Micro 4/3 Micro 4/3 samples

There are lots of punters in the m43 community who think the Lumix 14mm/ f2.5 is not very good. I disagree:
In the ways lenses are measured, it's not. At least relative to other lenses in a similar part of the wide angle universe, like the Olympus 12mm or the new Pany 15 (I don't actually know much about the 15mm, but I'm assuming Pany wouldn't have released it without a pretty notable improvement over the 14). But that doesn't mean it can't be used to make wonderful photographs, as you've so capably shown. I always liked it a lot when I was shooting m43 too, largely for it's small size and fast AF. I came to like the Olympus 12mm more, but that had more to do with the functional zone focus capability that lens gave you with it's "clutch" MF/AF focus ring than any optical quality differences between the lens. The original Olympus 17mm f2.8 (that Miguel is using so capably on his EP1) was technically as bad a prime lens as there's ever been in m43 (body caps aside), but it has it's own charms too and I've seen many incredible photo's with it. Just because a lens isn't a great lens from a technical standpoint, doesn't mean it's not still a pretty damn good one, and even bad ones can be used to make great art.

Being a technically great lens and a lens that can be used to make great photographs have never been even remotely close to the same thing...

-Ray

I must disagree slightly: I think the 14mm Panasonic pancake actually seems to have a stellar reputation in many photographic circles. Not merely for the 28mm FOV, for its tiny size, or its excellent AF characteristics - but also for its sharpness, resolving power, microcontrast, yadda yadda yadda. I think no less a luminary than Roger Cicala over at lensrentals did a series of detailed comparisons between a number of micro four thirds zooms and primes a few years ago - and the tiny Lumix 14mm wound up being the star of the show, with serious numbers that if I remember correctly were only equalled by the PanaLeica 25mm lens, also a fine piece of glass but one which used to cost somewhere between 2 and 3 times as much as the 14mm.

The 17mm Olympus pancake, on the other hand, got abysmal 'numbers', both from Roger Cicala's eagle eye and measurements, as well as those of a number of other semi-respected reviewers, most of whom didn't mince words and dismissed it as somewhere between cheap and inferior. And, yeah, it's possible there were a number of bad copies of the 17mm floating around. But I've been lucky enough to own two above average copies of this same 'inferior' lens; Bill Beebe, who reviewed it for 'Thew's Reviews' a few years back also got sensational results from his 17mm Zuiko pancake, and a local friend of mine who is an astoundingly great photographer has taken some jaw-droppingly wonderful images with his lowly 17mm.

Moral of the story, for me, is that there are probably good and bad copies of every lens, something Ming Thein has also noted. But rayvonn - judging from the cool* images you just posted, yours looks like a keeper :)

* I really like that one of the Rolls btw

Another photograph from my dirt-cheap and stupidly tiny Olympus 15mm BCL (body cap lens) - this one of a railroad crossing in my hometown -

38569318.2d5cc67f.1024.jpg

Railroad Crossing (Talent, Oregon)
by MiguelATF, on ipernity

Mounted onto the quite tiny Lumix GX1 body, it makes for a nifty and unassuming little package. The weird 3-position focus lever (closeup - hyperfocal distance - and inifinity) takes a little getting used to, however....but that may be half the fun :)

I must disagree slightly: I think the 14mm Panasonic pancake actually seems to have a stellar reputation in many photographic circles. Not merely for the 28mm FOV, for its tiny size, or its excellent AF characteristics - but also for its sharpness, resolving power, microcontrast, yadda yadda yadda. I think no less a luminary than Roger Cicala over at lensrentals did a series of detailed comparisons between a number of micro four thirds zooms and primes a few years ago - and the tiny Lumix 14mm wound up being the star of the show, with serious numbers that if I remember correctly were only equalled by the PanaLeica 25mm lens, also a fine piece of glass but one which used to cost somewhere between 2 and 3 times as much as the 14mm.

The 17mm Olympus pancake, on the other hand, got abysmal 'numbers', both from Roger Cicala's eagle eye and measurements, as well as those of a number of other semi-respected reviewers, most of whom didn't mince words and dismissed it as somewhere between cheap and inferior. And, yeah, it's possible there were a number of bad copies of the 17mm floating around. But I've been lucky enough to own two above average copies of this same 'inferior' lens; Bill Beebe, who reviewed it for 'Thew's Reviews' a few years back also got sensational results from his 17mm Zuiko pancake, and a local friend of mine who is an astoundingly great photographer has taken some jaw-droppingly wonderful images with his lowly 17mm.

Moral of the story, for me, is that there are probably good and bad copies of every lens, something Ming Thein has also noted. But rayvonn - judging from the cool* images you just posted, yours looks like a keeper :)

* I really like that one of the Rolls btw
I seem to remember the 14mm scoring pretty badly on some test sites.

But, NO MATTER! My point was that test numbers have bupkis to do with how well a lens can be used. Even the "worst" lenses today are pretty good in a historic context and a lot of lenses that would probably do quite horribly on a test bench are responsible for lots of really iconic photos over the years. I was certainly always quite happy with the first Oly 17 and loved that Pany 14 until I got hold of the Oly 12. Which, as I said, I liked more for functional reasons more than optical ones...

-Ray

Some real goodies there - great colors. The P6120159-pano looks like a painting, in the best possible way.

First outings with the new E-M10. I really like the Panasonic 12-32 lens on it, it suits it perfectly. I also found that the i-enhance picture mode is hideous, so I had to re-process everything taken in that mode with the Olympus Viewer software to "natural".

with the 12-32, all SOOC jpegs.
18836846716_cb1b031e67_b.jpg
P6150101-3.jpg
by Martin Connolly, on Flickr

18675283658_da2492e0f6_b.jpg
Yankee Jack

View attachment 110827At Dunster Watermill by Martin Connolly, on Flickr

18242337733_8cd0644cb9_b.jpg
Dunster thatched cottage

this one processed with Silver Efex Pro (12-32)
18836671136_7d39a90512_b.jpg
P6130046-Edit-1.jpg

One with the 14-45
18242446043_97d3430044_b.jpg
Rosemoor #2

Last edited:
First outings with the new E-M10. I really like the Panasonic 12-32 lens on it, it suits it perfectly. I also found that the i-enhance picture mode is hideous, so I had to re-process everything taken in that mode with the Olympus Viewer software to "natural".

with the 12-32, all SOOC jpegs.
View attachment 110838Montacute window by Martin Connolly, on Flickr

18675283658_da2492e0f6_b.jpg
Yankee Jack

View attachment 110840At Dunster Watermill by Martin Connolly, on Flickr

18242337733_8cd0644cb9_b.jpg
Dunster thatched cottage

this one processed with Silver Efex Pro (12-32)
View attachment 110842Victorian kitchen at Dunster Castle by Martin Connolly, on Flickr

One with the 14-45
18242446043_97d3430044_b.jpg
Rosemoor #2

Really nice series, Martin. But your monochrome treatment - of the Victorian kitchen at Dunster castle, which you processed in Silver Efex - I find especially striking.

Back