Micro 4/3 Micro 4/3 samples

A real torture test for bokeh quality..

2020-10-02 (Fri) 18-03-27.jpeg
Join to see EXIF info for this image (if available)

The brave pancake does very nice job 90%+ of the time if you ask me. Its bokeh remains filmlike, whereas some m4/3 lenses turn defocused areas into ugly haziness.

View attachment 236513

Couldn't agree with you more about the many superb qualities of the tiny 12-32 zoom. It's truly an underrated lens - except among those who have used it.

Just for fun, three different versions of the same shot taken with my Pen E-P3...

The first uses one of my favorites among the built-in Olympus jpeg 'Art Filters' - in this case, the PinHole filter - which seems to give this image the kind of brooding pre-Halloween darkness it deserves--

EP3_Oct2_ZombieHalloweenBride(PinHole).jpg

The second began with the RAW version, processed lightly in Nik's Color Efex for enhanced contrast, and then with an old Lightroom plug-in by X-Equals (Xel) that mimics an old Kodachrome with an interesting warmish tint--

EP3_Oct2_ZombieHalloweenBride(KodachrMem).jpg

The third and last was processed in Nik's Silver Efex--

EP3_Oct2_ZombieHalloweenBride(SilverEfex).jpg

Taken with the ridiculously inexpensive Pergear 25mm manual focus lens, at f/4.

A century or two ago, I bought the tiny 9mm Olympus 'body cap' fisheye lens - an inexpensive and ridiculously thin/tiny little piece of glass which has a fixed aperture (f/8) and a tiny plastic lever giving 3 choices of focus - infinity (for distant landscapes) - close up (less than .2 meter) - and a third choice for everything else. For this picture I used the 'for everything else' setting, as well as the E-P3's in camera PinHole 'art filter' setting. And---

And while this tiny little bit of plastic is not truly the equal of some of the much, much pricier fisheyes I've owned and used - it's surprising me with its image quality...

EP3_Oct3_Fisheye_PeeWee.jpg

...not to mention the 'fun factor' ;)

The combination of an inexpensive 'toy' lens (the Olympus 9mm fixed f/8 fisheye) and an old (2011) camera with a seemingly antiquated ('only' 12mp) sensor ... is nonetheless a fun one for me: it keeps challenging me to see my world differently. Or maybe just to look at objects I take for granted in a different way. This is an old (late 1980's) pickup truck, that is still useful for carting loads of rubbish or fertilizer or whatnot--

EP3_Oct22_Isuzu_pickup#1.jpg

Almost every review of the lens that I read, before buying it, seemed to concur that it was pitifully un-sharp. Another reason why it's good to make up one's own mind.

EP3_Oct22_Isuzu_pickup#2.jpg

Cameras, like trucks or wheelbarrows, are just tools, after all.

EP3_Oct22_Isuzu_pickup#3.jpg

Working with a distorted rectilinear fisheye is also a constant reminder of the quote supposedly attributed to the great Robert Capa: "If your pictures aren't good enough, you're not close enough."

EP3_Oct22_Isuzu_pickup#4.jpg

The other nice thing about some older mu43 camera bodies is: they're really small. Not quite as pocketable as a Ricoh GR - but some of them - like my E-P3 - and like the tiny Lumix GM1 and GM5 I used to own - still seem to have been beautifully built and finished.

EP3_Oct22_Isuzu_pickup#5.jpg

This series all started out as RAW Olympus DNG's, and were lightly processed in the old, free Nik Silver Efex (which is still rather fun to play around with).

Back