Micro 4/3 Micro 4/3 samples

Every once in awhile, on some non-Leica camera forums, someone posts a thread asking fellow photographers if they would buy a monochrome-only Lumix - or Fuji - or Olympus. Then, a lively debate ensues over the long-term merits of the concept, as well as the practical aspects, whether (or not) most camera companies (apart from Leica, obviously) could 'afford' to create a particular model with, according to conventional wisdom, limited 'niche' potential.

I now have my own de facto answer to the aforementioned question: most of the time, I'm keeping my GX9 semi-permanently in l.monochrome.d mode.

It's proving to be a satisfactory way to scratch my decades-old-black-and-white-obsessesions which date back to an early (and largely misspent) photographic youth when I used to shoot hundreds and thousands of frames of Tri-X on my old Pentaxes.

And you know what? My little GX9ochrom keeps delivering the goods. Like this shot, taken in the harsh noontime sunlight of an Oregon summer---

GX9_July6_21_DODGE_truck#2(l.mono.d).jpg
Join to see EXIF info for this image (if available)

I had some (quite a few, actually) regrets when I sold my former favorite mu43 body, a GX8, and replaced it with the GX9. The GX8 was and is a great camera. But for monochromatic meandering, the GX9 may be even better.

Last edited:
guess EM1mk2 and Oly 12-60mm is still my favorite all-round combo for walks
Is that the old 4/3 ZD 12-60, with an MMF-2 or 3? I used to use a ZD 14-54 Mk II on an E-M1 with an MMF-3. Great IQ, and I'd be tempted to go that route with my E-M1 Mk II, but I don't hike much these days due to foot inflammation. I can bike ride just fine, though, and that combo wouldn't fit in my small bicycle camera bag.

Is that the old 4/3 ZD 12-60, with an MMF-2 or 3? I used to use a ZD 14-54 Mk II on an E-M1 with an MMF-3. Great IQ, and I'd be tempted to go that route with my E-M1 Mk II, but I don't hike much these days due to foot inflammation. I can bike ride just fine, though, and that combo wouldn't fit in my small bicycle camera bag.
Maybe the 12-45, Tony?

I also have the 14-54 MkII, and now mostly use my 12-100 on my E-M1 MkII.

Maybe the 12-45, Tony?

I also have the 14-54 MkII, and now mostly use my 12-100 on my E-M1 MkII.
I concur about the 12-45mm f/4 PRO - if it allows you to take the combo, of course. It's a great walkaround lens, small, light, rugged, and optically very good (it's mostly on par with the 12-40mm f/2.8 PRO - sharper on the long end, too, even when both are at f/4). It's no bokeh monster unless you get really close to your subject - which, fortunately, you can. That's it for obvious downsides - though if you work from RAW, you'll have to remember to correct distortion in critical shots, but that's easy to do.. The lens obviously works extremely well on a small body like my E-M5 III. I'd rather sell the 12-40mm than this little gem!

M.

Yes, it’s the old 4/3 12-60 with an MMF-3.
I used that combo on a lot of my hikes back when we lived in Oregon - and it was nice to pick it up again yesterday.

(I briefly thought about taking my Nikon D750 with 24-120mm (because of the contrasty forest light) - but I’m glad I didn’t.
That Nikon combo is just on the wrong side of too heavy - and the Oly EM1.2 feels just nicer in use to me)

I purchased the m43 12-40mm twice but didn’t warm up to it. The images just felt too sharp and contrasty - where the old ZD lenses felt a bit more “gentle” in their sharpness… I don’t know - it’s hard to describe… I’ve seen plenty of wonderful photos by other people taken with the 12-40mm… It just didn’t gel with me :)
Even down to the size/weight distribution - which didn’t work with my preferred carry bag… or the feel of the PRO lenses’ black metal finish (I prefer the old-school rubberized lenses for some reason :) )

I read somewhere that the more recent PRO lenses aren’t quite as bitingly sharp/harsh as the 12-40mm, which sounds intriguing to me.
But I already have all those old 43 zooms (even the weird and wonderful PanaLeica 14-150mm) - so I never could justify the expense for the new ones…

Sorry for the long rambling :)
Yes, as John suggests, the new m43 12-45mm could be a good option for you.
Or the old 43 14-54mm (which can be had really cheap these days)
(with the old 43 lenses I make sure to manually focus - with focus magnification…)

@tonyturley there might be some options on the Panasonic side that could work for you as well:
- the Pana 12-60mm 3.5-5.6 isn’t a “PRO” level lens, but it’s weather resistant and very light (could be a better option than an old Oly 14-54mm with adapter )
- if the 12-60mm range isn’t super important to you, the Pana 12-35mm 2.8 might be interesting too

I've owned both the P 12-60 3.5-5.6, and the PL 12-60 2.8-4. The latter is an excellent lens, but a bit on the beefy side, especially when stuffed in a camera bag and mounted on a bicycle's handlebars. I am forever in a tug of war trying to decide the best combination to take on my bike rides. I often default to the Fuji X30, which is capable of nice imagery, but does have its drawbacks. I keep hoping (in vain) that Fuji would come out with a 1" sensor weather sealed X40.

I keep hoping (in vain) that Fuji would come out with a 1" sensor weather sealed X40.
I’d buy one of those too :)
Maybe one of the Canon 1-inch cameras could work for your purposes?

And then there’s of course the countless iterations of Sony’s RX100… But I could never warm up to one of those - capable as they are… The Canon alternatives feel a bit more like “cameras” to me… (I know, not a rational rationale :) )

I've owned both the P 12-60 3.5-5.6, and the PL 12-60 2.8-4. The latter is an excellent lens, but a bit on the beefy side, especially when stuffed in a camera bag and mounted on a bicycle's handlebars. I am forever in a tug of war trying to decide the best combination to take on my bike rides. I often default to the Fuji X30, which is capable of nice imagery, but does have its drawbacks. I keep hoping (in vain) that Fuji would come out with a 1" sensor weather sealed X40.
Tony, I solved that problem by buying an E-PM2 (low mileage) to go with my 14-42 EZ with JJC auto-opening lens cap. No VF, but the screen is OK in most light, unlike my smartphone.

Back