Micro 4/3 Micro 4/3 samples

50802551951_79ae44b7ef_h.jpg

Le Pont de Montvert from the Photography Viewpoint by Andrew Priest, on Flickr
Looking back to Le Pont de Montvert from the ‘photography point’ as we climb closer to the plateau, known as the Cham de l’Hermet. We climbed via an ancient, cobbled footpath, once used by muleteers.

Chemin de Stevenson-2018-D9-04: Day 9 of 12 – Le Pont de Montvert to Florac: Walking the Chemin de Stevenson (GR 70 Robert Louis Stevenson Trail) in the south of France

OA030489-01.jpeg
Join to see EXIF info for this image (if available)

OA030451-01.jpeg
Join to see EXIF info for this image (if available)

50786958116_d49a0de2a3_h.jpg

MOL Generosity with Friend by Andrew Priest, on Flickr
MOL Generosity (IMO: 953216) is a container ship registered and sailing under the flag of Liberia. Her gross tonnage is 59,176. She was built in 2012 by Hyundai Samho Heavy Industries, Samho. Her overall length (loa) is 275.07 m, and her beam is 40.04 m. Her container capacity is 5,605 teu. She is operated by Peter Doehle Schiffahrts-KG of Hamburg.

I photographed the MOL Generosity on her approach to berth at Fremantle Port on 12 September 2016.

some recent m43 photos (EM1mk2) - I finally gave in and picked up an old Oly 50-200mm. Very nice lens - but slow autofocus (it's the non-SWD version)

52414321189_39760bc503_c.jpg
garden visitors by tilman paulin, on Flickr

52414041191_8857255635_b.jpg

52427869987_c21aa9dca0_c.jpg
morning sun by tilman paulin, on Flickr

52428654074_f559856897_b.jpg
morning walk by tilman paulin, on Flickr

52389724491_45b88f2e53_c.jpg
evening walk by tilman paulin, on Flickr

52388798122_71a5776d4d_c.jpg
evening walk by tilman paulin, on Flickr

this one was actually taken with the m43 Oly 75-300mm - came out quite nice as well :)

52414551913_17b0cc6115_c.jpg

some recent m43 photos (EM1mk2) - I finally gave in and picked up an old Oly 50-200mm. Very nice lens - but slow autofocus (it's the non-SWD version)

View attachment 342287garden visitors by tilman paulin, on Flickr

View attachment 342288garden visitors by tilman paulin, on Flickr

View attachment 342289morning sun by tilman paulin, on Flickr

View attachment 342290morning walk by tilman paulin, on Flickr

View attachment 342291evening walk by tilman paulin, on Flickr

View attachment 342292evening walk by tilman paulin, on Flickr

this one was actually taken with the m43 Oly 75-300mm - came out quite nice as well :)

View attachment 342293garden visitors by tilman paulin, on Flickr
Tilman, having both lenses (50-200 MkI and 75-300 MkII), what are your thoughts on comparative IQ? I also have both, and feel that the 75-300 MkII just pips the 50-200 MkI at the post.

Leaving aside the fact that the 50-200 MkI is about 2 stops faster, and good wide open.

Tilman, having both lenses (50-200 MkI and 75-300 MkII), what are your thoughts on comparative IQ? I also have both, and feel that the 75-300 MkII just pips the 50-200 MkI at the post.

Leaving aside the fact that the 50-200 MkI is about 2 stops faster, and good wide open.
I think that the Oly 75-300mm mk2 is a remarkable lens for its size and weight.
I’ve taken some wonderful photos with it over the years…
It’s main weakness from my experience is shooting against the sun. Partially the flare, and partially the aberrations around things like backlit grasses etc…
I bought some lens hoods for it, but really need to use them more often.

I also feel that its resolving power is great on nearby subjects, but not quite as good for far away. (but that could also be a result of camera movement smearing out the fine detail)

I think my main problem with the 75-300mm is that I lost a bit of shooting discipline over the years :) Being such a light lens it benefits from being on a monopod…

I was really hoping for a 75-300mm mk3. Maybe with added weather-sealing and some better lens coatings (without adding much weight).
But since that never materialized - I started looking at any options that don’t break the bank (nor my neck :) )

The 55-200mm is clearly the “better” lens optically (but also a lot bigger and heavier).
It deals better with challenging light, has really nice blur even in contrasty out-of-focus areas, not to forget the 2 stops faster…
But - having said that - I initially thought I had taken the woodpecker photo above with the “new” 50-200mm… (“see how nice that new lens is”) and only realized after uploading to Flickr that it was taken with the 75-300mm :D

I think they both live nicely side-by-side…
The 75-300mm had quite an undeserved bad reputation for a while - which I never shared or understood.
On the contrary, it was one of the main draws of m43 for me. :)

I think that the Oly 75-300mm mk2 is a remarkable lens for its size and weight.
I’ve taken some wonderful photos with it over the years…
It’s main weakness from my experience is shooting against the sun. Partially the flare, and partially the aberrations around things like backlit grasses etc…
I bought some lens hoods for it, but really need to use them more often.

I also feel that its resolving power is great on nearby subjects, but not quite as good for far away. (but that could also be a result of camera movement smearing out the fine detail)

I think my main problem with the 75-300mm is that I lost a bit of shooting discipline over the years :) Being such a light lens it benefits from being on a monopod…

I was really hoping for a 75-300mm mk3. Maybe with added weather-sealing and some better lens coatings (without adding much weight).
But since that never materialized - I started looking at any options that don’t break the bank (nor my neck :) )

The 55-200mm is clearly the “better” lens optically (but also a lot bigger and heavier).
It deals better with challenging light, has really nice blur even in contrasty out-of-focus areas, not to forget the 2 stops faster…
But - having said that - I initially thought I had taken the woodpecker photo above with the “new” 50-200mm… (“see how nice that new lens is”) and only realized after uploading to Flickr that it was taken with the 75-300mm :D

I think they both live nicely side-by-side…
The 75-300mm had quite an undeserved bad reputation for a while - which I never shared or understood.
On the contrary, it was one of the main draws of m43 for me. :)
I would agree with your assessment pretty much, Tilman.

I think that the bad reputation was partly a hangover from the FTs 70-300, which was not highly regarded, rightly or wrongly. My brother owns a 70-300, but I have never used it. He lives about 1,700 Kms away.

Man, that is REALLY leaning into that corner!
Hope that he didn't come unstuck ...

Slightly deceptive , John. You may know, but Southern Loop are two consecutive fast left handers that climbs for the first half and then runs downhill through section two. I was looking for some different shots to the standard fair you see, and with no access to the inner sides of the track i decided to try my luck shooting from below for the crest as the riders came into view. Another half second and the full bike would be visible, but i was aiming to ideally just catch them as they broke the skyline. It's a better shot than i realised at the time. This is straight off the camera with a crop, it could do with some editing of the highlights in the raw file.

I'm actually really pleased with some of them. I wish i could have gone back today, this is a discipline that needs stacks of practice and some plans to come up with new idea's.

Last edited:
Back