Micro 4/3 Milky way attempt...

Djarum

All-Pro
Name
Jason
full.jpg

Shot with Panasonic 15mm and epl5. Just a single frame.

Luke, in my case at least, the milky way was a bit less clearly visible with the naked eye than in this photo, but it wasn't a huge difference. You could make out the basic shape, of 2 light bands with a dark band inbetween, quite easily.

I suppose one needs to know where to look for it, as well
If you can find Cassiopeia (the W shaped constellation) the Milky Way runs across that. As with the Pleiades it often looks best if you look slightly away from it as your eyes are more sensitive to light coming from the side. Or just wait out in the cold until you get used to the dark!

Nice! Some of the brighter stars really pop. Was it taken near your home?

I got this one way up in the mountains of the Caucasus (roughly 2200m / 7200 feet above sea level; X100, SOOC jpeg). I've always had trouble getting the X100 to focus exactly at infinity for those star shots...
30025714460_bbe3499611_h.jpg
So Milky
by bartjeej, on Flickr
When I had a serious go at Astro photography last winter I found that focussing at nearer than infinity produced better results. About 1mm on the focus ring did the trick. That was on a Fuji 35mm lens, YMMV. I'm going to try my E-M10 with the Olympus 17mm 1.8 some evening when the clocks have gone back. The live time feature looks promising for this kind of shot.

I suppose one needs to know where to look for it, as well

To be honest, if the sky is dark enough (being in the desert or the mountains and far away from modernity helps), you really can't miss it. I couldn't recognize any constellations beyond big dipper even if my life depended on it, but in a properly dark sky, the milky way just stands out. Here in the Netherlands, even in my parents' village there's way too much light pollution to stand a chance of seeing it; there're only a few places left in the country where you can properly see it, unfortunately.

so this is visible to the naked eye? It's been awhile since I've been in the middle of nowhere, but all I remember is lots of stars...nothing so elaborate.

Lol. No, this was pointed at the dark side of the beach. Still tons of light pollution. I'd have to drive 50 miles to find a dark site.

When I had a serious go at Astro photography last winter I found that focussing at nearer than infinity produced better results. About 1mm on the focus ring did the trick. That was on a Fuji 35mm lens, YMMV. I'm going to try my E-M10 with the Olympus 17mm 1.8 some evening when the clocks have gone back. The live time feature looks promising for this kind of shot.

Micro four thirds lenses will focus beyond infinity in my experience. I had to manually focus on a bright star.

If you can find Cassiopeia (the W shaped constellation) the Milky Way runs across that. As with the Pleiades it often looks best if you look slightly away from it as your eyes are more sensitive to light coming from the side. Or just wait out in the cold until you get used to the dark!

Also, looking at Sagittarius is looking at the galactic core. Looking at Orion is looking out toward the edge of the milky way. This shot is Sagittarius .

Back