Fuji Michael Reichmann's (Luminous Landscapes) take on the X-T1

A fair take on the limitation of the design I think. I won't be jumping in I don't believe on the X-T1 but will wait for what else Fuji has coming. It doesn't offer me enough to convince me to put down my X-E2 at this time.

Still, it is an intriguing camera with a lot of appeal. But for some reason it doesn't have my GAS juices flowing.

Some of the new lenses coming out though might catch my attention -- and my money, lol.

A fair take on the limitation of the design I think. I won't be jumping in I don't believe on the X-T1 but will wait for what else Fuji has coming. It doesn't offer me enough to convince me to put down my X-E2 at this time.

Still, it is an intriguing camera with a lot of appeal. But for some reason it doesn't have my GAS juices flowing.

Some of the new lenses coming out though might catch my attention -- and my money, lol.

Actually, I feel the same way. BTW, I gave up what he's talking about when I sold my D700.

Some frame and shoot with intent, so would love the XT1. Others shoot everything and anything in CH with the hope that maybe one frame may stand out, so would require a modern DSLR !

Thanks BB, nice to see some more opinions. Fuji cams seem to have a "honeymoon" period for a while after release where everyone can seemingly do nothing but gush about them, so it's nice occasionally to hear what people *don't* like about the design or performance.

I'm extremely interested in an X-T1, but I'm really trying to wait this one out for a while both for the prices to drop and for all the little usability details and quibbles to come out. :cool:

Some frame and shoot with intent, so would love the XT1. Others shoot everything and anything in CH with the hope that maybe one frame may stand out, so would require a modern DSLR !

Yeah, that's universally true. Nothing like a little ridiculous generality to engender positive vibes...

They're CAMERAS, not personality disorders. There are all sorts of good reasons to choose the XT1 or not to and to choose a modern DSLR or not to or a P&S or not to or an iPhone or not to. Jeez man...

Edit - it occurs to me you may have been joking somehow in which case I totally missed it. If so, I apologize for my mini-rant. If not, the mini-rant stands...

-Ray

I had an XE1 and liked it and I'd have loved an XE2. But when I decided to jump back into Fuji, I decided on the XT1 instead basically because of the combination of the better EVF and the flip up screen. Other than that, they're functionally identical for how I'd use either (I pretty much never use tracking AF). So far I'm really liking the EVF and the flip up screen so the difference was worth it to me. If those hadn't mattered, I'd have been just as happy with the XE2, no doubt...

-Ray

The more reviews there like this the better... An informed consumer is the best customer... some people, probably not many, will read one of these and say "Hmmm, I'm not going to get one because I want highlight clipping in my review image...", while others, like me for instance, will say... "Great review, glad he pointed out a few gotchas, but they aren't deal breakers"... but now, when the camera is received, there will be less "I just got my new X-T1 and it doesn't have highlight clipping in the review image" posts...

Reichmann is the guy who doesn't like the GM-1 because it doesn't have an EVF? Mr. Reichmann does speak his mind and has a rather deterministic way to look at hardware. I like it :)

While I understand his points, I never use either of his pet peeve missing features on any camera except, I do like having the presets on my GR, mainly because it takes a little time to set those things unlike the X-T1. In fact I turn off the review function in almost every camera I own because I find it distracting. If you have exposure doubts adj or bracket, no need to check blinking highlight or shadow warnings unless you are shooting white on white or black on black. Every one likes too shoot in their own way and for me the X-T1 is laid almost perfectly

One of the positives for me about the X-E2 is that the EVF is on the left side of the camera. My left eye acuity has diminished to the point that I must use my right eye to shoot. Since I also wear glasses, it's nice to place my right eye right up to the viewfinder without my nose getting in the way.

If it weren't for that, I'd love to have the tilt screen.

When I first got my XT1 I was trying to set the Auto ISO the way I had it set on my XE2. It frustrated me that some selections weren't there. Then I realized why. Point is, these are tools. When I shot film between myself and the studio we had 8x10, 5x7, 4x5, 2 1/4, Nikon SLR and Leica range finder.

I selected the camera and lenses based on what I was planning to shoot. Sure the unforeseen may happen. Oh well.

Michael's observations are appropriate, and he qualified them properly.

Back