Fuji Michael Reichman X-Pro 1 review is up

Nice job with the review as usual. It's a bit hard to tell whether any of the negatives are show stoppers for him. Usually he'll say if a camera is going to see a lot of use, and he didn't say that here, so I guess that's the answer.

None of those negatives would matter a lot to me, although honestly the camera would appeal to me more if there were no EVF at all. It's silly, I know.

Nice job with the review as usual. It's a bit hard to tell whether any of the negatives are show stoppers for him. Usually he'll say if a camera is going to see a lot of use, and he didn't say that here, so I guess that's the answer.

None of those negatives would matter a lot to me, although honestly the camera would appeal to me more if there were no EVF at all. It's silly, I know.

I feel the same about the negatives - they don't concern me much. I hadn't thought about the option of no EVF at all. That would be cool with me now that I consider it. I suppose they need the EVF for the forthcoming zooms, but since those lenses don't interest me (especially for this type of camera) I would be OK with it.

I suspect he will not be using the X-Pro very much. Not because he doesn't appreciate it. More because he very much liked the Nex 7, and transitioned to the OMD as his main carry everywhere camera. With that and the D800 he is pretty much set for a while.

I am on the cusp of a purchase. I had thought my choice was between the Nex 7 and the Fuji, but I don't like the Nex 7 in person. Now it's between the OMD and the Fuji. Nice to have the choice.

The OMD is, to my mind, one of the best cameras on paper that I have come across. It really is versatile, well specified, and it seems much enjoyed by those who like it. It seems to have very fine IQ too. But I just don't like it.

I haven't purchased a new camera since December '09, instead spending my time just shooting and enjoying it. But for various reasons I am ready to buy, and just can't settle my mind. Head says OMD, heart and desire for improving my photography says Fuji.

Problems, problems... :rolleyes:

I feel the same about the negatives - they don't concern me much. I hadn't thought about the option of no EVF at all. That would be cool with me now that I consider it. I suppose they need the EVF for the forthcoming zooms, but since those lenses don't interest me (especially for this type of camera) I would be OK with it.

I suspect he will not be using the X-Pro very much. Not because he doesn't appreciate it. More because he very much liked the Nex 7, and transitioned to the OMD as his main carry everywhere camera. With that and the D800 he is pretty much set for a while.

I am on the cusp of a purchase. I had thought my choice was between the Nex 7 and the Fuji, but I don't like the Nex 7 in person. Now it's between the OMD and the Fuji. Nice to have the choice.

The OMD is, to my mind, one of the best cameras on paper that I have come across. It really is versatile, well specified, and it seems much enjoyed by those who like it. It seems to have very fine IQ too. But I just don't like it.

I haven't purchased a new camera since December '09, instead spending my time just shooting and enjoying it. But for various reasons I am ready to buy, and just can't settle my mind. Head says OMD, heart and desire for improving my photography says Fuji.

I have to say your thinking is similar to my thoughts before purchasing the X-Pro 1.
I looked at all 3 (OMD, NEX 7 and X-Pro) admittedly if I had had to pay the brand new price of around £1900 for the X-Pro 1 and 35mm it would have been no contest I would have had an OMD but I managed to get a 2 week old set for £1300 which swung it!

Quite liked the NEX 7 and have had Sony DSLR's before so was considering a kit with the NEX 7 and A77 however the lack of lenses for the NEX really bugged me right now, I know it takes just about any adapted glass but while I've enjoyed using manual glass on the EP2 I had I don't think its really a replacement for good native glass.

The OMD for me has the best lens lineup, more by virtue of the longevity of M4/3 as its what 4 years old now? So theres a cracking set of lenses and for me I could have bought the OMD, 14mm, 25mm and 45mm for the cost of a brand new X-Pro 1 and 35mm.

However sadly for me the OMD is just too small for my hands and I also wasn't too keen on the EVF having had the VF2 with my EP2, however lens wise M4/3 is a great lineup and the OMD looks like a cracking camera in all departments.

I also tried an X100 for a short while and this really pushed me over the edge to looking at the X-Pro 1, I loved the handling and operation of the camera and found it IQ much better than the EP2 it replaced, I had planned to spend the summer with the X100 but the deal on the X-Pro 1 came up and I felt it was an unmissable chance to get the kit at what I'd class a steal for such a new camera!!!

