Manual Lens Minolta MC Rokkor PF 58mm f1.4

Coksic

All-Pro
Name
Mladen Čoko
A good old manual focus lens, with nice reputation. Well kept and preserved, it feels like new. Having many Helios 58mm lenses, I'm used to the focal length. On a crop sensor, it just feels right.
It's fast, with 1.4 aperture, which is often challenging with focusing, because my X-E1 doesn't have the best focus peaking. Wide open, it is a bit soft, while it sharpens up very quickly at 2.8 and smaller apertures.
Stopped down to 5.6 it is razor sharp.
It's one of those Thorium coated lenses.

00002404_2.jpg
Join to see EXIF info for this image (if available)

00009791-Pano.jpg

00009763-Edit-2.jpg

00009746-Edit.jpg

00009501_2.jpg

00009268-Panog.jpg

00009496_2.jpg

I thought you were selling one?
I had one on C-list for a short time, but then, while cleaning it up, I realized it was in better shape than the one I'd had for thirty+ years, so I kept it. The bottom side isn't scratched at all and the meter works with a battery in it so why not keep it. I can afford the space and I like those cameras a lot too. Actually wanted one way back in '68-69 but ended up with a Mamiya Sekor instead. Hated that camera with a passion too.

I like mine so much I bought another. I also have the older, pre hills and valleys version. The older version is also a great lens, but not quite as magical as the latest MC. I believe the vintage of the coatings came out just right on the latest 58/1.4, but we will never know for sure since they were not produced as MD's. Maybe the MD coatings did not work out so well on this one. That's OK, we need our Thorium! :yahoo:

I have a 1.4 and 1.2, both inherited from my Dad. I had a second 1.4 that I thought about keeping but decided I had to thin some stuff out, so it went along with a second SRT-101 body I had. It was either that or dump the little X370 and 50/2, and since the one set was a duplicate it seemed to make more sense. Plus, the X370 with the 50/2 is a fun little kit to use.

I have a 1.4 and 1.2, both inherited from my Dad. I had a second 1.4 that I thought about keeping but decided I had to thin some stuff out, so it went along with a second SRT-101 body I had. It was either that or dump the little X370 and 50/2, and since the one set was a duplicate it seemed to make more sense. Plus, the X370 with the 50/2 is a fun little kit to use.
I would lust after that 1.2, but the current going rate on these makes my wallet ache to think about it :(

I like mine so much I bought another. I also have the older, pre hills and valleys version. The older version is also a great lens, but not quite as magical as the latest MC. I believe the vintage of the coatings came out just right on the latest 58/1.4, but we will never know for sure since they were not produced as MD's. Maybe the MD coatings did not work out so well on this one. That's OK, we need our Thorium! :yahoo:
I don't think I've ever seen a 'pre-hills and valleys' one. Can you post a picture of it?
I have a 1.2 lens of a different maker and find it a chore to use wide open as the DOF is so shallow as to be near impossible to get focus correct. Stopped down it takes nice pictures but not any nicer than the 58 1.4's stopped down do, IMO.

I'm afraid Just Sunday, I nuked the photos of that lens alone, but I have this one on camera. Next time I'm taking photos indoors, I'll try to get a couple of better shots.

DSCF3966.png

That old X-700 looks like it's gone a round the world. It actually did, three two times. It's probably been to more Asian towns and cities, not to mention the Jungles, than most Americans.

Back