Micro 4/3 Micro 4/3 samples

49197176592_d4df31ed6d_h.jpg
Join to see EXIF info for this image (if available)

RFNS SAVENACA - Smoking Ceremony by Andrew Priest, on Flickr

RFNS SAVENACA (IMO: 4734154) is a patrol vessel registered and sailing under the flag of Fiji. Her gross tonnage is 305. RFNS SAVENACA was built in 2020 by Austral Ships. RFNS SAVENACA length overall (loa) is number 39.5 m, beam is 7.8 m and maximum draught is 2.5 m. The ship is operated by the Fujian Republic of Military Forces.

I photographed the RFNS SAVENACA as she was leaving the AUSTAL Fit out pier northern side to undertake sea trials in the Cockburn Sounds Trials Area on December 10, 2019.

49279802068_61f9bdf2fc_h.jpg

ZHEN HUA 24 by Andrew Priest, on Flickr

Zhen Hua 24 (IMO: 8414726 ) is a heavy lift ship registered and sailing under the flag of Hong Kong. Her gross tonnage is 37,789, and deadweight is 48,184. She was built in 1986. Her overall length (loa) is number 243.85 m, beam is 40.01 m and maximum draught is number 8.5 m. The ship is operated by SHANGHAI ZHENHUA SHIPPING CO.

I photographed the Zhen Hua 24 on her approach to berth at Fremantle Port on December 27, 2019. Zhen Hua 24’s last port of call was Shanghai and her next port of call is Melbourne. She was assisted by Svitzer Eagle and Svitzer Falcon.

Whilst in Fremantle she was attended to by Wilhelmsen Ships Service.

49298501347_9749561b4b_h.jpg

Biggada struggling with the Golden Wave by Andrew Priest, on Flickr

Golden Wave (IMO: 9819911) is a Chemical/Oil Products Tanker registered and sailing under the flag of Panama. Her gross tonnage is 7,250, and deadweight is 12,493. She was built in 2019. Her overall length (loa) is number 124 m, beam is 20 m and maximum draught is number 8.77 m. The ship is operated by Dorval SC Tankers Incorporated.

I photographed the Golden Wave on her approach to berth at Fremantle Port on December 30, 2019. Ship name last port of call was Melbourne and her next port of call is Singapore. She was assisted Stirling Skate and Biggada. The smaller tugs in Fremantle did struggle bringing her end due to a quite strong southerly blowing. This photo understates the effort that the Biggada was putting in to slow down the Golden Wave.

Whilst in Fremantle she was attended to by Inchcape Shipping Services.

49232855931_83ed375684_h.jpg

GEO CORAL by Andrew Priest, on Flickr

GEO CORAL (IMO: 9492579) is a research vessel registered and sailing under the flag of Norway. Her gross tonnage is 12,812, and deadweight is 5,500. GEO CORAL was built in 2010. Her length overall (loa) is number 108.3 m, beam is 24 m and maximum draught is 7.52 m. The ship is operated by CGG EIDESVIK SHIP MANAGEMENT.

I photographed the GEO CORAL on her approach to berth at Fremantle Port as the sun was setting on December 17, 2019. Her last port of call was Singapore and her next port of call is Portland.

Whilst in Fremantle she was attended to by Monson Offshore Agency.

E-M1 & 9-18mm

l79JoAXuovp4ZrUsDdQydIyn5Gx-QQneqXD3pnqfXTGvlwDuokXA4F_o1Qd4rgYPxvMtteAB9x-V8OGG7KPeHDbgYF5qCX-er7V4X9nagXS1XzXLQtCk-LTCZx4MPEnK4twixr5207ltUyk9WQftpuHIAP6MsQy8uO13BugfaTHSFs5Kkd2vnk1Ad53eu45UjmQwMozUlBRx87JdrrSKhNqtUi84nzTgHOgUlUXgdyy2ViQH_nMOdjCDS0xhLXR9WawZikYvdaaUpljVf2XAjBKgBir8ykjuYR1UFnXf0JAnw7zDPwR4IBY8xgal0DrdCMJzRBoYl7KmmUMPez0HXa3szxpiqEwZElyoqZrBvSYm9YcviOjv7H-HJEgrM0KQhzKYAyHopyeFcuy_Kp3vPjzjMlF7Pdq3MoF_08ljrlQJQxZV-_cqbGft3UH_oeB3AY34yjBPdgPc4o8izC1H4seLg0g8UbVRpey1d16tVIYjkOy6EpEN4xp06aISyjL-ZlNj4fqQ4esFb9Bn0oEF9p89awfL2_TTJcH0-9TUzeTgmotw6IYRmrgfoyH_P865AZnm2DlwkxNL3xha10p27a5yzbwWOBYr3yRUM8zkw1Zw7Mrz6OBziMWtMhZU3hTiswl_NZqNuF4Oa2qGkzQNEnFpqPWmeuxuTHeLusSP-PuTMW8sN7HK0LcLLJQAE_YKfoVSYds62-wXPAkAkf7cFBAGgnOZqIO10192BslKPmrqGV_n=w1884

49378694208_de52ff111f_h.jpg

Rio Blanco - Container Ship - Fremantle Port by Andrew Priest, on Flickr

Rio Blanco (IMO: 9348089) is a containers ship registered and sailing under the flag of Singapore. Her gross tonnage is 73,899, and deadweight is 80,115. She was built in 2009. Her overall length (loa) is number 286.45m, beam is 40 m and maximum draught is 13.50 m. Her container capacity is 5,905 teu. The ship is operated by MAERSK LINE A/S.