I'm delighted with the IQ which is way better than the Olympus EP2 delivered for my shooting, I would like to see more lenses and I'm also encouraged by the improvements made in the X100 from launch to latest firmware, I'm very hopeful that Fuji will sort a lot of the kinks and bugs that have been highlighted by people but personally I haven't got any problems with it!!

I feel that the X-Pro 1 will help me to improve my photography skills while providing outstanding IQ in a very small package (although its a bit larger than I expected it handles very well!!!)

Sounds like you've made up your mind! It would be crazy to buy the OMD if you feel that way. Best options would be Fuji or wait to see what's next. With Photokina around the corner, you never know.

I have to say your thinking is similar to my thoughts before purchasing the X-Pro 1.
I looked at all 3 (OMD, NEX 7 and X-Pro) admittedly if I had had to pay the brand new price of around £1900 for the X-Pro 1 and 35mm it would have been no contest I would have had an OMD but I managed to get a 2 week old set for £1300 which swung it!

Quite liked the NEX 7 and have had Sony DSLR's before so was considering a kit with the NEX 7 and A77 however the lack of lenses for the NEX really bugged me right now, I know it takes just about any adapted glass but while I've enjoyed using manual glass on the EP2 I had I don't think its really a replacement for good native glass.

The OMD for me has the best lens lineup, more by virtue of the longevity of M4/3 as its what 4 years old now? So theres a cracking set of lenses and for me I could have bought the OMD, 14mm, 25mm and 45mm for the cost of a brand new X-Pro 1 and 35mm.

However sadly for me the OMD is just too small for my hands and I also wasn't too keen on the EVF having had the VF2 with my EP2, however lens wise M4/3 is a great lineup and the OMD looks like a cracking camera in all departments.

I also tried an X100 for a short while and this really pushed me over the edge to looking at the X-Pro 1, I loved the handling and operation of the camera and found it IQ much better than the EP2 it replaced, I had planned to spend the summer with the X100 but the deal on the X-Pro 1 came up and I felt it was an unmissable chance to get the kit at what I'd class a steal for such a new camera!!!

I'm delighted with the IQ which is way better than the Olympus EP2 delivered for my shooting, I would like to see more lenses and I'm also encouraged by the improvements made in the X100 from launch to latest firmware, I'm very hopeful that Fuji will sort a lot of the kinks and bugs that have been highlighted by people but personally I haven't got any problems with it!!

I feel that the X-Pro 1 will help me to improve my photography skills while providing outstanding IQ in a very small package (although its a bit larger than I expected it handles very well!!!)

Thanks for taking the time to post. Some very helpful comments.

It's a big decision for me. Though I love gear, I really like to have a set and stick with it for some time and concentrate on photography. So I want something that can cover what I like to shoot (documentary, landscape, architecture, a little street), intuitive controls, IQ that lets me print large, and that I can have for a few years at least.

I haven't re-gotten the XP1 yet, but the XP1 appeals to me more than the OMD and NEX7. To me, the IQ is simply better and so is the "look" of the camera. On the other hand, I'm invested with a good m4/3 lens lineup. So it makes more sense for me to keep using the OMD instead of re-getting the XP1 immediately (for the time being).

I check out the X-Pro1 every once in a while, due to the peer pressure/great images around here, but I just don't see there being much overlap between Fuji and the Oly. One is small (too small maybe for some) and fast, with a big/mature ecosystem, the other can deliver better IQ with more deliberate shooting. It would seem like a pretty great situation to be able to own both and use them each for what they do best.

I am really curious to see what Fuji's 24mm equiv. lens looks like and look forward to the 3rd party RAW stuff to be sorted.

