Minimalism and abstract

View attachment 255080

This is actually a street name, albeit a quirky one as place names go - "basket-let" or "lil basket" would come close ...

M.
Was there a Basket Market on that street in a time long past?
I don't think so - I think it's just a place name (some landscape feature - a small dip in the ground perhaps); it's probably vaguely discriptive, no deeper significance. But it *is* a somewhat intriguing. I'll nose around next time ...

M.
A follow-up ... not minimalistic at all, that's why you have to oben the attachment if you want to see the image.

Finding out more turned out to be quite interesting - almost forensic with some bits of landscape archeology involved, but here goes. It's actually something to do with the terrain - there is a sizeable depression in the ground, forming a natural basin that, being the lowest point in the area, is bound to have been waterlogged most of the time. And I think the name stems from appearance of the pond that must have existed at times - linguistically, "Korb" (or "Chorb", as the Swiss around here say) is related to "Kurve" - curve, "Chörbli" just being the dimuitive. The fact that water collected there and made the ground boggy was significant enough that in order to build the railway through the area, they actually had to avoid the spot and build an embankment around it!

Later, someone decided the cut-off little corner would make a good place for a couple of big blocks of flats, but even though it's a nice enough area close to the forest, it's also right next to the railway line - which is very busy and hence, very noisy, so, not an ideal place to live for the discerning ... That's why it became, in typical Swiss fashion, a sort of small ghetto for people with lower income, most of them immigrants or their descendants. Things like that always get to me - I can't go into it because it'd get very political, so I'll stop here.

Anyhow, obviously, in order to build the blocks, they had to drain the area. However, it's still below the natural ground water levels, so this has to be an ongoing effort. And I actually have proof: The image shows the actual water line, behind the posher houses behind and above the blocks which you see peeking through (the yellowish building in the background).

(Now you can click on the attachment ;))

M.

Attachments

• L1003023.jpg
    L1003023.jpg
    791.6 KB · Views: 78
A follow-up ... not minimalistic at all, that's why you have to oben the attachment if you want to see the image.

Finding out more turned out to be quite interesting - almost forensic with some bits of landscape archeology involved, but here goes. It's actually something to do with the terrain - there is a sizeable depression in the ground, forming a natural basin that, being the lowest point in the area, is bound to have been waterlogged most of the time. And I think the name stems from appearance of the pond that must have existed at times - linguistically, "Korb" (or "Chorb", as the Swiss around here say) is related to "Kurve" - curve, "Chörbli" just being the dimuitive. The fact that water collected there and made the ground boggy was significant enough that in order to build the railway through the area, they actually had to avoid the spot and build an embankment around it!

Later, someone decided the cut-off little corner would make a good place for a couple of big blocks of flats, but even though it's a nice enough area close to the forest, it's also right next to the railway line - which is very busy and hence, very noisy, so, not an ideal place to live for the discerning ... That's why it became, in typical Swiss fashion, a sort of small ghetto for people with lower income, most of them immigrants or their descendants. Things like that always get to me - I can't go into it because it'd get very political, so I'll stop here.

Anyhow, obviously, in order to build the blocks, they had to drain the area. However, it's still below the natural ground water levels, so this has to be an ongoing effort. And I actually have proof: The image shows the actual water line, behind the posher houses behind and above the blocks which you see peeking through (the yellowish building in the background).

(Now you can click on the attachment ;))

M.
Nice investigative work! Thanks! :)

Back