Manual Lens Minolta MC Rokkor PF 58mm f1.4

DSC06543.JPG
Join to see EXIF info for this image (if available)

99% certain this was taken with my 58 1.4.

It's a lot of money for legacy glass, and had I not inherited it I wouldn't own one. It does, however, make nice photos!
I was thinking about this. I quote myself: "Sumtimes ah thiiiiink." :blush:

Anyway, the 1.4 version is loved for reasons like the colors in general (both yellowed and de-yellowed), skin tones and the filmic look when adapted to a digital camera. I've wondered, but never asked if the 1.2 is loved for the same reasons or for being a better lens in other ways.

I'm not sure I've ever known anyone to state they own both.

I love mine 'cause a long, long time ago I took a picture of my son when he was little. My mom saw the picture and asked if I'd used my old SR-T to take it. When I said yes she said she'd pay to have it CLA'd by Minolta. That if I could do that kind of photography with it in the shape it was in, it would be worth it. I'd bought it used and well worn, but not really worn out. The camera came back from Minolta in like new condition and has been with me for over 35 yrs now. I'd fallen in love with them when my neighbor came back from Vietnam with one twenty years earlier and he let me borrow it one time. I probably love those cameras more than my Nikon FE, since it's electronic, not mechanical.

Anyway, the 1.4 version is loved for reasons like the colors in general (both yellowed and de-yellowed), skin tones and the filmic look when adapted to a digital camera. I've wondered, but never asked if the 1.2 is loved for the same reasons or for being a better lens in other ways.

I'm not sure I've ever known anyone to state they own both.
Most old Minolta glass is respected for color rendering. This is the 58/1.2 made with an SRT-101 on Kodak 200. It was developed by the Darkroom in CA, and is the lowest-quality scan available.

47997145352_e76605429d_o.jpg
000276280012 by telecast, on Flickr

Most old Minolta glass is respected for color rendering. This is the 58/1.2 made with an SRT-101 on Kodak 200. It was developed by the Darkroom in CA, and is the lowest-quality scan available.

View attachment 300423000276280012 by telecast, on Flickr
Nice!

I have 4 zooms spawned from the Minolta/Leica love affair. These lenses are nothing short of amazing. Minolta colors, close up capability and prime like quality. I can pack one of the wider zooms and one medium zoom and cover 24 up to 150 or 200mm plus an X-700 or Fuji X with adapter and it fits in my smallest bag.

@AlwaysOnAuto I will try to get a photo of that early MC 1.4 this weekend. Honeydo/darkroom/day job could get in way. I heard in heaven when you take a week off you can actually not work for everyone else.

I have a few Minolta lenses, this shot is with the 50mm f1.4 plus speed booster.
View attachment 300538
You can never get a photo this good without buying a $1200 native lens for a 60Mpix camera! So, please don't break those rules :laugh1:Of course I am only joking, good mate:laugh1: Oh, what happened? Am I speaking Oz or Brit? :laugh1:

Seriously, you and others have some nice photos posted in this thread.

The Minolta MC Rokkor-PF 1.4/58 (3rd version) is one of my favourite lenses. It should be distinguished from the earlier Auto-Rokkor 1.8, which had weaker anti-reflective coatings. On the cropp matrix it is an ideal lens for portraiture, its way of showing the background is reference. We can adjust the depth of field according to individual needs. Supposedly even better optically is the Rokkor-PF 1.2 version, but its price is currently $750. This expensive Minolta and Canon FD 1.2/55 SSC are probably the best lenses at realistic prices.

The Minolta MC Rokkor-PF 1.4/58 works superbly with analogue cameras, only there it shows its true potential. I will never sell this lens :)

Below three samples with this lens and Fuji X-T1:
DSCF0766.jpg

DSCF0765_01.jpg

DSCF0764_01.jpg

Last edited:
The Minolta MC Rokkor-PF 1.4/58 (3rd version) is one of my favourite lenses. It should be distinguished from the earlier Auto-Rokkor 1.8, which had weaker anti-reflective coatings. On the cropp matrix it is an ideal lens for portraiture, its way of showing the background is reference. We can adjust the depth of field according to individual needs. Supposedly even better optically is the Rokkor-PF 1.2 version, but its price is currently $750. This expensive Minolta and Canon FD 1.2/55 SSC are probably the best lenses at realistic prices.

The Minolta MC Rokkor-PF 1.4/58 works superbly with analogue cameras, only there it shows its true potential. I will never sell this lens :)

Below three samples with this lens and Fuji X-T1:
View attachment 302969
View attachment 302970
View attachment 302971
I guess these pictures were shot with different apertures?

Back