I photographed the Rio Blanco on her approach to berth at Fremantle Port on January 13, 2010. Her last port of call was Port Chalmers and her next port of call is Tanjung Pelapas. She was assisted Svitzer Eagle and Svitzer Harrier

Whilst in Fremantle she was attended to by Inchcape Shipping Services.

49439160511_43751e3ccc_h.jpg

Viaduct at Mirandol - Chemin de Stevenson-2018-D7-06 by Andrew Priest, on Flickr

Our first sighting of the rather impressive Mirandol Viaduct at the hamlet of Mirandol, only a short walk from Chasserades.

Day 7 of 12 – Chasserades to Le Bleymard: Walking the Chemin de Stevenson (GR 70 Robert Louis Stevenson Trail) in the south of France.

I overhyped myself about the Panasonic pancake...

...and it manages to almost exceed my expectations!

The body is also half decent, the IQ certainly is exactly what was promised -- the camera hardly shows its age in IQ department. Dare I say, the noise pattern at ISO 400 and then pushed 2 stops further in post remains very nice, at least on the level of Pen-F.

I so wanted to score an E-PM2 instead of the almost-identical E-PL5 in order to get maximum weight savings (50 grams) but the tilt screen solution of this camera is so neat and gives great support, now I am not missing the fixed-screen E-PM2 anymore. A couple of buttons on the body and the battery/card hatch actually behave nicer than the Pen-F.

The body could handle a bit better and the menus are pure Olympus, which were some of the reasons I was fed up with Pen-F. But only this time I paid 70 € for this and not 850 €...

2020-02-06-17-27-P2060021.jpg

The loveliest thing is the whirr sound this body makes when making longer exposures. Sounds like a large format camera :D

A close friend of mine and fellow photographer has been hyping the virtues of his Pen F to me for a few years and finally I got sick of hearing how great it was and decided to do my own first-hand verification of both the virtues and the vices of this camera (when one came up for sale at a reasonable price from a fellow forum member). And...first observation: it feels quite 'good in the hand', as some like to say. Second observation: Olympus menus are logical but truly not designed to be your friend. But (saving the best for the last, here) .... third observation: that funny little wheel on the front (which fans and critics alike have pointed out bears a more-than-passing resemblance to the funny little shutter knob on the ancient Leica III's of bygone years, not to mention the one on the classic half-frame analog Pen F from a half century ago --- well, it contains two very cool functions for playing with both monochrome and color settings. The key word may be 'playing with' - this camera definitely has a playfulness to it which is rather refreshing.

Also, my favorite and almost-but-not-quite-small-enough-to-be-a-pancake micro four-thirds lens - the PL15 aka the Pana-Leica 15mm (the equivalent of a 30mm FOV, an interesting compromise between the 28mm of Ricoh's and the classic 35mm of so many photographers) - actually seems to fit really nicely on the F.

Have only taken one photo with it so far...but more will follow. (And I suspect a bunch of them will be SOOC Monochrome 2 JPEG's...but only time will tell.)

Autorretrato_Pen_F.jpg

49499058173_799a2b24c6_h.jpg

Mirandol Viaduct - Mirandol - Chemin de Stevenson-2018-D7-11
by Andrew Priest, on Flickr

A second perspective of the Mirandol Viaduct. This time from below the viaduct having passed underneath and now in the hamlet of Mirandol itself.

Day 7 of 12 – Chasserades to Le Bleymard: Walking the Chemin de Stevenson (GR 70 Robert Louis Stevenson Trail) in the south of France.

This was taken using one of the Pen F's built-in 'Color Profiles' - color profile #3, which supposedly is the one which semi-mimics the extreme saturated colors of some slide films (Fuji's Velvia comes to mind), but which has its own interesting characteristics. Considering the bright two-tone nature of this old Ford, this choice (#3, albeit with slight post tweaking) seemed to be the right one at the time ;)

Ranchero_Rear_PenF_Color3.jpg

In every group there are the misfits, the outsiders, the wild bunch.
At my local Oregon organic food market, I found them huddled in a corner---

Reindeer+Cow_PenF.jpg

No question in my mind, these animals were the ones who must have inspired George Thorogood's classic lyrics:
B-B-B-B-Bad to the bone ;)

Back