Micro 4/3 Micro 4/3 samples

bum-2.jpg
Join to see EXIF info for this image (if available)

44761594684_4447c4988b_h.jpg

Abandoned - Le Puy-en-Velay - Chemin de Stevenson-2018-12 by Andrew Priest, on Flickr

Exploring Le Puy-en-Velay in the evening. It is hard to grasp the age and sense of history at times of the buildings and alleys we wandered down.

Day 0 of 12 - Le Puy-en-Velay: Walking the Chemin de Stevenson (GR 70 Robert Louis Stevenson Trail) in the south of France.

Here are some quick (SooC) shots from the GF1 with the 12-32mm OIS zoom. It's somewhat wintery outside, and of course Auckland is in Level 4 lockdown, so I am confined to subjects around the house.
P1000228.JPG

P1000227.JPG

P1000229.JPG

With dull lighting...
P1000159.JPG
P1000175.JPG

Some B&W - The dynamic B&W setting is in the Film Mode section of the menu, whereas in my GM5 and some later models, that setting is already a filter.
P1000191.JPG
P1000192.JPG

P1000193.JPG

P1000213.JPG

Now I understand why MFT users are saying that older 12MP sensors give that certain film look. The 12-32mm has really good contrast with this camera.

Last edited:
@Tilman Paulin Lovely shot, Tilman.

However, I still think that a decent longer FL lens is better than tight cropping. With very rare exceptions.

I think that this shot is more a tribute to your skill than anything else.

It certainly shows that a 20 MPx high pixel density sensor allows for a lot of cropping, given an excellent shot to start with.

@Tilman Paulin Lovely shot, Tilman.

However, I still think that a decent longer FL lens is better than tight cropping. With very rare exceptions.

I think that this shot is more a tribute to your skill than anything else.

It certainly shows that a 20 MPx high pixel density sensor allows for a lot of cropping, given an excellent shot to start with.
Thanks John! :)

I agree that a quality longer focal length lens is always preferable.
I basically never crop (except for tiny amounts maybe) and always prefer to be able to compose with the right framing in the viewfinder…

In this case I was just thinking aloud… I tried the same photo with the 75-300mm - and the 75mm 1.8 just was so much better.

I think one of the main weaknesses of the 75-300mm comes into play here - when photographing towards the sun it suffers from bad lack of contrast… I bought the lens hood for it - but of course didn’t use it :D
The photos were also taken through a plexiglass door - so I very likely caught a bad/different reflection when using the 75-300mm at the longer focal length…
I’ll have to do a more technical / fair comparison basically … :D

I really like the 75-300mm for what it is, and rarely use the 75mm 1.8… Guess that result took me by surprise :D

49191336178_87eea83526_h.jpg

Go Sirius by Andrew Priest, on Flickr

Go Sirius (IMO: 9545871) is an Offshore Tug/Supply Ship registered and sailing under the flag of Singapore. Her gross tonnage is 3,260, and deadweight is 3,156. Go Sirius was built in 2012. Go Sirius length overall (loa) is number 75.27 m, beam is 18 m and maximum draught is 6.6 m. Her container capacity is 0 teu. The ship is operated by Go Offshore Asia Pte Ltd.

I photographed the Go Sirius on her approach to berth at Fremantle Port on December 9, 2019. Go Sirius’ last port of call was Dampier.

Whilst in Fremantle she was attended to by Monson Offshore Agency.

Using the SLR Magic 8mm f4 with my GH3 for my Webex & Teams calls - very handy focal length (also gives me an appreciation for the FOV on webcams compared to camera-lenses too). Took it out for a quick bit of cat-video. I have no idea how to edit or enhance whatever comes out of the camera and for some reason I threw out iMovie so did a quick conversion in QuickTime / Handbrake.

Can't seem to embed flickr video so you'll have to settle for a jpg and click through.

51566584268_c7822d1b3a_o.jpg
Untitled by Walter Kernow, on Flickr

Back