May Prompts Challenge begins

I felt the same, Landshark / Bob. The last one was easier to start, since I could not postpone, or think about gear. But a few days ago I forced myself to just start and inspiration is starting to come. I do hope that those KEF speakers I have to look at on my wrk desk all day will not remain the subject for 50% of my shots though....

I was the one that first suggested some sort of month challenge. Luke picked it up and others chimed in and it was launched. Now I have to agree. It is not as much fun as the last. But it has caused me to look harder at how I "see", as well as how I expect others will "see", what I post. During the SIJ I was confined to Quarters, for most of the month and it really was a "challenge". This time, it is early Summer here and there are lots of outdoor opportunities, but to fill the prompts is the challenge. I have posted 11, and have a couple more that are a maybe. But now I have to venture farther afield.
But challenge was what we asked for, and challenge means Difficult/Not Easy.
"When the going gets tough, the tough get going!"

I think shooting every day with the same camera and lens is a lot easier than having to find prompts. I started with one camera and one lens. I could do nothing else. I prefer the prompts. The prompts make you have to think a little. And think a bit more if someone else beat you to something! I've also attempted a couple techniques I have never done before. One with success, one with failure though I will try again another time even if not for this assignment.

What I am also finding is that what I shoot often fits into two or more categories. Like my 'negative space', could have been 'simplicity' or darkened a bit, 'chiaroscuro'. My 'wood' image could have been "a high point'. Some of the subjects are so simple like 'whatever' or 'macro'.. you can shoot anything. It's just getting out there and doing it, or staying in. 'In the kitchen', 'food', it should be easy. It's the 9th, I started on the 2nd and I have 11 so far.

The biggest stumbling block I'm having is moving along as fast as I want to. This isn't one photo a day, it's more. That panicked feeling is the hardest part. Out for hours, come home, memory card full of garbage because I don't have the skill [I will ironically have more of after this is over] and I feel like quitting. But I can't! So I will shoot AFTER I finish cleaning the refrigerator because life is still going on around this LOL

I like having to think about the themes (similar to the weekly challenge). The scavenger hunt aspect of this one is what makes it fun, and the format is a little easier for me than a photo-a-day challenge.

Scavenger hunt does seem like a good way to look at it, and I do think that aspect makes it interesting. I think I am going to try to think more about each shot... I may not get them all, but I want each of them to at least work in my mind for the prompt.

Of mine, half were planned as in deliberate outings to get what I did, the other half were discovered while I was out. Either way they were all thought about.

Maybe my issue is that the prompts just remind me of being in school, never my favorite time and also there is a bit of work feel to it as well for me, so I am dropping out for sure.
Keep up the good work, good luck with your challenge and I will keep an eye on your incredible images.

That's too bad, Bob, I really liked your images for Single in January, and I was curious about what you'd do with some of the prompts. But it should feel like fun, not like school or work, so if it feels like that, I totally understand your decision.

Sorry to hear that Bob, I really wanted to see what you would come up with. I understand though. You do this for work, play time shouldn't feel like a burden.

I was a bit behind schedule, but had a very productive day. It's a good thing Saar is a patient dog, she had to wait quite a bit today on my walks with her. She did find it funny that I was laying on the field, trying out different worm's-eye views...

It must have been curios behaviour of yours for Saar, Marlof:D I've seen in the gallery that you checked off several prompts.

On the contrary, I came to a complete halt, due to workload and family obligations. Hope to get out for another round tomorrow.

I just wanted to drop a note - I just got onto SeriousCompacts this week and found this challenge - a great idea!

I started this week and I doubt if I'll finish all prompts, but let's see. To push myself a bit more, and to link the photos of the challenge together, I came up with a ... thing ... to include in all my shots. I'll post them later as a bunch. Seven done for now, and a at least a few good ideas in my head, waiting for some preparations.

Having this same "thing" in all my photos might mean that this is actually pushing my imagination more than my photography skills, but what the heck, I like it anyway. I'm with Steve on his opinion - challenge ain't called challenge for nothing. :)

Happy shooting!

Back