Micro 4/3 Micro 4/3 samples

Yeah it's a tough one, because instinctively I feel it was a super copy of that model, but there's no guarantee that it'd be as sharp as it was before the fall. One thing I may do is re buy a 2nd hand copy of the G9 , because I also have an (unfounded) suspicion that for tiny static objects, the panasonic G9 " pin point AF" setting is more accurate than the Om-1's small point AF . I wouldn't be shocked if the G9 proved to be the better setup for " macro" scenes.

You make a good point about the potential 50-200/2.8.
I would be disappointed with OM-1 if that would be true for macro BUT Panasonic cameras can't focus bracket or stack with Flash and that's something I am strongly interested and trying to learn to do.

Getting a little off topic but I still have a Gx-8 and that has pin-point AF. It's sensor is different to the G9, and shutter shock is a risk on the 8, but it might be worth running a test against the Om-1 . Certainly cheaper than buying another G9.....😄. And to clarify, I'm not certain of my theory. And I'm not at all unhappy with the Om-1. If I had to put money on a bet, I'd be backing that most impact is that my old 40-150 was superior to my current one rather than one body better than another.

48208296491_79fa40a2e3_h.jpg

Walk in the shoes of convicts by Andrew Priest, on Flickr

The Fremantle Prison - The Convict Establishment (Fremantle, Western Australia) is lit at night with various colours. In April 2019, I visited the prison on a dark, stormy night to record the colours. This shot was of the wall alongside the ramp leading up to the gates of the prison. The convicts not only built the wall and ramp, but they had to walk it too.

Today, the Fremantle prison is a UNESCO World Heritage site.

1000006552-02.jpeg
Join to see EXIF info for this image (if available)

Did a quick comparison between my E-M1 and E-M1 mk 2 - handheld with the 43rds 35mm f3.5 Oly Macro - pretty similar to my eye but will see how it goes in the months to come as it becomes my main m43 macro machine (+ I was loosing patience with my original E-M1 resetting at inopportune times).

53443237081_1b97e8203e_o.jpg
P1050018 by Walter Kernow, on Flickr

53443552464_308592c3fc_o.jpg
SMD50017 by Walter Kernow, on Flickr

E-M1 top and E-M1 mk 2 bottom.

Trying the E-M1 mk II focus tracking.... not sure if its helping or not but I'm hoping my BIF (bee-in-flight) hit-rate will improve. I got lucky this morning with one even though it was a little out of focus.

53454498360_96b1121cfc_o.jpg
SMD90081 by Walter Kernow, on Flickr

53454400549_a48b914520_o.jpg
SMD00104 by Walter Kernow, on Flickr

Trying the E-M1 mk II focus tracking.... not sure if its helping or not but I'm hoping my BIF (bee-in-flight) hit-rate will improve. I got lucky this morning with one even though it was a little out of focus.

View attachment 441207SMD90081 by Walter Kernow, on Flickr

View attachment 441208SMD00104 by Walter Kernow, on Flickr
Focus Bracketing is only for extremely still subjects, even the lightest of breezes will ruin any effort. Even if you shoot at 1/32.000 sec with 1/1 power flash is not going to avoid motion blur.

Have you tried Pro Capture for the bees in flight? It will help with landing and takeoff with minimal effort. I know it's a pain the "battery door" to have to deal with tens or hundreds of picture but it's easier to delete images then double back to try again.

Focus Bracketing is only for extremely still subjects, even the lightest of breezes will ruin any effort. Even if you shoot at 1/32.000 sec with 1/1 power flash is not going to avoid motion blur.

Have you tried Pro Capture for the bees in flight? It will help with landing and takeoff with minimal effort. I know it's a pain the "battery door" to have to deal with tens or hundreds of picture but it's easier to delete images then double back to try again.
I'll have to read up on Pro Capture - my shooting is just for funsies and the flowers are usually just by my front or back door in the garden so its not too much hassle to keep plugging away and hope for the right shot. I do wonder if MF would help a little - There is a brief moment when the bees take flight that they are likely in the same focal-plane as when they were resting on the flower - I should try a hot-key to AF on the flower and then MF as they toke off. Will have to experiment a bit. I also need to fiddle some more with off-camera flash but I'm not sure I have the patience for the setup.

1000012686.png

A quick comparison of 2 images of the same subject, on the left is 20 MP single shot and on the right is a panorama stitch for 138 MP output (can't remember how many pictures it took) and I am favourite heavily towards the panorama look with a bit more separation from the background but also the colours and the overall rendition looks better and more pleasing (to me). The images were edited the same way with the save values as the one on the left before merging to panorama.

Back