Micro 4/3 Micro 4/3 samples

1000012583.jpg
Join to see EXIF info for this image (if available)

P1020592_rt_g.jpg

Brighton from Hollingbury Golf Course.

Some people may have noticed that many of my recent photos include benches. I've been told by people who know about these kinds of things that I must benchmark my PC, my graphics card, my cameras, my raw developers, photo editors etc. So now I take many pictures of benches and find that I like them all very much. I award myself an honorary pass.

View attachment 475995

Some people may have noticed that many of my recent photos include benches. I've been told by people who know about these kinds of things that I must benchmark my PC, my graphics card, my cameras, my raw developers, photo editors etc. So now I take many pictures of benches and find that I like them all very much. I award myself an honorary pass.
Definitely the way to go, Julian.

Bench marking is very important ... :rofl: :ROFLMAO: .

Nice photo too.

View attachment 475995

Would you benchmark a Mark sitting on a bench benchmarking the bench? :p

51133506565_9f0a659d52_h.jpg

Ernest Harbordt – 11 February 1899 [Paynesville Cemetery] by Andrew Priest, on Flickr

Ernest Harbordt, 24 years old, was a miner working at Lake Austin Murchison.

The verdict of the coroner's enquiry was that the deceased came to his death from a blow on the head caused by a rockfall in the water shaft being sunk on the Lady Maud Lease 416 on 11 February 1899.

Gascoyne Murchison Outback Pathway Exploration July-August 2020 - #GMOPE 41.

P1020931_g.JPG

I have a new toy: the Panasonic DMW-GFC1 Fisheye Conversion Lens. It was designed for the 14mm f2.5 and the wide end of the older 14-42mm kit lenses. I've tried it on my tiny 12-32mm. It vignettes horribly at 12mm but at 14mm (the intended focal length for use) it works well for jpegs. This one was taken at 14mm with the adapter on. Any slight darkness in the corners of this image was added by me using a vignette filter in an editor. I have a 14mm f2.5 but didn't try these together yet as I like to do things the hard way first. I've ordered a step down ring so I can try it at the wide end of my 9-18mm M.Zuiko, which should be odd/interesting/futile...will post some results when I have some. Back in the 1980s I had an abominable screw on lens adapter called the "Polysales Macro-Wider"*, one of those two piece things of which the first piece makes a very nasty close up filter and the second piece added makes a truly awful wide angle adapter with massive chromatic aberrations and vignetting and total loss of sharpness. This Panasonic conversion lens is the first screw on wide conversion lens I've tried in 40 years! It's actually pretty decent. Perfectly usable. This image was edited from a jpeg not a raw. If I look at the raw in rawtherapee there is obvious vignetting even at 14mm but rawtherapee is really raw! It doesn't correct distortion automatically and crop accordingly like Adobe or Silkypix, and when using lensfun corrections (as Silkypix also uses) its crops are very conservative indeed, or less like what you see in the viewfinder if you prefer to think of it that way. In the EVF I compared the 9mm end of the M.Zuiko with the Lumix 12-32mm with this Fisheye adapter. It does seem that this adapter on a 14mm lens offers a true 120 degree view, it is definitely wider than the 9mm Olympus view. Of course, the M.Zuiko offers a highly corrected image whereas this adapter, while using the full 4:3 frame is definitely not perfectly rectilinear. There is considerable curvature. My next project is to use it with the fixed focal length 14mm Lumix lens and use hugin to work out some corrections to make its images perfectly rectilinear, if possible.

*Polysales was a huge mail order photographic retailer in UK which sold every weird thing under the sun. It was like the www for photo kit before the www. Long defunct. In my teens and 20s I bought quite a lot of terrible old rubbish from them and mostly loved it :)

P1020905_rt_g.jpg
P1020905.JPG

The B&W is straight out of camera jpeg. The colour image is from raw via rawtherapee and gimp. Image made with 12-32mm set at 14mm and with Panasonic DMW-GFC1 Fisheye Conversion Lens. The original shot was b/w but looking at the raws I noticed how the red and purple blooms and the hues of the rocks and the road on the left of the image added to the composition.

edit: the scene is at The Rock Garden opposite Preston Park, Brighton, UK. It's a very pretty place and if you like your curated beauty accompanied by the noise of the main road to London it is actually perfect. It is a lovely place to visit with earplugs or noise cancelling/isolating earphones.

Last edited:
Here in England we're not as advanced as the North American democracies. Some urban parts of our country are still rendered in Kodachrome, others in Agfachrome. The really deprived areas are still in Ilford HP5+ with the occasional crime-ridden hellhole even appearing in pushed Tri-X. Of course the countryside is all Velvia and Pan F.

Back