I just spent two weeks shooting a lot of frames with both the XPro and the OM-D/E-M5, and I have to say they are both great but very different feel and shooting style too each. I find the Xpro to be more of a "photographer’s" camera and the OM-D more forgiving in actual use.
One needs to pay more attention when using the Fuji, one of the reasons I love it, if you have to hold still, you need to pay close attention to the corrected AF focus spot, it shoots much better when using the viewfinder, especially the OVF than using the back screen, the controls just right, the feel of the camera is great, the files are gorgeous, the dynamic range superb, the lenses are very good, with the 60 only hunting a little in very low light.
This camera just makes me want to shoot; I carried two bodies almost every day for two weeks and never felt like I had to put them down.
The OM-D on the other hand, because of the IS allows for a lot of one handed shooting, the tilting also helps a lot to shoot one handed candid’s, interestingly I found I had more miss focused shots with the OM-D, but this could also be could possibly be blamed on operator error, being a little too casual with the camera, I also found out that unlike my shooting with the XPro, I do not like shooting with the EVF on the Olympus and not because the EVF is better on the XPro it just that the OVF is so great to use. Some of the features I never thought about that feature before, and it has proved to useful on the OM-D, like the tilt screen and the weather sealing. To me I nave felt the need to be able to shoot in the mist but I have to admit that I know see this feature a s a positive for a travel/vacation camera. IU town if it is raining I just do not usually find the need to shoot but on vacation, who knows when you are coming back, so it is a useful feature.
The present day lens options for the OM-D are the main reason I am shooting with this camera, as the Fuji lens list grows I will reevaluate my commitment to the Olympus.

I was faced with the same X-Pro vs OMD decision and It was the same head (OMD) vs heart (X-Pro) type of deal. But I'm both hard headed and cold hearted and just couldn't work it out, so, like Bob, I have both. Can't imagine parting with either - use them both a lot, maybe the OMD slightly more due to the types of shooting they're best at and what I do - which pretty much confirms my head was right to go with the OMD. But the heart wants what the heart wants and it would be REALLY difficult to have to part with the Fuji. Fortunately, I don't have to get rid of either - I sold everything ELSE instead (except a GRD3). Great cameras, both of them.

-Ray

I'm with you Ray I can see a use for both and while I can't see myself picking up an OMD to go with the X-Pro anytime soon I could be tempted to pickup one of the other Pen (or Panasonic) bodies eventually.

That said I'd probably re-add an X100 to my collection if I want something pocketable!

If a casual visitor to SC were to read through this little thread, they would gain a clear picture of why it's such a cool place.

Thanks for sharing all the thoughts and experiences.

I found myself nodding while reading his review specially with his conclusion. I'm pretty much in the same boat as Bob and Ray with the only difference instead of the OMD, I have the NEX-7. They are both great cameras and I am enjoying them both. I tend to use the X-Pro with the 35mm kit (as we all know is a fantastic piece of glass) and I use my legacy and 3rd party lenses on the NEX-7.

I found myself nodding while reading his review specially with his conclusion. I'm pretty much in the same boat as Bob and Ray with the only difference instead of the OMD, I have the NEX-7. They are both great cameras and I am enjoying them both. I tend to use the X-Pro with the 35mm kit (as we all know is a fantastic piece of glass) and I use my legacy and 3rd party lenses on the NEX-7.

I potentially think there is scope for an X-Pro and NEX in my kit, aside from having inbuilt IS I'm not sure that the OMD has any other advantage over the NEX 7 for legacy glass, it seems to be certain that with focus peaking the NEX is the best for older glass at present.

Sent from my BlackBerry 9900 using Tapatalk

My major reservation (aside from price) with the X-Pro1 is that it is such a conservative design. Obviously it's designed with more traditional controls and shooting methods in mind, but against more modern designs it does seem to be somewhat bereft of features. If there was a second, smaller body with more modern styling and some E-M5/NEX 7 style features I'd seriously consider it. Trouble is I don't know if such a camera would fit into the market position that Fuji is trying to occupy.

My major reservation (aside from price) with the X-Pro1 is that it is such a conservative design. Obviously it's designed with more traditional controls and shooting methods in mind, but against more modern designs it does seem to be somewhat bereft of features. If there was a second, smaller body with more modern styling and some E-M5/NEX 7 style features I'd seriously consider it. Trouble is I don't know if such a camera would fit into the market position that Fuji is trying to occupy.

Not sure whats missing to be honest, aside from perhaps some of the more "automated" features and modes like an HDR Mode

No EVF?

Why would it appeal more with no EVF? Why remove a feature - you don't have to use it?

Lee

Back