May Prompts Challenge begins

For example, I really liked the idea of shooting all this on a roll of film and even dusted out my Yashica.
But even though a workflow where I'm capturing prompt by prompt not even knowing what I already got seemed very tempting to me, I decided to back off.
After a moment of being sincere with myself, I had to admit that I have no idea how much time it would take me to scan and process all the shots.

I debated using film too. In which case I would use something that a lab could develop and give to me the next day on a CD.. so I can, possibly edit and post the results. Also.. I would shoot with both film and digital at the same time and early on in the month. If the film does something magical as it can do.. I would keep that over the digital image. But I would have backup so I wasn't without an image. And really if you can't get them all done but are getting out more that is the point, and I don't see why you couldn't prolong it, for your own personal reasons, for another month. Like Luke said in another thread it should be fun. If it ceases to be then don't do it. :) Good for you for posting a shot. I haven't taken my camera out yet, too busy.

This is bloody hard work, and it's only Day One ... SiJ was much easier ... the temptation is to go out and shoot a load of snaps and then try to fit an image to one of the prompts ... rather defeating the object of the exercise ... hmm maybe it'll get easier? anyway, think I managed something already today without "cheating" ... I'm also mixing up fillum and digi which makes life more interesting still ...

the temptation is to go out and shoot a load of snaps and then try to fit an image to one of the prompts ... rather defeating the object of the exercise ... hmm maybe it'll get easier?

the idea is to use the prompt to inspire a photo or 2 rather than praying and spraying and then trying to shoehorn them, but getting out and shooting is the most important part. Just don't tell us and we'll never know.

I went in search of entropy today but didn't find any great versions.....I finished off movement and added it to the gallery. I have a few other ones, but I'll save 'em and see if I can better them in the coming days.

That's one aspect of this I like a little better than the SiJ is that I can stockpile shots. I generally have 3 days a week where I can devote an hour or more to shooting and really bang stuff out. But if I have to shoot every day, it's not always working for me. Still......37 seems like a tall order and there's a few of them that will be real work.

Oh well, a challenge is good. If it doesn't kill you, it will only make you stronger.

Hi Sue. You shoot for one prompt....at a time. When you have that one, you move on to another one. At the end of the month, the goal is to have notched off each of the 37 prompts. You can do it in 37 shots or try 900 shutter actuations to get them.

It started out as an idea to shoot one every day, but someone suggested 36, like a roll of film, and then one person joined late and it turned into 37. It might seem overwhelming, but it's barely more than one per day. If it's still not clear, just let me know. And if it sound like nothing you are interested in, feel free to withdraw.....but we'd love to have you in the group.

It's just an exercise to get people out shooting and maybe have you shooting in different ways or different subjects. Pushing oneself is always good.

I'm trying to stay a little bit ahead of schedule so there's no pressure. I've got 5 done and 32 to go. I hope those who aren't posting are just too busy shooting to get any posted. Or perhaps we have more film shooters than I thought we would....

So I think that my mindset is right, trying to do my best and not just check them off and yet.. when does being too picky apply? :D Black, which I posted, wasn't easy actually. To keep it all black without other colors, to still show detail and yet retain black.. stumbled on that one. Have a couple others I am deliberating over and I really need to shoot more. Oh look here comes the sun!

Heather's going the college "all-nighter before the exam" route. For some it works, for me it resulted in the university asking me to leave.

Kristen, I hear you. I want to try to make them all as great as possible. I have a few in reserve that I think I can get better. So for me, it's a balance. If I leave too many hanging in the balance, I feel like I might have trouble focusing on doing the ones I haven't done at all.

It's really whatever works for you. I'm enjoying have some direction instead of just wandering around and waiting for images to grab me.

Back