Meet the Fuji X-E1

You would think I would know.... Actually I'm surprised Fuji hasn't just opened up a shop down the street from my house. Maybe I have some sort of self imposed subconscious wallet self preservation mental block going on. Or at least that's what I am hoping.

Oh, I am sure you are a pin on their distribution map, lol.

I would be interested in this camera if it delivers the same image quality as the X-Pro1. That said, I would only consider buying it if it was MUCH cheaper than the X-Pro1 and has faster, more reliable auto focus. I currently maintain three camera "systems" (micro 4/3 cameras, traditional four thirds DSLRs, and Nikon DSLRs) I can't imagine buying another camera/lens system and the related accessories at this point unless I drop one of my current kits or the X-E1 is amazingly inexpensive (like the body is $599 and a decent prime lens is only $299).

more photos
New Fuji X-E1 pictures! | Mirrorless Rumors

also a comparison images of the XP1 and XE1:
View attachment 58142
dyD2f.jpg

it's considerably less wide and a good bit lower, but now much shallower than the XP1.

Size seems about right to me, not too big but definitely not too small, it all has to balance with the lenses of course... Looking forward to seeing more of this camera. Anybody knows when we can expect the official announcement?

Oh great ..... another camera with 'X' in the name. Working for a camera shop you get really confused with so many 'X' cameras!!!! The customers are even worse LOL.

It does look a great looking camera!! I'm sure it will be a great performer too. I heard £1000 ($1000US) for this little beastie.

Looks like a cross between the XP1 and X100.

But without the OVF that makes both of those special. At least to me. And a lot of other folks it seems. But this could open up a sizable additional market to Fuji to get a body in the hands of folks who couldn't quite afford or rationalize the X-Pro and then get 'em to buy lenses. Assuming the price is pretty low...

-Ray

Okay... Rumors are this new X-E1 body will run under $1000. For me the question is: X-E1 with single lens (and maybe more down the line) or an X100 on sale or close-out this Christmas? Of course, we really don't know enough about the new camera yet to make any final conclusions. But in terms of concept, which is more appealing to most of us?

I'm with Ray on this one ...... that the optical viewfinder is a joy to use and is a big part of what makes the Fuji's special.

Let's assume that under $1,000 means $999. Add a $600 lens and it's $1,600 for the E-X1 with a single lens. Even at full price for the X100 of $1,200, I'd choose the X100. If it gets knocked down a couple hundred bucks around the holidays, it's a no brianer. The X100 becomes nearly untouchable (in my mind).

The X100 IQ is great. Not "great for a smallish camera".....just great without any qualifiers. The E-X1 if similar in output to the X-Pro1 will be a step ahead. Pixel peepers and sharpness freaks may prefer the E-X1, but to me, they are close to interchangeable for me to not care.

That's just my 2 cents. YMMV. Either choice would be a good one. I think it should boil down to whether you prefer a single fixed focal length or an interchageble lens body. Does an optical viewfinder matter to you? I would say to try one one out if you can....find one at a store and play with it for a half an hour.

Back