Mind game: mission-critical camera

Definitely Pentax or Olympus with an appropriate lens. Their weather proof models have a proven record of reliability under extreme conditions. I would even choose over the top Canon and Nikon models

So, strictly from an environmental "sealing" point of view, is there any reason to choose Pentax over Olympus or Olympus over Pentax? I've tried searching for comparisons with regard to the sealing but have not found any. Pentax would definitely be bigger and heavier.

Cheers, Jock

Just for fun. I didn't see an 18-135mm WR on the list for the Pentax, so I chose the 28-105 WR. It is interesting that the MFT Olympus combo is heavier than the APS-C Fuji combo, and nearly as heavy as the Pentax DSLR combo.

Compact Camera Meter

But choosing a K3II is adding unnecessary additional weight. There are other current lighter Pentax DSLRs which have weather sealing. I’d probably choose a K70 instead. Yes, it will still be heavier, but thats because its not mirrorless.

But choosing a K3II is adding unnecessary additional weight. There are other current lighter Pentax DSLRs which have weather sealing. I’d probably choose a K70 instead. Yes, it will still be heavier, but thats because its not mirrorless.
Understood. I'm not very familiar with Pentax models. I just chose a model that has a rugged magnesium alloy build, like the X-T1 and EM1-II. I once had a K30, which was mostly polycarbonate, and it was also weather sealed. I have, in fact, considered buying another K30, but I always ask myself "Why? What can it do that I cannot do with my current camera?" <sigh> GAS.

Last edited:
Understood. I'm not very familiar with Pentax models. I just chose a model that has a rugged magnesium alloy build, like the X-T1 and EM1-II. I once had a K30, which was mostly polycarbonate, and it was also weather sealed. I have, in fact, considered buying another K30, but I always ask myself "Why? What can it do that I cannot do with my current camera?" <sigh> GAS.
It's not only GAS - weather-sealing would bring peace of mind in many respects. I'm waiting to see what the Olympus E-M5 III will bring to the table, then I'll decide if I upgrade my :mu43: system (for which I have suitable lenses) or get a fully weather-sealed zoom for my Nikon D750 (my Sigma 24-105mm Art is a lovely lens, but huge and, crucially, not weather-sealed, so it's not a do-it-all solution). The lens I'm looking at is also big and heavy, but it's shaping up to be a true upgrade in all respects: the Tamron 24-70mm f/2.8 SP G2 ... So, I'll close that gap in my setup within the next year for good. The camera would be the more welcome upgrade (portability is very important), the lens the more effective one because it'd fit on my best camera. But as some of you have pointed out, the proof of the pudding is in the eating - and I often hesitate to take the D750 with me because of bulk and weight. Though actually, just taking the camera and the 24-105mm is manageable ...

Anyway, as usual, compromises proof more expensive (and plentiful) than consequence ...

M.

I have the 23mm f2 WR for my Fuji X-T1, which does make for a light, compact combination. However, I've never tried it out in more than a light rain. I remember taking my OM-D E-M5 with an Olympus ZD 14-54 MkII and an MMF-3 sealed adapter out in heavy freezing rain. The system never even burped. Not sure I'd have that confidence in the Fuji WR, although BobbyT over at sister site Fujixspot recently took a Fuji WR setup out into the middle of a hurricane . . . literally. Got some great images. Since there is no ISO standard for weather sealing (that I'm aware), we're pretty much left to our own discretion as to how far we'll go with our gear.

So, strictly from an environmental "sealing" point of view, is there any reason to choose Pentax over Olympus or Olympus over Pentax? I've tried searching for comparisons with regard to the sealing but have not found any. Pentax would definitely be bigger and heavier.

Cheers, Jock

I haven't had any personal experience with Pentax WS cameras but I've shot in heavy downpours with my EM1 and 40-150pro, usually putting them away wet too...

It has also been sprayed with salt water from several pissed off octopie while I was trying to take their portraits and not cleaned up for about 24hrs with no ill effects.

A Nikonos III.

If going with a camera requiring batteries- digital or film, get one that allows use of an external battery that can be held under your arctic coat. The Nikon F2 had such a battery pack for the meter and servo-unit.

Good thought. I'll look into it.

Cheers, Jock
From the Panasonic Aussie site

"

Splash/Dustproof Rugged Design
To be tough enough to withstand even heavy field use, the LUMIX FZ300 adopts a splash / dustproof rugged design. It comes with sealings onto every joint, dial, and button to pass the stringent test quality standards of our flagship DSLM (Digital Single Lens Mirrorless) cameras. You can trust the LUMIX FZ300 for outdoor photography under harsh weather conditions from marshy jungles to windy deserts.
"

Might even get one myself :) Sometime.

Back