Feedback Me love you longtime, do you wanna be my friend ?

Wolf

Veteran
besides the topic about sharing flickr accounts, wouldn't it be nice if we shared facebook accounts too ?
I use it a lot to share my photos too (mainly for that actually)

anyway, if you wanna add me, my FB page is
Wolf De Echte | Facebook

Facebook - that's a funny state of affairs - you give loads of personal data, opinions, lifestyle facts, images and stuff that you say "in the spur of the moment" to US company for free believing that it will be held confidentially and secure ......... biggest con so far this century

Just wait, a few years down the line when some of this info comes back to haunt you either in your personal, professional or private life.

IMHO, of course

Hence why I only use it to share photos and even more important I don't use my real name , Bill :)
(yes yes i know facebook should be about people using their real name, but I agree with what Bill sais)

Hence why I only use it to share photos and even more important I don't use my real name , Bill :)
(yes yes i know facebook should be about people using their real name, but I agree with what Bill sais)

I've tried to persuade my daughter to be carefully using FB, especially after seeing images etc., of what is posted after parties and celebrations, (you know what i mean).

Also info posted about current girlfriends/boyfriends, past girlfriends/boyfriends, when they are past, and what they think when they move on to the next etc., etc ......... not sure what it achieves when revolations of personal lives are thrown into the "public" domain

I am an OAP, (retraite), so I'm just not "with" all this stuff

Facebook - that's a funny state of affairs - you give loads of personal data, opinions, lifestyle facts, images and stuff that you say "in the spur of the moment" to US company for free believing that it will be held confidentially and secure ......... biggest con so far this century

Just wait, a few years down the line when some of this info comes back to haunt you either in your personal, professional or private life.

IMHO, of course

I don't like it's privacy policies either thus will not use it. A social media site used to farm information from people-- and I really don't care when a friend or even a family member made potroast or mowed their lawn let alone do I want to help them with their Farm [a game]. I think there are far better sites to showcase your images [500px, Fotoblur, Aminus3, even Tumblr or Wordpress] or even host your own site. This isn't to criticize others here that use the service. I am a member to a lot of groups-- but not that one. It's like Big Brother to me. None of my kids want any part of it either, their decisions, not me imposing mine on them.

FB has more power with YOUR data then you do.
I have an account at 500px. I paid for that Awesome crap.
Every week I have to go to my settings and turn off the link to FB.
I check it and it's off then I get a call from my friend telling me that he sees me on FB and my current images posted. This is as of yesterday. 500 gets shut down soon.

I haven't used FB in over 2 years.

Once again I agree with the above replies, I mean what's the use of posting that you're currently "eating a pizza" .. (for example) and all those pointless things...

that being said, it is a very powerful medium to share things (and advertising) and know about upcoming events etcetera
So for those things it's good

Wolf

don't worry, it is not a criticism of you ........ these are just personal views ....... and it's good to debate a subject

Unfortunately there is no DELETE button on the internet, (even though it appears that there is), ....... once something it there it can hang around forever.

If you search subjects on SC I'm amazing home quickly they appears in the top 10 on the google search list

I still use facebook, but I have pruned my "friend" list to the half dozen or so who play Fish Wrangler with me. I periodically "Like" pages (eg seriouscompacts, pentaxforums, camera house, pentax snaps australia etc) but rarely post photographs ever since the first fiasco when it seemed that the security and privacy policies allowed companies to use your stuff for their own ends. Thery changed the wording so it appears you retain ownership but ever since then I have not trusted Zuckerberg or facebook to respect my ownership of my stuff (any stuff... not just photographs). I NEVER post a full res photograph publicly anywhere but particularly not on facebook.

I also discovered an app (Exfoliate) on Android that can go through your facebook account and delete all your comments on your stuff and other people's stuff, all your posts etc. Its only marginally effective, but it makes a very large task quite manageable when you go back into facebook to do manual deleting. This is why I will always have at least one Android device, even though I am an iPhone fan.

Back to the facebook thing... I dont think its any worse or any better than Google+, myspace, etc. Its all about getting information and selling it, one way or another. Google is much more insidious, and I still use it. I've kind of given up giving up on social networks, because if you are out there on the internet, you're visible. If you do a search on your real name or your nickname, you may be surprised at where you pop up.

FB has more power with YOUR data then you do.
I have an account at 500px. I paid for that Awesome crap.
Every week I have to go to my settings and turn off the link to FB.
I check it and it's off then I get a call from my friend telling me that he sees me on FB and my current images posted. This is as of yesterday. 500 gets shut down soon.

I haven't used FB in over 2 years.

I signed into 500px [I'm Awesome too] and it had a "you haven't signed into Facebook" nag banner on every page so I contacted them and they did say it was an error and were going to fix it. They did. As far as I understood though, they have for a long time shared with FB which is why my Awesome account is also currently empty. The sign in through FB is newer. I was awaiting the option button to chose for or against sharing in other places. I suggested that too but never got a response. It should be an option, not automatic.

Facebook isn't terribly evil when one knows what it's about. It's great to keep in touch with people and for people to know I'm still alive, even though I'm on another continent and often busy (as are they).

Small friends list of people I personally know, accepting only people I know, no personal info, phone, nothing. I do post my pics there, though. I know they're getting data other ways, but it's largely benign.

I am one of the only non-FB users among my circles of friends, for the privacy/business concerns listed above. However, I do find that FB has become such a default way of communicating certain social information that I am "out-of-the-loop" often...it's a mixed bag!

Back