Leica Meyer Optik Trioplan 35+ Kickstarter

I pulled the barrel out of the Argus- it is very thick metal.

Not as thick as the CZJ 5cm F3,5 in Exakta mount: those fit into a focus mount for a 5cm F1.5 Sonnar.

SO... I have a new fixation- Minolta LTM mount lenses, made in the 1950s. Started out with the 5cm F2 which uses the same 7 element in 4 group configuration as the Summitar. Then added the 45/2.8 which is a 5 element in three group "3-1-1" configuration. The 85/2.8 is the same configuration- very compact, not a telephoto design, but a good longer focal length anastigmat. I have the 50/2.8 coming in, also a "3-1-1".

The 45/2.8, 50/2.8, and 85/2.8 are as far as I know, reading Neblette and Kingslake- the only "3-1-1" configurations made. I took a 45/2.8 apart: the front two groups are stamped in a single metal fixture, the rear element is a positive element that forms an image on its own. The front two groups combined have a negative focal length, like a Cooke Triplet and a Tessar.

SO, the point of all this, the Minolta Super-Rokkor F2.8 lenses started with a Cooke Triplet (1-1-1, "positive/Negative/Positive focal lengths) and split the front element into a cemented Triplet, providing a much faster F2.8 than is commonly seen. Most F2.8 Tessars of that day are quite soft when used wide-open, to the point that the F3.5 Zeiss Tessar has a much better reputation than the faster F2.8. The front element of the F2.8 Tessar is a thick piece of glass, "strong power" optic. I believe the optical engineers for Minolta decided to split the strong front element into the triplet, using elements of lesser power, making aberrations easier to correct. Manufacturing a triplet is expensive, doing so for "just" an F2.8 lens- maybe that's why this formula was not used by others.

The Super-Rokkors are quite good when used wide-open, edge to edge. The Super-Rokkors are not as plentiful in the US, and often the asking price on Ebay is too high. But with some patience, can be found at reasonable prices. I'll go put on a limb- In my opinion, they are the best F2.8 Triplets out there- better than the vintage 1-1-2 (4 elements in 3 groups, the rear element of the Cooke triplet made into a doublet) Tessars and Xenars.

Last edited by a moderator:
An excellent project. Take a peek at the lenses being created:

Create wide-angle Bubble Bokeh: Trioplan 35+ Fine Art Lens

Classic lens equations, modern coatings. Distinctive Trioplan image characteristics. Looks to be superb build quality. Leica M or L mount (Leica T, SL) available - not RF coupled though, so live-view only.

Best support deals are gone, but great ones still exist...

I'm in!

Hi there!

I have only had my Leica M6 a couple weeks and was going to get this Trioplan 35+ Lens but I don't really understand the how for the Leica M mount "rangefinder not supported/focusing via live view". Does that mean that the framelines (bright lines) in the viewfinder aren't there? How do you focus?

I'm really sorry if this is basic/novice info but I just want to be sure what I'm getting into. Thanks for any help you can provide!

No problem, and welcome.

The lens isn't rangefinder coupled. So, it needs to be focused using the image in live view - magnification and/or focus peaking.

So, it's M240, M10, SL, TL cameras only. No M9 or M8: you won't know where the focus is until you get the memory card to a computer to look at it.

I pre-ordered a couple back then, still haven't heard from them as to what mount I want and when to expect them. I'm not worried, just be prepared to wait if you'd like to see what they're about.

I have to figure out if I want M mount or L mount ... L mount would go with the SL, but M mount is more versatile as it can be used on an M240 or M10 or SL or TL, given the M-to-T adapter.

Brian might be able to steer you in the right direction if you'd like to find a vintage version of a triplet to try. Might be quicker than the wait.

Hi there!

I have only had my Leica M6 a couple weeks and was going to get this Trioplan 35+ Lens but I don't really understand the how for the Leica M mount "rangefinder not supported/focusing via live view". Does that mean that the framelines (bright lines) in the viewfinder aren't there? How do you focus?

I'm really sorry if this is basic/novice info but I just want to be sure what I'm getting into. Thanks for any help you can provide!
Welcome to Leicaplace!

If a lens is not RF coupled, you will have to "zone focus" using best guess and the distance scale on the lens. For a 35mm focal length lens- not too bad if stopped down a bit.

22931527622_7da0fcd2b5_o.jpg
Join to see EXIF info for this image (if available)
Nikkor35_F35_Front by fiftyonepointsix, on Flickr

I would take a look at vintage "Tessar" formula lenses. The Nikkor 3.5cm F3.5 is a Tessar formula, and was made in Leica Thread Mount- shown on the left. The lens and an inexpensive adapter will give you proper framelines and RF focus on the M6.

Nikkor 3.5cm F3.5 LTM

My Nikkor 3.5cm F3.5 on the M Monochrom.

Back