Sony Meanwhile Sony announces... big honkin' lenses!

wt21

Hall of Famer
What is their target market? Tiny bodies and giant lenses??

Real world images of the new FE lenses! - sonyalpharumors
16-35 f/4

sony_16_35mm_hands_on-550x364.jpg

90mm macro
sony_90mm_hands_on-550x364.jpg

35mm 1.4
sony_35mm_hands_on-550x364.jpg

24-240
sony_24_240mm_hands_on-550x364.jpg

sony_24_240mm_hands_on_photos

All image links found from the SAR link to the Photography Blog site http://www.photographyblog.com/news/sony_16_35mm_f4_hands_on_photos/

Companies are beginning to realize that ultra-small isn't necessarily the main goal.
Look at Samsung's new APS-C system for example.....

What is their target market? Tiny bodies and giant lenses??

Lol me?

To my eye the 16-35mm actually looks quite compact for a full-frame, fixed-aperture, ultra-wide zoom with sealing and OSS.

The 35/f1.4 though (the other lens I'm interested in...) - oh my. But then I suppose none of the current crop of AF 35/f1.4's are exactly petit. Hopefully it's huge because it's amazing.

Yeah, that ultra-wide is surprisingly small for a full frame f4 zoom, if not small per se, perhaps suprisingly less 'significantly larger' than the Panasonic 7-14/f4 micro four thirds lens.

The 35mm however is quite chunky...perhaps gunning for the Sigma 35/1.4 ART which has set a new benchmark for fast FF 35s'.

They are big...It is the latest trend started with Otus/Sigma to get bigger for high IQ, now on mirrorless w/ Samsung lenses, Oly 40-150 (same size as 43 50-200mm), Fuji f2.8 zooms, etc...

I am more interested in this one, 28mm f2:
Bildschirmfoto2014-09-15um162846_zpsdb5ee274.png

And tomorrow we will see the new ZM Zeiss 35mm 1.4 (if it will be similar size), at B&H $2290:
http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/1081651-REG/zeiss_2109_165_35mm_f_1_4_silver_lens.html

FYI, I am using latest sony fe contax g af adapter and the af speed is similar to RX1, so you can have a small af lenses also, contax g 45mm f2 and 90mm f2.8 lenses work with A7r. I have to check g 35mm f2...

What is interesting about Sony's announcements is that while they talk about E-mount they mean FE-mount. It's been over a year since the last E-mount lens was announced with no indication from Sony of plans for anymore. Which leaves those of us with no interest in 'FF' stuck - either make do with the relatively limited selection of E-mount lenses or buy bigger, heavier and generally more expensive FE mount lenses. (Though to be fair to Sony both Canon and Nikon are also guilty of failing to develop a decent range of crop sensor lenses.)

I think the reality of full frame is that no matter how small you can make a mirrorless body, you really can't make the lenses much smaller, if any. Which is one of the reasons I didn't wait around for Sony to come out with the lenses I wanted and went with Nikon. The Df is larger, but not by that much, but once you add lenses, the difference isn't that great That 16-35 f4 does seem notably smaller than the Nikon lens of the same spec, but otherwise, they seem plenty big to me. I'm glad to see them evidently really supporting this sytem though. In another year or two, assuming they come out with some of the wider primes that interest me (24, 21, and the 28 they're showing), I might give this system another look. And then assess if there's really much size benefit overall.

-Ray

I think the reality of full frame is that no matter how small you can make a mirrorless body, you really can't make the lenses much smaller, if any. Which is one of the reasons I didn't wait around for Sony to come out with the lenses I wanted and went with Nikon. The Df is larger, but not by that much, but once you add lenses, the difference isn't that great That 16-35 f4 does seem notably smaller than the Nikon lens of the same spec, but otherwise, they seem plenty big to me. I'm glad to see them evidently really supporting this sytem though. In another year or two, assuming they come out with some of the wider primes that interest me (24, 21, and the 28 they're showing), I might give this system another look. And then assess if there's really much size benefit overall.

-Ray

I think that the other part of the reality of full frame mirrorless is that the rear element has to be pushed away from the sensor so that light hits the sensor as close to normal (perpendicular) as possible. My Pentax M 50mm F1.7 is tiny because besides being manual focus, the Pentax mirror box pushes the lens away from the sensor.

Leica's managed with micro mirrors and what not. I'm surprised that Sony has not done the same. Perhaps it's a cost issue.

I think that the other part of the reality of full frame mirrorless is that the rear element has to be pushed away from the sensor so that light hits the sensor as close to normal (perpendicular) as possible. My Pentax M 50mm F1.7 is tiny because besides being manual focus, the Pentax mirror box pushes the lens away from the sensor.

Leica's managed with micro mirrors and what not. I'm surprised that Sony has not done the same. Perhaps it's a cost issue.
Isn't the same thing true of non-full frame? I'm sure the impact is less because of the smaller image circle, bu it's still a limiting factor. Sony nailed the micro-lenses/mirrors or whatever in the RX1, but I guess it's a taller order with ILCs. One with cost implications that Leica has, uhhh, transcended... Maybe someday sensors will be able to deal with light coming in at angles farther from perpendicular - that could be a big deal. But probably for a newer system - can't imagine a system with a lot of established glass going back and retro-fitting the whole damn thing...

-Ray

I am glad to see Sony designing full frame lenses. But I am with Ray on the Df. The fact that Nikon hasn't changed their lens mount in 50+ years means there is a ton of Nikon glass out there to fit on the Df. If you prefer AF and the newest pro level glass, those are out there too.
I'll be staying with Nikon for the foreseeable future. But, it is really great for the photographer to see new systems being developed!

Back of RX1 lens is huge compared to nex/FE mount. One way to solve it is making lenses wide enough at the end so light hits more perpendicular, which is easier with a fixed camera... Also thinner IR glass helps, but IR problems w/ M8 and sensor cracking like w/ M9 comes with it...

Isn't the same thing true of non-full frame? I'm sure the impact is less because of the smaller image circle, bu it's still a limiting factor. Sony nailed the micro-lenses/mirrors or whatever in the RX1, but I guess it's a taller order with ILCs. One with cost implications that Leica has, uhhh, transcended... Maybe someday sensors will be able to deal with light coming in at angles farther from perpendicular - that could be a big deal. But probably for a newer system - can't imagine a system with a lot of established glass going back and retro-fitting the whole damn thing...

-Ray

-Ray

Yup, same problem. That's why the 24mm F1.8 for the NEX7 was so long I think. But I'd imagine that it's less pronounced on APS-C since the edges of the sensor are farther from the edge of the mount.

16-35mm is bigger then 24-70mm, but then it is not that big compared to Panny 7-14mm considering it is covering 4 times the area:
Compact Camera Meter

Sony is working on the curved sensor and I think Fuji/Pana are on the organic sensors... No camera yet.

Back