Minimalism and abstract

View attachment 258324

Minimalism, its not a category I have meditated much upon nor pursued in any amount, but perceive this as one possiblity?

I think the line around minimalism is far from sharp and clearly defined and is mostly a matter of personal interpretation.
I like to keep my "experiencing" of photography output away from an analytical level as much as possible and keep it all about feeling. Probably because I have a really analytically oriented job and photography has always been a counter balance for me.
That's just saying I don't like dissecting or analysing images or music and literature for that matter. I rather try to experience the totality. And I like to give others the same privilege.
But since you asked :) , for me this image is somewhat too much on the figurative side to agree with how I perceive minimalism, Jens.

These on the other hand, are a perfect match for me:

But of course, as it is expressed nowadays: YMMV or as we learned in school: de gustibus non disputandum est - one cannot reason about tastes (and colours).

Let's keep it as easy as possible. We're no judges on a contest panel. I'd prefer to take the two criteria of the thread name in the widest understanding possible. Minimalism in the sense of reduction to the smallest amount of whatever and abstract in the sense of everything that's not concrete. And let's the posts show us who has had a creative, brilliant, cute, astounding moment when he released the shutter and leaves us just exclaiming *wow*.

As to your doubts, Jens, I had no problems with your post seeing that this (concrete) fish is reduced to its head only. So no abstraction here but definitely minimalism. BTW, I love the colours.

Last edited:
Let's keep it as easy as possible. We're no judges on a contest panel. I'd prefer to take the two criteria of the thread name in the widest understanding possible. Minimalism in the sense of reduction to the smallest amount of whatever and abstract in the sense of everything that's not concrete. And let's the posts show us who has had a creative, brilliant, cute, astounding moment when he released the shutter and leaves us just exclaiming *wow*.

As to your doubts, Jens, I had no problems with your post seeing that this (concrete) fish is reduced to its head only. So no abstraction here but definitely minimalism. BTW, I love the colours.
As the one who chose the over-arching title for the thread to concentrate the kind of images it currently contains, I would agree that it's best to keep an open mind: You decide if something fits into this thread - who're we to tell you off if something appears "not suitable"?

When the thread was pulled together from several orphaned ones, it was virtually lost and forgotten. I'm happy about it being alive again - and I welcome the kind of participation it has seen lately.

View attachment 258324

Minimalism, its not a category I have meditated much upon nor pursued in any amount, but perceive this as one possiblity?

@JensM As far as I am concerned, your stuff fits, period. Not that it's up to me to tell you that, but here goes ...

If anyone needs a manual for posting here, I'd say: Reduce to the max ... whether by excluding stuff or presenting it in any other "reductionist" way, well: Your creative choice ... I'll be back in bit, this time I promise I'll add another image to this thread (I rarely go out with such a precise goal in mind, but there you are ...). I know just the thing ...

M.

IMG_2542.jpg
Join to see EXIF info for this image (if available)

After some delibertation, I decided to keep the colour ... The green adds context (this is *not* a front door ...).

M.

Good points all around, fellows.
My comment was somewhat meant as a bit of hedging my bets as well as start my own train of thoughts, so to speak.

The abstract bit I think I have somewhat of a understanding for, but as I havent really reflected over what minimalism in photography contains, I put up the comment. Some small reflections after that, has led me to think about minimalism as somewhat that contains few elements, and/or few colour tones/shades of grey but with a "clear" depiction of a subject, whilst the abstract don't neccesarily conform to that notion, but is shapes/colours/shades/textures. I`ll post an example of each:

Abstract-4.jpg
Minimalism-2.jpg

Not that it matters as such, but it helps me harness the work. I set out to explore abstracts some years ago, and have worked on it some.
I have never explored the "art" side of photography as such but have worked on the documentation side of things, a bit of freelance work and some Press and Information officer (PIO) stuff on and off back in the 90s early 00s, as well as other information/documentation things of the same ilk.

So working without assignments/directions is somewhat that I want/need to harness, I have had some thoughts about writing a post in the "Photography Chat" sub-forum on this, hoping to raise a discussion on the topic. :drinks:

Back