Minimalism and abstract

This is a small section of the surface of a concrete pier, which was built from a composite of older materials from a demolished bridge, plus some new concrete and various "sea shells" etc.

image.jpeg

Could be worthwhile defining what we mean by Minimalism. My own interpretation is the stripping away of extraneous unnecessary details. In writing it is the avoidance of too many adjectives and information. Visually and literally for me It’s Something as pure and simple as you can make it.

Less is More a quote attributed to Mies Van de Rohe who actually borrowed it from someone else and made it his own.

Mies quoted this phrase to a client who complained about the design she was given. She replied in a letter My dear Mies …“Less is simply Less”

So it doesn’t suit everyone then.

Others have turned the phrase around – Less is a Bore. Less for More. More for Less.

And then we have “More or less” which predates them all

Minimalism - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia a good read.

Could be worthwhile defining what we mean by Minimalism. My own interpretation is the stripping away of extraneous unnecessary details. In writing it is the avoidance of too many adjectives and information. Visually and literally for me It’s Something as pure and simple as you can make it.

Less is More a quote attributed to Mies Van de Rohe who actually borrowed it from someone else and made it his own.

Mies quoted this phrase to a client who complained about the design she was given. She replied in a letter My dear Mies …“Less is simply Less”

So it doesn’t suit everyone then.

Others have turned the phrase around – Less is a Bore. Less for More. More for Less.

And then we have “More or less” which predates them all

Minimalism - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia a good read.

Or maybe minimal might be minimizing the impact of any given object by surrounding it in some way so that it doesn't stand out. I suppose it would be easy to go too far with that and kill the meaning entirely, so that's a risk....

I find the composition minimal, but to me the texture is a bit busy. Anyway, it's one of those crane like personnel lifts shot from below.

Back