Micro 4/3 Micro 4/3 samples

Camera entry restrictions to the event: The camera must fit the pocket.
P1330550.jpg
Join to see EXIF info for this image (if available)

50841367396_b11be3e1dc_h.jpg

Commercial Hotel, Dowerin, Western Australia by Andrew Priest, on Flickr

The Commercial Hotel, which today is heritage listed, was built in 1908 by FW Gustav Liebe who also constructed His Majesty's Theatre, Hay St Perth, and The Peninsular Hotel, Maylands, both of which are on the State Register of Heritage Buildings. Changes made to the fabric can be identified and illustrate periods of prosperity in Dowerin.

A little of its colourful history:

‘The opening of the Commercial Hotel on New Year's Day 1909 was celebrated in lavish style. About 100 people attended and some 75 residents partook of the midday meal at the invitation of the licensee. (The Northam Advertiser 9 January 1909)

The solid construction of the building was put to the test just six weeks after the opening when a tornado hit Dowerin. The original agricultural hall was destroyed and many buildings in the town were severely damaged, but the hurricane winds and torrential rain had little effect on the hotel. A large, galvanised iron tank just obtained by Rose was lifted off its stand, blown hundreds of metres and left in a battered and useless condition. A second empty water tank at the hotel would have suffered the same fate had it not been held down by several men until the rain partially filled it and anchored it down. But the building itself remained untouched. (The Northam Advertiser 24 February 1909)

Gascoyne Murchison Outback Pathway Exploration July-August 2020 - - #GMOPE 22.

300mm f4.5 AI Nikkor on the E-M1

52716066166_a67ffe12c9_o.jpg
P2280004 by Walter Kernow, on Flickr

300mm f4.5 AI Nikkor on the E-M5

52716324799_51cc608101_o.jpg
EM580020 by Walter Kernow, on Flickr

300mm f4.5 AI Nikkor on the E-M5 w/ Viltrox Speed Booster (which won't mount on my E-M1 for some reason)

52716065951_6e29a91da8_o.jpg
EM580004 by Walter Kernow, on Flickr

Mad respect for people shooting this with film or without image-stabilisation. I used a mono-pod for these and it was still pretty shakey (I should have disabled IS). Handheld would be a nightmare for me.

300mm f4.5 AI Nikkor on the E-M1

View attachment 369286P2280004 by Walter Kernow, on Flickr

300mm f4.5 AI Nikkor on the E-M5

View attachment 369287EM580020 by Walter Kernow, on Flickr

300mm f4.5 AI Nikkor on the E-M5 w/ Viltrox Speed Booster (which won't mount on my E-M1 for some reason)

View attachment 369288EM580004 by Walter Kernow, on Flickr

Mad respect for people shooting this with film or without image-stabilisation. I used a mono-pod for these and it was still pretty shakey (I should have disabled IS). Handheld would be a nightmare for me.
Always use IBIS on a monopod IME, Walter!

Even with fully electronic shutter and the E-M1 MkII IBIS, I find my 75-300 MkII hard to hand hold steady (bloody difficult, more like it!).

Iso 12800 jpeg is a step or two too far for the Om-1 , but sometimes ya just gotta do whatever it takes to get the shot if you want it. Almost total darkness for the tawny frogmouth. Even at that iso, it's still 1/10 on the shutter. Crazy.

I'll be interested to see what dxo could do with the raw file.

O3120478-01.jpeg

Iso 12800 jpeg is a step or two too far for the Om-1 , but sometimes ya just gotta do whatever it takes to get the shot if you want it. Almost total darkness for the tawny frogmouth. Even at that iso, it's still 1/10 on the shutter. Crazy.

View attachment 372054
Lovely tawny frogmouth (Podargus strigoides), Jason. They are beautiful birds.

Try using an USM to sharpen (a subtractive method) not "sharpening" (which is an additive method), then just try Photoshop's noise reduction, or the other way around ...

I have found this very good on Olympus files, as the RAW file noise is very fine grained, not 'blobby' like some cameras.

View attachment 372054
A really beautiful tawny frogmouth photo. Well caught! And no, I don't think that ISO 12 800 is too far, if you are prepared to take in raw format and make use of noise reduction software.

This was what I managed with ISO 20,000, when I first sent the ORF file through DxO PureRAW, before importing the resulting DNG file into Capture One Pro for further refinement:

52613714690_21dbc8c4cc_o.jpg
Rainbow Lorikeet by Laurence Griffiths, on Flickr

Last edited:
Iso 12800 jpeg is a step or two too far for the Om-1 , but sometimes ya just gotta do whatever it takes to get the shot if you want it.
Ambulance Crew On Standby - No NR.jpg
Ambulance Crew On Standby.jpg

The first is the shot at ISO 12,800, no noise reduction. The second is everything the same but using OM Workspace RAW AI noise reduction.

Edit: This resized down to 2000 pixels from top to bottom from the original 3043 pixel crop.

Last edited:
Here's a version run through DXO. Maybe a bit oversharpened?

But wow, you can pull the shadows up and the noise in the OOF area's is just melted away by the software. (It took about 5 minutes for DXO prime raw to process this photo on my laptop though, lol) .

Edit; And i just noticed the little spider on the branch below the bird, lol. One thing is very obvious to me - the ibis of the OM-1 is ridiculous. 1/10th of a second at 300mm fov equivalent!? Crazy good.

O3120478dxo2.jpg

Last edited:
Here's a version run through DXO. Maybe a bit oversharpened?

But wow, you can pull the shadows up and the noise in the OOF area's is just melted away by the software. (It took about 5 minutes for DXO prime raw to process this photo on my laptop though, lol) .

Edit; And i just noticed the little spider on the branch below the bird, lol. One thing is very obvious to me - the ibis of the OM-1 is ridiculous. 1/10th of a second at 300mm fov equivalent!? Crazy good.

View attachment 372135
DxO PureRAW does tend to oversharpen a bit. The first thing that I do after importing the DNG file into Capture One is wind back the sharpness (and exposure) a bit. ;)

DxO PureRAW is also very processor hungry. My old 2012 MacBook PRO is painfully slow, even though it was fully expanded when I bought it. Even my more recent 2018 Mac Mini, which is Intel-powered, was very slow until I bought a BlackMagic eGPU. Now its speed is quite acceptable.

Back