Minolta AL-E, removing Top Cover to clean the Viewfinder.

Brian

Product of the Fifties
RIMG1041.jpg
Join to see EXIF info for this image (if available)
RIMG1042.jpg
RIMG1043.jpg
RIMG1044.jpg
RIMG1045.jpg
RIMG1046.jpg
RIMG1047.jpg
RIMG1048.jpg
RIMG1049.jpg
RIMG1050.jpg
RIMG1052.jpg

This camera was released around 1968 , did not have a long run. It features a 40mm F1.8 lens, 6 elements in 4 groups. It is slightly larger than the Canonet QL17GIII. The viewfinder is auto-parallax corrected, with projected brightlines. The camera has full manual operation, and shutter-preferred automatic. The battery has corroded the chamber on this one, but cleaned up nicely. I have some batteries on order.

This is a nicely made, compact camera. 2020 resolution- shoot some film.

This one was more difficult than the HM-9 to clean the viewfinder. Putting new light seals was easy, the HM-9 gave me a fit. My "goto" seal that has worked for me for 30 years caused the back on the HM-9 to jam. I use a self-sticking "foamie" sheet. Worked on the AL-E, the HM-9 demanded Velvet.

You may not be able to see a difference- but the finder is now crystal clear, the dirt/grime is out of the nooks and crannies, and the seals have been replaced.

RIMG1053.jpg

Last edited:
Minolta_Canonet.jpg

And I thought Minolta did not make a small full-frame camera until the HiMatic-E came out. The latter develops a LOT of problems in the electronics.
This AL-E is beautiful, solidly made, mechanical camera. Much better construction than the over-priced HiMatic 7s-II, which I also have. The AL-E and Canonet QL-17L (and GIII) represent the "Silver Age" of fixed-lens RF cameras.

The PX-625a batteries arrived- I half suspected the meter was out on this one, given the corrosion in the compartment. It was.

I removed the bottom cover, found the wire from the negative terminal to the meter was off. Lots of corrosion, the lead was also heavily corroded.
Exacto knife used to cut-back the now too short wire, bent the lead downward to give enough slack for the remaining wire to be reattached. Used a soldering iron to reconnect the wire, very tight space to work in. Had to use a screw driver and fine tweezers to get the "blue" wire up onto the terminal. Third attempt was the charm- meter now working.

I'm not very good at soldering- ends up looking like a 1960s transistor radio when I finish.

Back