Micro 4/3 Micro 4/3 samples

My new/old stock Sigma 30/2.8 arrived yesterday and I was pleased to note it was the current Art Series model with the shiny focus ring. Internals are unchanged from the all plastic original.

Was impressed with how much sky detail was recovered in On1 Raw as it was flat grey to the eye.

Join to see EXIF info for this image (if available)

Wow, skill. I rarely got images that good when I had the 75-300 II.
Thanks Tony! It was kind of perfect conditions for it (for any lens I would guess :) ) - a sunny day and an area where you could get really close to your subjects.

The techniques that make the biggest difference for me with the 75-300mm are:
- stabilize it/the camera with some extra support (even just holding it against a walking stick helps)
- focus manually whenever the subject allows
- develop some strategies for noise reduction and sharpening. Previously I denoised with NeatImage and sharpened with Nik Output Sharpener. Currently I'm testing Topaz AI Clear which does both things at the same time and does a surprisingly good job most of the time.

47675321202_a2f0bbda90_c.jpg
neighbourhood by tilman paulin, on Flickr

46859562085_96f4519a95_c.jpg
bushtit nest by tilman paulin, on Flickr

the second photo is also a nice example of how you can to a degree "save" slightly out-of-focus or motion-blurred photos.
Topaz software has that unique thing of offering customers life-time(?) updates, so I recently got a free update to SharpenAI. It needs a fast GPU (and still takes some time to export the final images) but the results can be pretty good!

compare.jpg

Back