There is no real contest here, just a friendly exercise with fellow members that will help to train our eyes and get us out shooting. Still, I don't want to put boring snapshots up either. My technique if you want to call it that is that we have a month to do this. I am going to check off the list as I find suitable photos to represent each prompt, however, I am not going to post them until I'm near to end of month just in case I come up with something I feel is better executed, processed, etc. If I nail one then I will post it immediately. This is by the way more exercise for the photographer as 37 topics is already a lot [not to mention processing], however, if I am going to make an effort then I might as well make an effort. I have done these kinds of challenges so often [just not in such a compressed time] that I could probably crack the list in few days or so otherwise. So I am aiming, personally, for doing my best, not just completing it. --and hoping there aren't too many monkey shots when I am done.

Also adding that I don't live in a very scenic area so there won't be beautiful sunsets over mountains or glorious sunrises over grassy fields. But the list allows for interpretation and is quite broad so that should make a difference. You have to figure that many of these like "in the kitchen", "food and drink", simpler things like "black" or "10pm", "patterns" can really be done in the home if desired. That is good for the rainy days. Get outside and get those others, the more obscure ones, whenever opportunity presents.

Look - you going to post 36 shots - if you "pontificate" over everyone you shoot trying to be achieve perfection, you'll never post anything

IMHO - Just shoot a few that day, choose one, post it and move on

Hm, maybe my choice of word "strategy" gave the impression I'm taking all this as a battle:confused: That was not what I meant, like what strategy one could use to win:rolleyes: Me also, I see this as challenging myself and not other contestants.

What I was curious about was if the eventual first outing eventually influenced you. For example, I really liked the idea of shooting all this on a roll of film and even dusted out my Yashica.
But even though a workflow where I'm capturing prompt by prompt not even knowing what I already got seemed very tempting to me, I decided to back off.
After a moment of being sincere with myself, I had to admit that I have no idea how much time it would take me to scan and process all the shots.
I can squeeze an image here and there between all the things I have to do daily, but doing them all at once is not realistic and could drag to July or August. Which kind of defeats the purpose:tongue:

I'm not trying to impose any 'right" way on anybody, I was just thinking out loud. But OK, decided to stop thinking and just roll along - so I posted my first:)

Whose incomprehensible impossible idea was this anyway ? ... I've got a sheet of paper with 37 concepts written on it, of which I can't make head nor tail ... and I can't find a monkey with a camera anywhere ... bloody hell ...

Whose incomprehensible impossible idea was this anyway ? ... I've got a sheet of paper with 37 concepts written on it, of which I can't make head nor tail ... and I can't find a monkey with a camera anywhere ... bloody hell ...

I hope that this is not going to turn out to be a "grumpy old men" Challenge!

Back